Ford Released New Super Duty Power Numbers...GM now last - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hal Hughes
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Who cares? GM, Ram and Ford will all pull with ease anything that a pickup should be towing. I would much rather see GM be the leader in reliability (get the emission crap fixed) and fuel mileage.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
duramex
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock View Post
Not sure what the Ford or Ram was. The problem with manufacture sponsored test such as these they almost never compare apples to apples and often forget to tell what each truck had as far as power plants or even what year the truck was.
Perhaps someone who knows the Fords and Rams can tell us what they were.

As for the Ram I believe you have to get into a 3500 series to get the high torque Cummins and the Japan Asian transmission.

I suspect if someone does ever compare the three 2015 stock off the show room floor 2500 series the Ford may come out on top but the Ram will most likely still be last. With the 3500 series the Ram may come close (but will cost several thousand more due to the Asian transmission) or even possibly be ahead of the GM but it will still be very close.

With grade braking I suspect the GM will still be King.
WELL FROM WATCHING THE OTHER VIDS I AM SURE THE FORD IS THE NEW TOP DOG THEY HAVE OUT
BUT IF YOU WATCH THE ONE FORD PUT OUT THEY WIN BUY A LAND SLIDE

Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
duramex
Diesel Boss

so here is this one put out buy ford. notice how they dont use 2015 trucks for gm or ram
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
gmduramax
Diesel Champ

Notice how the Ford has 4.30 gears and they do a standing start

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

If you notice in the Ford comparrison, the Ford had 4.30 axles vs the 3.73 GM. Drop the Ford back to 3.73 and see what happens. I was unaware you could even get 4.30's in a Ford unless you went up to the 450.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
If you notice in the Ford comparrison, the Ford had 4.30 axles vs the 3.73 GM. Drop the Ford back to 3.73 and see what happens. I was unaware you could even get 4.30's in a Ford unless you went up to the 450.
Its amazing how much you can twist advertising around to suit your needs.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
GoneNomad
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramex View Post
lets run them up a hill and see what really happens
Speaking of which...

Quote:
We knew that meant a Silverado vs. Super Duty rematch—but not just any rematch. This time we set out to find which manufacturer builds the most powerful pickup by taking each truck over one of the toughest tows in America, with a gross combined vehicle weight (GCVW) approaching 28,000 pounds....
Upon weigh-in (with both trucks full of fuel), we noticed the Ford was only 200 pounds heavier than the Chevy—making for a pretty even matchup. In fact, in the years this staff has been conducting vehicle shootouts, we’ve never seen such evenly matched trucks...
we were left wondering how the high-output (400 hp) version of the new 6.7L Power Stroke would have faired against the 397hp 6.6L LML Duramax. Surely with 800 lb-ft of torque, the new Super Duty should give the 765-lb-ft Duramax a run for its money in a test of power, right?

Nope. It wasn’t even close.

Once again, the Chevy proved to be the superior performer when it comes to acceleration testing. In every towing test we ran on I-70, the Silverado 3500 outperformed the Super Duty F-350. The Silverado made it through the quarter-mile more than 2 seconds quicker, achieved a top speed that was nearly 10 mph faster, and finished the entire climb more than 2 minutes ahead of the Ford. The Duramax performed significantly better at 11,000 feet of elevation as well, pulling the 18,900-pound load at 47 mph, while the Ford slowed to 35 mph. Check out our acceleration testing sidebars for the full results. Acceleration Test Winner: Chevrolet Silverado 3500

The exhaust brake test brought out similar success for the Duramax and Allison combo. As we began our downhill run, the Ford required an average of 14 applications of the truck’s brake pedal to hold the vehicle speed between 50 and 60 mph. The exhaust brake was clearly working, but the nearly 28,000 pounds (with four people in the truck) was more than the Ford could control without driver input.

The Chevy on the other hand, crested the top of the hill feeling like a totally different kind of vehicle. Just by the exhaust noise we could tell the Duramax’s Garrett turbo offered far more exhaust braking than the Garrett unit the Power Stroke uses. Going downhill in the Chevy, the driver had far less work to do. While the Super Duty managed the load by hitting the brakes 14 times, the Chevy only required 1 brake application for the entire 8-mile downhill run. While the difference in hill climbing between the Chevy and the Ford is impressive, the exhaust braking advantage of the Silverado is staggering. Exhaust Brake Test Winner: Chevrolet Silverado 3500

Before the tow test began, we drove both trucks 1,250 miles out to Colorado from Detroit. This served as both an initial break-in process, and a fuel economy challenge for the two trucks. Thanks to the fact that a majority of the miles accumulated were in light traffic and on flat ground along I-94, I-80, and I-76, we were able to see what kind of mileage these trucks can achieve out on the open road. Cruising speeds were kept between 65 to 80 mph the entire trip, and drivers swapped trucks at each fuel fill-up.

We found that both trucks were comparable in the mileage department, with the Chevy edging the Ford by less than 0.7 mpg. See our fuel economy side bar in the February 2011 issue of Diesel Power for a complete analysis. Fuel Economy Test Winner: Chevrolet Silverado 3500...

ref.: Diesel Power's King Of The Hill Shootout
Since the 400/800 Powerstroke F350 was decisively beaten by the 397/765 LML Silverado, maybe the new 440/860 Powerstroke F350 will manage to achieve parity in similar tests... but either Ford's numbers are inflated or else they're going to consume more fuel to do the same work. Maybe some of both?

Last edited by GoneNomad; 03-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
lavarock
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramex View Post
WELL FROM WATCHING THE OTHER VIDS I AM SURE THE FORD IS THE NEW TOP DOG THEY HAVE OUT
BUT IF YOU WATCH THE ONE FORD PUT OUT THEY WIN BUY A LAND SLIDE
The reason the Ford video won was the rear end gear ratio. The Ford video was from a standing start. The GM video was a start from 50 mph or so. The 3.73 has proved to be the ideal ratio for the Duramax/Allison at legal highway speeds.

I am much more interested in how my truck will perform at posted speed limit up the hill. I am not very concerned with who will be ahead at 500 feet from a standing start. I do not spend any time at the local drag strip with my truck and 5th wheel. But I have many hours logged pulling many hills in the Western USA.
I want a truck that can maintain legal speeds up 6% grades so I do not imped traffic. Also prefer one that will go down that same hill at posted speed limit without having to use the brakes.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
GoneNomad
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
For Ford's marketing tests, ALL options are "on the table"
...including things like the F350 RATO edition.
Ford is still working out some minor problems with the landing, however...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F350 with RATO option.jpg (204.8 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by GoneNomad; 03-07-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
GoneNomad
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hughes View Post
Who cares? GM, Ram and Ford will all pull with ease anything that a pickup should be towing. I would much rather see GM be the leader in reliability (get the emission crap fixed) and fuel mileage.
Yeah, better fuel mileage was (I guess) what the 4.5L Dmax was intended to provide, while still providing much more power & torque than the ~3 liter diesels that are cropping up here & there in pickups & SUVs. All it will take is a prolonged period of >$5 diesel prices to reinvigorate interest in better fuel economy and less interest in towing insanely heavy payloads being pickups, giant or otherwise. Of course, Canadians are already paying that, so maybe it will take even higher fuel prices than $5/gal.

I would much rather see a factory 4WD option for 2500/3500 vans, myself. GM is already the only US automaker to offer 4WD in a full-size van, but limiting it to the 1500 series leaves anyone who needs to haul and/or tow much with any option except a pickup/C&C with box or a Quigley conversion. I know vans aren't as "cool" as pickups, and they're aren't as many buyers because truck sales are boosted by retail buyers who don't really need a truck anyway, but every time I haul some 12-foot long stuff (and close the doors), I am reminded that 1n 8-ft. bed won't do.

Or how about offering a more off-road capability for the HD pickups, including an OEM front locker?

A turbocharged dual fuel gasoline/natural gas engine from the factory with a lower price tag than the conversions now available might be good too.
Use the $1.50/GGE 130 octane natural gas as needed (something "smart" OEM ECMs are good at) to allow a higher compression ratio and higher boost ro provide better cruising fuel economy and more power on demand.

There are a lot of other improvements GM could make besides staying in the horsepower & torque one-upsmanship merry-go-round.

Last edited by GoneNomad; 03-07-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in