Info: gm no longer american?!?!! WTH - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
02D-Max-Dave
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 02D-Max-Dave

gm no longer american?!?!! WTH

i heard that gm has plans in the works to move production oversees. has anyone heard more about it? how would feel about driving a non american truck? idk about all you guys, but if gm goes oversees i have purchased my last gm...i love my 2010 3500hd, and the duramax is the best motor...but ill have to start driving an american truck, as much as i hate to say it, id look at fords. the powerstroke blows, yet it is american. i want to know what everyone thinks and feels about this, and what do you all know about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
MTU alum
Diesel Pro

I think you had too much eggnog at xmas or started early for new years eve. There are a bunch of gm haters out there.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

As it stands now, there's more "American" in my Komatsu and Volvo equipment, than there is in my GM trucks. What's the big deal about GM moving? The current Gov't and all the previous generations have made it conducive for all manufacturers to build elsewhere, and, so long as that continues, Gm may have to build overseas to survive.

What I'm getting at is that you need to be mad at Uncle Sam for not raising trade barriers and tariffs to ensure that businesses stay here.

It's almost as if all the politicians have stakes in foreign countries and foreign corporations.

**** free trade. It costs more to build here because we have a higher standard of living (among other things such as better quality of life due to "some" EPA regulation enforcement). You wanna build something overseas that we can build here, you should have to overcome high trade barries to do business here, period.
Don't think that for a moments that there aren't high tarriffs on american built products that are sold in China, Japan, Asia, etc....
BUT, we are so deep into foreign dependence that you can't just turn it off or around, just like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
plowboy-one
Diesel Starter

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Going overseas is the fastest way to get rid of the overpayed uaw workers and start making a profit.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
C/K Man
Glow Plug

Ford's new 6.7L Powerstroke diesel engine is made in Mexico.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
newdude
Diesel Starter

Woah there not everything on the internet is true. It is if you believe it. After what has just happened with GM in the past couple of years, moving production would be a dumb idea. No way would it make sense to build plants overseas when they can re-tool and refubish factories that they have owned for 50, 60, heck 70+ years. Just about every US market car is made in the US or Canada, maybe even a couple in Mexico. Same goes for their powertrains. The Duramax may have been a GM/Isuzu thing but the motors are built here. After being bailed out by the USA, and repaying back those loans in stride, GM has alot in my opinion indebted to the American people and its workforce.

Last edited by newdude; 01-02-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Down8
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Down8 Send a message via AIM to Down8 Send a message via MSN to Down8 Send a message via Yahoo to Down8

Nor-Cal Diesel Place Club Member

Indebted < In Debt.

I believe in Capitalism, so it often makes sense to go where the cheap labor is. And, while I think Free Trade is right, in principle, heymccall is right in stating that other countries practice Protectionism quite readily against the US.

GM already builds trucks in Canada & Mexico. That will likely continue, as will compact car importing. You can fit a lot more of those kei-car imitators on a ship than you could 3500DRWs.

-bZj
Traded
: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT - Crew Cab/Standard Bed, 6.6L Duramax Diesel, 4x4
Wife's Retired: 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS - Extended Cab/Standard Bed, 5.3L Vortec V8, Z71
T-Boned: 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE - Extended Cab/Standard Bed, 5.3L Vortec V8, Z71
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
02D-Max-Dave
Self Ignition

Send a message via AIM to 02D-Max-Dave

i know some....

i know some of everything comes from oversees, i just hate to think that the majoritiy of the truck could be forgien, i consider canada and mexico apart of america, albe it North American. i hate Toyota, i think the usa should make a 50% import tax on goods, and lower the export tax, but that screws the world up. make it easier for american companies while not ticing off the forgien ones. we should protect our GM and Ford but GM needs to stay in the good old USA if they want me to buy trucks from them, its that simple, i refuse to buy any forgien vehicles. trucks inculded. Gm was born in America and should stay American. sell overseas sure, import some parts okay, but build the product here. I can agree that the Union workers are overpaid, work it out, or simply hire non union, most of it is done by robots these days anyway. the duramax to the best of my knowlege is currently build in canada, to me thats okay. The truck is assembled in the USA. Lets keep it this way. Would any of you buy a toyota? The issue is the government, clearly, yet the system is broken, and idk how it can be fixed, all i know is whenever i have a choice i buy Made in the USA, even if it means spending a little more money, because i know the extra money will stay in america!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
powerdog
Diesel Boss

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...than-gm-u-s-a/
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/K Man View Post
Ford's new 6.7L Powerstroke diesel engine is made in Mexico.
fords "american fully in-house" engine is made in mexico and our "japanese" engine is made in usa, lolz.

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive

Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; 01-07-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in