Info: gm no longer american?!?!! WTH - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
powerdog
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
fords "american fully in-house" engine is assembled in mexico and our "japanese" engine is assembled in the usa, lolz.
Fixed it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
Fixed it
the only things that come from japan on our engine are the raw head, crank, and rod castings. When I say "raw" I mean raw, like the cranks dont have any journals machines on them, the rod caps havent been split, and the heads dont have any bolt holes drilled in them. The pistons are from Federal Mogul.

Everything else is balanced, machined, assembled, blocks cast in the US, everything else cast, and tested here in Ohio. And when I say tested, I mean actually hot tested. Every single duramax engine that comes off the line is started and ran on a dyno to check for rated power output, dynamic compression, temperatures, leaks, and oil pressure.

Ford and Dodge (cummins) dont do that. All they do is spin the rotating assembly cold with an electric motor and say "ummmkay we got oil pressure, ship it".

You say the ford is just "assembled" down south. I didnt know ford made all of their engine parts here in the US and then shipped them down to mehheeco to just be bolted together.

ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive

Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; 01-07-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Utahski
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
the only things that come from japan on our engine are the raw head, crank, and rod castings. When I say "raw" I mean raw, like the cranks dont have any journals machines on them, the rod caps havent been split, and the heads dont have any bolt holes drilled in them. The pistons are from Federal Mogul.

Everything else is balanced, machined, assembled, blocks cast in the US, everything else cast, and tested here in Ohio. And when I say tested, I mean actually hot tested. Every single duramax engine that comes off the line is started and ran on a dyno to check for rated power output, dynamic compression, temperatures, leaks, and oil pressure.

Ford and Dodge (cummins) dont do that. All they do is spin the rotating assembly cold with an electric motor and say "ummmkay we got oil pressure, ship it".

You say the ford is just "assembled" down south. I didnt know ford made all of their engine parts here in the US and then shipped them down to mehheeco to just be bolted together.

ben

Ben.....the guy's a TROLL. Doesn't know squat and loves to show his ignorance whenever he can.
60'-1.76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Micheal Tomac
Diesel Superstar

the 2012 Chevy Sonic (replaces Aveo) will be built in Lake Orion, MI

2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CCSB LB7
2.5 Turbo, ATS dual CP3's, Crower rods, SoCal stage2 heads, SoCal Cam, SoCal Pushrods, ARP head & main studs, Exergy Injectors, Kennedy lift pumps, FASS 150, EFI Live, PPE Manifolds & up-pipes, Banks Intercooler, ATS Extreme trans, ATS Copilot, ATS 5 Star, ATS flywheel, 5" DHD intake, 5" DHD exhaust, 4" ATS downpipe, Elocker, DHD Spool, SCS Axles, pulling hitch, tierod sleeves, centerlink brace, traction bars, 315x70x17 BFG AT's & some pulling mods = 2014, 2015, 2016 MTTP ProStreet Diesel Points Champion, 2009 & 2011 MTTP Hot Diesel Points Champion, 2009 NADM 2.8 Diesel Points Champion, 2006 & 2007 DIESEL POWER CHALLENGE WINNER, 2007 best 1/4 mile 11.24 @120 mph

Last edited by Micheal Tomac; 01-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
RLJ676
Diesel Apprentice

GM is not moving truck production overseas, or anything else for that matter. Silly internet rumor at best.

Oh, and Isuzu is leaving the D-max JV....so we can quit hearing the "Japanese" engine crap, although it hasn't been really true for quite a while given the amount of GM development in the recent iterations.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
02D-Max-Dave
Self Ignition

Send a message via AIM to 02D-Max-Dave

i see the ups and downs...

i'm glad to hear that izuzu is gonna be off the d-max. i did read that article about gm in china, thats prob why i heard the rumor about gm moving completly overseas. it should all be Made in America! and we should all demand american everything! after all this is the greatest country in the world!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02D-Max-Dave View Post
i'm glad to hear that izuzu is gonna be off the d-max.
Why? They gave us a pretty darn good diesel engine if you ask me. Americans have made some pretty crappy stuff in the past too.

The last american diesel engine effort to go into a GM pickup truck = 6.2/6.5
the last japanese/isuzu diesel engine effort to go into a GM pickup truck = duramax

GEE which one would 99.999995% of the people on this forum choose, if cost werent an issue. Even the most pigheaded redblooded american idiot would still choose the duramax, regardless of where half its design came from.

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive

Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; 01-13-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Diesel_Day_Dreamin
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
What I'm getting at is that you need to be mad at Uncle Sam for not raising trade barriers and tariffs to ensure that businesses stay here....
Just remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude View Post
.... After being bailed out by the USA, and repaying back those loans in stride, GM has alot in my opinion indebted to the American people and its workforce.
So how's GM stock doing for the share holders, retirees, investors (like me), who lost 3/4 of it's value? That will never be ''paid back''. Glad I got out when I did!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
02D-Max-Dave
Self Ignition

Send a message via AIM to 02D-Max-Dave

Merica

the issue is not where it was designed, its where the majority of the truck will be built. i agree the dmax is the best diesel on the market, and will prob stay as such for a long time, just check out the article in this months Diesel Power Powerstroked gets dumped on, even after the new upgrades that ford made. i'd be glad that izuzu would be off because maybe it'll be cast in America, and the jobs will stay here. it should still be the same awesome motor, what reason do they have to make any major changes?...other than maybe getting it much improved fuel milege/...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02D-Max-Dave View Post
i'd be glad that izuzu would be off because maybe it'll be cast in America, and the jobs will stay here.
the block is cast here, all final machining is done here, and complete assembly is done here. Come on, I think thats just about as "american" as you are going to get in todays global economy/production farming-out.

The cummins and powerstroke have way more foreign components than the duramax does.

If you want something that is actually truly "100% american" then build a time machine and go back ~70 years.

Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; 01-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in