LML: #PI0564J Wax Coating on Frame Peeling - Dealer substitutes coating? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Warranty Issues, Service & Recalls
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Warranty Issues, Service & Recalls Discuss all of your General Motors Warranty, Service and Recall related issues here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Oregonnovaguy
  • 2 Post By Ron Nielson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kingston
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

#PI0564J Wax Coating on Frame Peeling - Dealer substitutes coating?

The dealer substituted Permatex Heavy Duty Rubberized Undercoating (#81833) for Daubert Non-Rust P/N X-121B (GM12346501), which is specified in the bulletin. The dealer claims to have used the other two materials cited in the bulletin, only substituting the material used in the final step.

I took my 2016 Silverado 2500 to the dealership this morning. A week and a half ago, I’d asked them look at the rusty frame. The factory wax coating was coming off and the frame was rusting. The Dealer determined it would be repaired under warranty, citing repair bulletin #PI0564J. This bulletin outlines the same procedure GM has used for years, expanding it’s application to cover 2011-2018 GM trucks and full size SUVs.

For those unfamiliar with the procedure, I can attach a copy of the bulletin.

When picking the truck up, I noticed, even in the bright sun, several places where there was still rust showing. These were mostly high edges that would have been missed by someone working exclusively from underneath. I asked the Service Advisor to take a look at it with me. The Service Advisor grumbled and started the flow of back pedaling, excuses, and pseudo-technical anecdotal tales. Figuring the path of least resistance would be to touch it up myself, I asked if they had any of the material used for the repairs left. They returned with this...

I was then told another string of fibs like, “this is what GM says to use”, “this is what they give us”, “the steel used in the newer frames doesn’t need coated—it only surface rusts, then stops”, “the coating is only cosmetic”, “there is no detailed invoice showing what parts were used and billed to GM”, etc.....

2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD 4x4, SLT CC LB SR, Silver Birch Metallic, LBZ/Allison, Michelin LTX M/S2 265/75-R16 on PYOs, CURT XD Class V Rear Hitch, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy, Trippin in Yukon Sun Roof console, Z-Series Auto Meter Gauges, MBRP 4" TB, PPE Boost Controller, PPE Hot+2, PPE ABM, Blocked, Resonator Plugged, AirDog 150, Bilsteins, Sulastics, Cognito PM & IA Braces, Cognito HD tierods, Frederico F & R Sway Bars, 3500HD DRW second stage leaf spring packs and frame stops.

Last edited by Kingston; 08-30-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: verb conjugation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

Would have been nice if GM had properly treated the frames at the factory. Glad I don't live in the rust belt.

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.

Last edited by Oregonnovaguy; 08-30-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

https://gm.oemdtc.com/3827/wax-coati...hevrolet-gmc/3

It's pretty clear that the dealership lied to you. This undercoating is not recommended by GM. Whether it will 'work' or not is another question. At a minimum, I would tell them, in writing, that they failed to perform the repair correctly and they must, in writing, state what they did (repair with non-oem approved materials) and warranty their repair for a number of years (10?).
If they don't file complaint with the BBB.

The recommended material is described - When dry, Kryptonite Metal Treatment outlasts hot dipped Galvanized, Powder Coating and Epoxy Coating, A truly unique metal treatment that is applied like a paint but becomes part of the steel itself. Even when steel is physically gouged the Kryptonite Metal Treatment will not bubble or flake or lift next to the exposed area indefinitely.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 08-31-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kingston
Diesel Apprentice

Thanks Ron, that’s great advice. I’ve initiated a complaint with GM. I’m not sure where that will go, but your advice will certainly be incorporated into any resolution pursued.

The lieing is completely disheartening. This particular Service Advisor lied to me over and over, for some of it the Service Manager was standing next to him. This dealership seems to condone the lieing. This isn’t the first time he’s lied to me. I’ve been to this dealership 3 times. This particular Service Advisor handled two of those visits.

Two weeks ago, I went in for a 9:00 AM appointment to have the oil changed and for them to look at the failing frame coating. I was told they’d do both simultaneously, while I waited. I typically perform my own service, but I had two free oil change/lube/tire rotations that came with the truck. They were about to expire and the dealer required an appointment to evaluate the frame coating. This same Service Advisor handled that visit.

Shortly after checking in, I was informed the frame coating issue would be covered under warranty and a second, full day, appointment would be scheduled. The oil change/tire rotation took an hour and fifty minutes... I was ready to get out of there, but was next in line for the complimentary semi-automated spot free wash, which was said to take 10 minutes. I figured, I’d been there this long, what’s another 20 minutes (10 minutes to finish up current car being washed and 10 min for my truck).

When completed the Service Advisor came to get me in the waiting area and explained the reason the service took so long was because rotating the tires from front to back required airing down two of the tires for their new position. This is total BS. The dealer fills all 4 tires to the same 75psi per the label on the door jamb. I just wanted to get out of there and let the unsolicited explanation go.

I get in the truck and jump on the highway, when I notice the rear passenger window is down about 6 inches and the back seat and it’s contents are swamped...........

I immediately call the service advisor, who assures me this never should have happened and shouldn’t reflect on the dealership. He proceeds to tell me the carwash crew and machine, although prominently set up inside the dealership, are operated by a vendor.

This place is a joke.

2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD 4x4, SLT CC LB SR, Silver Birch Metallic, LBZ/Allison, Michelin LTX M/S2 265/75-R16 on PYOs, CURT XD Class V Rear Hitch, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy, Trippin in Yukon Sun Roof console, Z-Series Auto Meter Gauges, MBRP 4" TB, PPE Boost Controller, PPE Hot+2, PPE ABM, Blocked, Resonator Plugged, AirDog 150, Bilsteins, Sulastics, Cognito PM & IA Braces, Cognito HD tierods, Frederico F & R Sway Bars, 3500HD DRW second stage leaf spring packs and frame stops.

Last edited by Kingston; 08-31-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kingston
Diesel Apprentice

Customer Service called today to report that the dealer claims to have followed the procedure and there is nothing more that they can do. The whole experience has been a colossal disappointment. I really felt for the poor customer service girl who get's put in the middle of this. GM's tactic seems to be to institutionalize customer service strategies with the greatest likelihood of sweeping complaints under the rug. I'm flabbergasted at GM's response. Dealers have free rein. Maybe it's time to switch brands.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kingston
Diesel Apprentice

Revisiting this, almost exactly a year later, I've taken the truck to the dealer where it was purchased. I'm still under the 3 year/36K bumper to bumper warranty. The frame continues to shed it's coating and rust. The service advisor just called and tried to talk around the issue, pretending that the frame coating issue only applied to 2011-2014 trucks. It was complete BS. I've also got chrome peeling off the rims.

This is a 2500HD Silverado High Country Duramax—basically Chevrolet's flagship pickup truck.

For reference, here is the latest TSB Bulletin No.: PI0564K

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54649-9999.pdf

Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kingston
Diesel Apprentice

The Service Manager just called and, at first, claimed to not have seen TSB Bulletin No: PI0564K, but acknowledged his Service Advisor's receipt of it. I requested that he look at the TSB and call me back, which he did. In the subsequent conversation, the Service Manager explained that the procedure outlined in the TSB was beyond the capability of the dealership's service and body shop and that it was beyond the capability of any dealership or commercial bodyshop, for that matter. He also stated that the per GM, the rims would need to be re-chromed, but that there's no place that can re-chrome rims.

Laughable...

I asked for these responses and explanations in writing, to which he agreed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in