Getting a good deal on a new truck. - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > New Vehicle Information
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

New Vehicle Information Discuss upcoming changes, rebates & offers, and the new vehicle ordering process.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
coloradobrdr

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i really dont think a dealer should ever give up the hold back money...its money that is defined to be given to HELP cover advertising and other expenses

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
390pi

All of the above is great insight... for the novice.

However, I have always dealt directly with the fleet manager and cut through all of the BS and get out the door in 30 minutes.
I have been doing it that way for years for all the cars I have bought.

Why is this such a mystery? It is the only way to go. You do not have to have a "fleet" to deal with the fleet manager.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dmaxsam
Diesel Fanatic

Great post.
and if its all possible don't involve a trade with the new deal. when I bought my truck I did every thing you said but when it came to the trade they said its only worth $9000. I sold it on my own for $16500 that was a $7500 mistake I could have made.
BFG. 285/75/16
PPE Xcellerator level 3 (160 hp)
EGR Blocked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Whaler22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradobrdr View Post
i really dont think a dealer should ever give up the hold back money...its money that is defined to be given to HELP cover advertising and other expenses
I don't care how the dealer profit centers are partitioned. The massive profit from the next guys overly fat deal will pay their advertising cost just as effectively as the holdback from my deal.

And what do you mean "should"? You're not suggesting that it's our responsibility to look out for their bottom line, are you?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Whaler22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390pi View Post
All of the above is great insight... for the novice.

However, I have always dealt directly with the fleet manager and cut through all of the BS and get out the door in 30 minutes.
I have been doing it that way for years for all the cars I have bought.

Why is this such a mystery? It is the only way to go. You do not have to have a "fleet" to deal with the fleet manager.
There's nothing magical about dealing with the fleet manager unless you're getting fleet pricing -- and that does require qualification as a "fleet" -- a status which used to require the fleet owner to submit qualifying VIN numbers to Ford for approval. (Ford used to require a minimum of six vehicles titled in common ownership to qualify for fleet benefits. I don't have any experience negotiating fleet purchases with GM, so I can't say what is involved with that, but I'm sure real fleet pricing requires more than simply making a purchase through the fleet guy -- who is otherwise just another manager.) Here's the other thing. Fleet managers across the country are perfectly capable of "grossing" a poorly informed buyer, so you have to go through the same easy ten minute research process described above.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
hendrix316
Diesel Newbie

hey

I am in your neck of the woods from schenectady which dealerships were u talking about? JIM
Old 11-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Whaler22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxsam View Post
Great post.
and if its all possible don't involve a trade with the new deal. when I bought my truck I did every thing you said but when it came to the trade they said its only worth $9000. I sold it on my own for $16500 that was a $7500 mistake I could have made.
Good for you. I had a similar experience recently. As teh margin narrows on the new vehicles a larger percentage of the profit has to be made on the used vehicles. That's easier in some respects, as it's impossible for us to determine exactly what they paid for the used vehicles and, more importantly, each used vehicle is a little different. Unlike the new vehicles, they're not making an unlimited supply of identically equipped, identical condition used vehicles...

Dealers used to offer us ACV ("actual cash value") on the trades that was pretty close to the KBB ("Kelly Blue Book") wholesale numbers. Now the offers are consistently lower, often by $2,000 or more. I've developed a good relationship with a vehicle wholesaler that takes most of our trades so we don't have to hassle with the dealers. What you did makes MUCH more sense if you have the time to sell the vehicle on your own.

Last edited by Whaler22; 11-23-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Whaler22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix316 View Post
I am in your neck of the woods from schenectady which dealerships were u talking about? JIM
Schenectady? I've never heard of it, but I'm sure it's not Oregon...
Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
390pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler22 View Post
[code]There's nothing magical about dealing with the fleet manager unless you're getting fleet pricing -- and that does require qualification as a "fleet"
Oh really?

I see, so my: GMC Yukon, Honda Pilot, Chevy Impala, Jeep Wrangler....etc, etc. were all a part of my "fleet?" I'm NOT talking fleet order here.

I'm John Q. Public, just like you.

And no, none of these vehicles were titled in a business name. I bought them one at a time; I went right to several fleet managers and got prices on a certain vehicle over the phone (invoice or $xxx above invoice) and that was it. The spead was usually small between different dealers. No middle managers, no haggling, just like Internet purchases.

So, please don't suggest that I don't know what I am doing.

I'm not new to car buying. I negotiate real estate contracts for a living; the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is negotiate for a new car when I don't have to. I also value my time and will not spend the time tipically wasted over the haggling process that you and others describe. There is no need for it.

And also, please, do not give out bad information telling people they cannot get better prices by dealing directly with the fleet manager.
Smart buyers already know of this process; even local credit unions push this way of buying. I'm surprised you don't know of this.

Let people see (and save) for themselves.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dmaxsam
Diesel Fanatic

390pi take it easy on the gay he's just trying to help, all he's saying is do your homework before you go to the dealer. It might be easier to deal with the fleet manager but if you don't know what kind of margin they have you still can leave some money on the table.

BFG. 285/75/16
PPE Xcellerator level 3 (160 hp)
EGR Blocked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread