LLY differences to LBZ - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
1lbz4me
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LLY differences to LBZ

With the 06 LLY I read a thread here that suggests the 06 LLY (that I am looking to purchase tomorrow) is basically the same as the LBZ except for the programming. Other changes listed for the LBZ apply to the LLY also in 06. e.g. the 6 speed, the lower compression and the larger radiator.
Can anyone comment on that?
I drove both and LLY and an LBZ today and as a rookie could not tell the difference but both had 50 and 30 miles on respectively so neither would be working at its best. The LLY did seem smoother than the LBZ.

If that is the case then adding a power programmer to the LLY gives you more HP at much less cost.

It looks like I will have to change my name to 1LLY4me .

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

The '06 LLY and LBZ are more or less the same in terms of general design, electronics, turbo, etc... However, I dont think the LLY has the different engine internals as the LBZ and I DONT think it has the same compression ratio as the LBZ. So, the LBZ basically has the stronger block and 16.8:1 compression ratio...those are the only differences. Everything else as far as I know is identical between the two engines.

--ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
gmmerlin
Diesel Fanatic

The LBZ has different heads and other internal upgrades to handle the new updated calibrations.
It also uses GM LAN communication protocals, no FICM and the IAH is back.
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmerlin View Post
The LBZ has different heads and other internal upgrades to handle the new updated calibrations.
It also uses GM LAN communication protocals, no FICM and the IAH is back.
...so does the 2006 LLY. Electrically and physically on the outside, they are identical. Same manifold, IAH, intake, glowplug system, etc. The only difference about the LBZ is the lower CR and strengthend mains and journals.

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
gmmerlin
Diesel Fanatic

Sorry I should have elaberated a little more.
In 2006 the Duramax went under some substantial changes and the changes are the same for the LLY and LBZ.
Compression ratio and internal changes for the LLY and LBZ are the same in 06
The only difference between the 06 LLY and LBZ is the calibration
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
1lbz4me
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmerlin View Post
Sorry I should have elaberated a little more.
In 2006 the Duramax went under some substantial changes and the changes are the same for the LLY and LBZ.
Compression ratio and internal changes for the LLY and LBZ are the same in 06
The only difference between the 06 LLY and LBZ is the calibration
gmmerlin

Where do you find that information? I don't doubt it but would like to read up more because as of today I am an owner of a 06 silver crew cab LLY. I shall pick it up tomorrow when I have the bed liner and other things done.

Do you think this LLY could be recalibrated to LBZ specs? or is it better to buy a tuner of some sort? I have alot to catch up on because I am new to deisels but I can't wait to go for a long drive with the RV trailer I have.

Have a great day! I know I will .
Old 12-19-2005, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
bgreen776
High Compression

Hey, mine is a silver 06 lly too, and I was wondering this exact same thing.

THE Alaskan Discussion Forums www.alaska4x4network.com

Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

sorry..but I kinda disagree...I dont think the 2006 LLY and 2006 LBZ have the same block's. The LBZ block is strengthened...im almost positive the 2006 LLY block is the same as the LB7 and (old) LLY blocks.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
RichLockyer
Diesel Veteran

The LLY does indeed have the reduced compression.

The block? No clue really... trying to get casting numbers from people. I don't know where to look on mine.

But....

Logically.... the LLY remain in 310hp form for the H1 and some other vehicles, the LLY remains, detuned to 250hp for the vans.
Why would GM build two different blocks?

OTOH, the head is where the reduced compression comes from, but other improvements are thicker rods and a heavier wristpin. No way of knowing if the LLY has those without a teardown until someone is able to pull up the fische for the '06 models.
Member A(ACLU) #5150 Agent Riceburner

Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=27

there. RIght from GM. The LBZ has a differnet block.Theyre SIMILAR but definetly not the same.

Where did you get your info GMMERLIN?

EDIT: sorry I didnt mean for that to sound like a smarta$$ comment..no offence intended

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread