Detailed water pump replacement with pictures - Page 7 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews Detailed articles containing procedures, steps, & images to aid the do-it-yourselfer plus product reviews.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
flagstaff
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyduramax View Post
thanks for the awesome write up . I ordered the balancer socket and flywheel tool this afternoon . So I fiquired I would start working on ripping it apart to see what I was in for . that nut for the fan..... it is tight tried to used a rubber wedge the pully just spins , jeez can wait to get to the balancer ..... I tried for like 15mins , will have more time tomorrow
You might try reducing the angle of the wedge. I tapped it in with a hammer.

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #62 (permalink)
chicklin
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaff View Post
You might try reducing the angle of the wedge. I tapped it in with a hammer.
Yep, I had to make mine pretty acute to get it to wedge in there far enough to stop the pulleys.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #63 (permalink)
Tuttle
Diesel Fanatic

I used the write-up from The Bac. It was a lot of help. One thing I would add, is if you have the ZF6 Transmission, you don't need to lock the fly wheel. I just chocked the rear wheels, and put it in 6th gear. It took me about 4 hours to replace mine, working on it at night with a head light and flash light. I bought mine from Autozone. It was new, with life time warranty, and had all the seals except the top one for the tube that goes to the thermostats. As far as the fan pully, I just used a steel pin and a hammer on the corner of the nut. These write-ups are great.
Brotherhood of Handshakers Member #177.
1998 Chevy 2500, 5spd Manual, 240,000 miles.
2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71.
1999 GMC 1500 Auto trans. 140,000 miles.(SOLD)

Last edited by Tuttle; 12-28-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
dcmsu
Heat Sink

Just wanted to agree with everyone else on how helpful the write up was. I have always done my own repair work, but it is a lot faster when someone else has done it first and gives you all the little tips and tricks to do it properly the first time.

thanks

Dan
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #65 (permalink)
jb86
Diesel Apprentice

as for the lower radiator hose.
i just installed my new block heater today. i replaced a few cooling hoses, including the lower radiator hose.
the new OEM lower radiator hose has a spring clip installed already and has a retaining clip to keep it loose.
the side that you grab with the pliers is facing down, easy access.
on the hose originally on the truck, the clip was facing up. impossible to get at, at the bottom of the radiator, under the transmission cooling lines, ect.
i removed the air filter box (from the rubber hose), removed the cooling expansion bottle, the bracket under it is easy to remove, it has 2 slotted screw holes, just loosen the 10mm head bolts and it lifts off (and a screw at the rear).
then i removed the lower transmission cooling line from the radiator (slide the plastic collar off and pry the clip out. line comes right out and just a few drips of fluid).
now, you can get on the clip. still a son of a gun to wiggle the hose and slid eit off though.
the new hose was fun to get back in.
i dropped it in from above (from the passenger side) and down into place. the clip was easy once in place.
it probably took me 10minutes to take these parts out and about the same to put back int to gain access to the lower hose.
jon
135k, '02 Sierra 2500, LB7 duramax, allison, standard cab, longbed, 4x4, Air Dog II 100gph, Isspro EV2 gauges - boost, egt, fuel rail pressure and fuel pressure. Isspro turbo temp monitor. PPE boost increase valve. 130k, injectors replaced at 92k. All Amsoil fluids. Kenwood 9960 double DIN in dash nav '03 dash bezel conversion-sweet!
friends don't let friends drive 6.5l's
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #66 (permalink)
showoffmissouri
Gear Grinder

wow,if it was not for you i would be super lost doing that crazy water pump,you the man man!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #67 (permalink)
Blk04HD
Diesel Champ

Guess i'll be tackling this pretty soon myself. Walked out to the shed this morning and seen antifreeze under the truck and running out from under the front drivers side of the truck. Its always something...
MBRP 4 INCH TURBO BACK
EFI W/DSP5
TUNES BY NICK AT DURAMAXTUNER.COM
BCI COLD AIR INTAKE W/ AEM DRY FILTER
BUILT TRANNY BY SMOKIN DIESEL PERFORMANCE
(MIKE BODINE)
W/ML CONVERTER
MOTO METAL CHROME 955's W/305/65/17 DC CRUSHERS
PYOs W/285/75/16 NITTO TGs WINTER
COOTER TIE ROD SLEEVES/TRACTION BARS
ALL ON HEADLIGHT MOD
GOODMARK 2 INCH COWL HOOD
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #68 (permalink)
Idaho_DMAX
Gear Grinder

I am going replace mine this weekend because it has been leaking for last few weeks. One question, when I drain the radiator how much new coolant will I have to put in? I just don't want to buy more than I need. Also I bought a tru flo pump from Napa which cost about $135 twice as much as a new one from Shucks because I am hoping it will be better and I don't want to have to do this again. Any of you guys use the tru flo pumps from napa and were they good?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #69 (permalink)
DuraTitus
Diesel Champ

I believe you will need to add 4 gallons after draining the radiator.

I like to buy the concentrate stuff and add 50% water to it so I only have to buy 2 gallons.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #70 (permalink)
Idaho_DMAX
Gear Grinder

Ok thank you. So anyone use the tru flo pumps from napa?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in