Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews Detailed articles containing procedures, steps, & images to aid the do-it-yourselfer plus product reviews.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
HooKMHornS
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to HooKMHornS Send a message via Skype™ to HooKMHornS

Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush

Today, I serviced the PS/HB system with a flush; I took some pictures and thought I’d share my procedure I do regularly to prolong the life of the PS and HB units and keep them functioning properly.

ITEMS NEEDED:

Drain pan
Large channel-lock pliers
5-6’ of 5/16” Fuel Line Hose (3/8" will work also, it's just what I had on hand. Clear hose to view fluid is another choice.)
Scrap piece of 1x6
Small funnel
2-3 quarts p/s fluid, Just buy a Gallon Jug, it's cheaper.

Name:  jwrs.jpg
Views: 12043
Size:  118.1 KB

I'm currently using Royal Purple synthetic, but plain PS fluid is fine. I pull heavy in bad traffic and experience higher heat levels than the average user. I've experimented with few different syn ATF with mixed results. None proved superior, some were actually detrimental to performance. Looking for a synthetic PS fluid has proven to be an elusive endeavor. At this time of edit, only RP and AmsOil offer syn ps fluid. Again, regular PS fluid is fine to use.

Here we have the culprit at hand,

Name:  htff.jpg
Views: 11194
Size:  57.9 KB

CAUTION: in the picture below, you’ll see the curved metal brace coming from the cowl. I STRONGLY recommend you place a rag, towel, blanket, or some kind of cushion in this area.

Name:  x3tx.jpg
Views: 11094
Size:  57.9 KB

When giving the final pull on the LP return hose, the release/recoil will have the underside of your wrist striking this, with potential gashes and blood spilled on your truck, resulting in you cussing me later. GrrRRrr I pull mine regularly and it comes off much easier than one that's been on for 70-80k miles.

(Edited with input from DF member fflmlf)
Open the PS reservoir cap to relieve any excess pressure BEFORE pulling the return line hose shown below.

Compressing the spring clamp,

Name:  g0c6.jpg
Views: 14761
Size:  57.6 KB

turn the hose left and right to break the seal, then pull back off the nipple.

Name:  8kbu.jpg
Views: 12927
Size:  61.5 KB

There will be a slight leak of fluid from the hose end when removed, so have a rag or paper towel in hand to catch and not make a mess.

The curved end of the hose (with rag/towel over end) will hook over where the Hydro-Boost unit meets the Master Cylinder, it'll be out of your way and not leak more fluid out.

Re-using the OEM spring clamp, I secure the drain hose at the HB unit

Name:  bjee.jpg
Views: 11263
Size:  56.8 KB

and lay the board down to hold the hose in place with the drain pan in site from the Driver’s seat.

Name:  bhkj.jpg
Views: 11073
Size:  73.9 KB

With the engine running and in Park, SLOWLY depress the brake pedal till it feels firm at the bottom and hold, turn the steering wheel from 12-3 o’clock and hold, release the pedal SLOWLY to the top, then bring the wheel back to 12 o’clock. Look down and you'll see the flow and then you can adjust your speed of press and release actions so as not to spray fluid out of the drain pan. It may take 2-3 times before you see the fluid start to flow.

Here we see the old, burnt, and dirty fluid beginning to flow.

Name:  45i6.jpg
Views: 11011
Size:  72.6 KB

.....................Continued on the next post, I'm too picture happy to conform here.

I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh sh*t, he's awake!"

Last edited by Diaric; 04-18-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: update, fix images
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
HooKMHornS
Diesel Starter

Part 2

Continue the same procedure alternately turning from 9 to 12 to 3 o’clock until you start to feel/hear the steering bind a bit, usually 4-6 pedal cycles, then turn off the engine.

Grab your funnel and refill to the bottom of the neck of the PS reservoir.

Hold up the funnel so you can see the fluid level coming up and not pour fluid all over, usually about a third of a quart at a time.

Climb back in, start ‘er up, and get after it again, repeating over and over till you see the fluid start to run clear. I know it is tempting to do but, PLEASE!, don’t leave it running while you refill the PS reservoir, the danger is too great to have your Left Arm get caught and have it get D-MAXED.

Here, we see the fluid is now running clean.

Leave the drain hose connected, check the fluid level in the pump, and fill accordingly to the Cold Line. It you over fill it, just pump the pedal a few times to drain.

Remove the drain hose, wipe the nipple clean of residual fluid, and replace the Return Line using the Spring Clip.

Start ‘er up, roll forward turning the wheel and feel the new ‘Creamy Cool Whip’ resistance in your steering, and yer ‘Good to Go’.

Consider also:

Your HB unit works in conjunction with your Brake system. Brake fluid is like a magnet for water/moisture and should be flushed annually to aid in longevity to your brake system components AND to keep the fluid's boiling point up to spec.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-...uid-flush.html

Also:

For as little as $35-ish, you can easily add a Power Steering Fluid Cooler to your HD.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-...id-cooler.html

I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh sh*t, he's awake!"

Last edited by Diaric; 11-29-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: pic links
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brad92
Diesel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad92

Lone Star Diesels Member

Nice write up! I'll have to do this...
Reg Cab Member #105
Young and Poor Club Member #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
HooKMHornS
Diesel Starter

Much cheaper than $400 for a Hydro-Boost unit.
Easy and simple to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brad92
Diesel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad92

Lone Star Diesels Member

So no problems using Dexron VI? I would like to use a synthetic and if it won't cause any problems, I would like to use it. I know you can do stuff like that in old trucks, but this isn't an 80's F250 here.
Reg Cab Member #105
Young and Poor Club Member #18
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
HooKMHornS
Diesel Starter

Valvoline was offering a synthetic PS fluid, but they discontinued it. There is an AmsOil product, and the Purple is available over the counter, but I find them cost prohibitive.

I’ve been using Valvoline ‘Full Synthetic’ Dex-VI (we keep it in bulk for our Allison maintenance) without any problems. I’m running in the extreme (33k gcw), normal PS fluid is still good for normal use.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bartman432
Diesel Expert

Awesome write-up and thanks for all the photos. I always wondered how to do this without making a big mess. Thank you again for taking the time to do this.
Wheels: 2017 GMC Denali 20" Chrome
Stereo Upgrade: Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 (6 Channel Amp), AudioControl LC7I (6 Channel Line-Out Converter with AccuBass), Alpine SPR-60C Type-R Component speakers, and (1) 12" sealed JL CS112TG-TW3 PowerWedge Sub
PPE Front & Rear Diff. Covers
USMC Vet, 1988-1992, 3rd AABN YAT YAS
Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
trailwhale
Diesel Boss

Thanks for the write up -agree it is pretty easy thing to do that most forget about until the steering or brakes don't act right....

I have been using Redline Synthetic P/S fluid about 8.50 a quart at my local Car Quest parts store.
LT265/75R16 Michelin AT2
GM PS Cooler with Redline D4 ATF Fluid
Pullrite 18K Superglide Hitch
2008 Rage'N FA 3005 Toyhauler
Member #6 "Oil is Oil" Association
Life is like a coin. Once spent it is gone. Spend it wisely.
Full Throttle – solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
HooKMHornS
Diesel Starter

Thanks! I'll lookup Car Quest around here....see if they're still in business.

Another item overlooked is the brake fluid. After just 18-24 months, on average, there’s enough water contamination to lower the boiling point by as much as 200*.

Add to that, many people will replace the linings and never address the trashed fluid or the sediment formed in the Master Cylinder. Then they'll wonder, "why is the pedal soft, I know I bled the brakes?"
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
CStevenson
Diesel Head

Thanks for the write up last time I pupmped it out I like your way much bettter.

I used AMsoil synthethic power steering only cost $4.80 didn't think it was too pricey. Last time I used AMS synthetic transmission fluid for 75,000 worked fine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in