LLY differences to LBZ - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I still stand by my oppinion that the 2006 LLY has the same block, rods, compression ratio of the LB7's and early LLY's. The LBZ is where the heavy duty changes occured (CR lowerd, strengthend block, etc..). Im kinda confused why this is being so hard to actually find out.

--Ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
gmmerlin
Diesel Fanatic

Even though you will challenge everything I say, this information came straight from GM in their new 6600 DMax update training video.
GM makes changes to many of its engines without changing the VIN designation, this usually only occurs when the basic engine is improved.
Changes like between the LB7 and LLY (which were major) will bring about a VIN change.
From everything I have read and seen, Owners of a 2006 LLY have all the LBZ improvements, just not the calibration updates for the horsepower and torque.
The 2006 LLY and LBZ have the following improvements.
Increase boss webbing
Pistons
Head and head gaskets
Lower comp ratio
Larger EGR cooler
Improved cooling system
2 piece cam gear
Intake Air heater
Raised fuel pressure (26000 psi)
Programmable injectors
FICM has been eliminated
GM LAN communication
GPCM is programmable (injector ID)
Glow plug thread location has been moved
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The only difference between the 2006 LLY and LBZ is the LBZ has the increased horsepower and torque from different Calibration updates.
This information came straight from the GM Training update video for Duramax updates and features for 2006.
All dealers (Chevrolet and GMC) who sell and service the Duramax trucks should have received this update video. It has been around at the dealer since August or September.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

...what is so hard about loading up LBZ software? Why did it take them an extra 3 months or so? Im just confused because in that earlier email striaght from GM Powertrain, the engineer said htat the 06 LLY and LBZ were different. And I wouldnt be surprised if the engines actually were different, but the GM video said they were the same because GM didnt want to bother to make two different videos. The parts that the tech's mainly work on (read: not the internals) are identical...so that would allow GM to save $$$ and make only one video.

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
gmmerlin
Diesel Fanatic

According to the part books the 05 LLY and the 06 LLY are different numbers.
The 2006 LLY and LBZ heads have the same part number (05 is different)
With all the info I have, I would stand by the fact that the 2006 LLY and LBZ are the same engine with different calibrations.
Believe what you want......
Old 12-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
socaldieseltech
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmerlin View Post
According to the part books the 05 LLY and the 06 LLY are different numbers.
The 2006 LLY and LBZ heads have the same part number (05 is different)
With all the info I have, I would stand by the fact that the 2006 LLY and LBZ are the same engine with different calibrations.
Believe what you want......
Heads, pistons, and rods are same part# for 06LLY and LBZ. 06LLY is the same as an LBZ except for programming from what I gather. I can't get a part# for the block alone at this time. 05 and 06LLY have different heads, pistons and rods, among other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread