RAP how-to on NBS (Keyed accessory power) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews Detailed articles containing procedures, steps, & images to aid the do-it-yourselfer plus product reviews.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

RAP how-to on NBS (Keyed accessory power)

There have been many questions as to where to locate RAP (Retained Accessory Power) on the NBS trucks. First let me say thanks to heymccall for all the valuable information that allowed this write-up to happen.

RAP is available to us in the MBEC (Mid-Bussed Electrical Connector) located behind the instrument panel to the left of the brake pedal. The MBEC has 10 positions and the one we are going to us is X14. The problem is that RAP here is limited to only 300 milliamps but there are two other battery feeds in the location as well, one is 15 amps and the other 30. So to use the RAP power for anything but the smallest loads is going to require a relay.
Here are the parts you are going to need and the source that I purchased them from but they are available from many other sources as well.

3 Female GT 280 terminals Delphi Part number 15304711 Mouser part number 829-15304711

1 Relay pigtail Parts express part number 330-075
1 Bosch style relay Parts express part# 330-079
1 GM Connector 20791502 (optional)

Here is the relay harness, relay and connectors.

There are 5 wires in the harness connected as follows.

White wire – Relay trigger positive – relay pin 85
Black wire – Relay trigger ground – relay pin 86
Blue – Constant 12v source – relay pin 30
Yellow – NO (normally open) circuit – relay pin 87
Red – relay pin 87a, this wire is not used and needs to be removed.

You will need to install the female terminals on the white, black and blue wires. Since I elected not to spend money for the GM Connector I went ahead and covered my connectors with shrink wrap. I may still pickup the connector but needed to get this done and hadn’t had a chance to get to the dealer and didn’t want to pay GMPartsDirect their freight charges. Here are my finished cable ends.

Remove the cover to the MBEC, it looks like this

Here is a diagram of the MBEC connectors; we need to use X14

A close-up of X14

The connections will be as follows

White wire to Pin 8 - RAP feed
Black wire to Pin 1 - Ground
Blue wire to Pin 2 or Pin 5. Pin 2 has 15 amps which was plenty for my needs. Pin 5 has 30 amps. - Battery feed

The remaining yellow wire will feed your accessories.

Enjoy….

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs

Last edited by diesail; 01-18-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

Just wanted to give a little update. There are two circuits mentioned above as being 15 and 30 amps. If you are looking for the fuses for them they are located in the under hood fuse block. The 15 amp circuit is labeled SEO B1 and the 30 amp fuse is SEO B2.

Summit White

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
JDOG69
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesail View Post
Just wanted to give a little update. There are two circuits mentioned above as being 15 and 30 amps. If you are looking for the fuses for them they are located in the under hood fuse block. The 15 amp circuit is labeled SEO B1 and the 30 amp fuse is SEO B2.
Would this be the correct place to access power for tying in my auxilluary fule pum and air bag compressor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brad92
Diesel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad92

Lone Star Diesels Member

RAP is the function that keeps your radio and other accessories on when you shut your truck off and don't open the doors. For your needs, you would probably want a keyed 12V power wire that is active when your truck key is in the on position, not RAP power.

BTW, good, informative writeup Diesail.
Reg Cab Member #105
Young and Poor Club Member #18
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
JDOG69
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad92 View Post
RAP is the function that keeps your radio and other accessories on when you shut your truck off and don't open the doors. For your needs, you would probably want a keyed 12V power wire that is active when your truck key is in the on position, not RAP power.

BTW, good, informative writeup Diesail.

Where is the best place to grab that power supply. My Truck is 2010 and the guy that installed the stuff went directly to the battery post and i want it to be on a keyed circuit.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
dbunn
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I do not know where you can get them, but I received a piece with my wireless air kit that slides and wraps around the post of the fuse in your fuse block. In the wireless air kit you need keyed power to power the relay so that it can then pull the power from the battery post. It was such a simple installation - pull the fuse that is keyed which is easy to do by using a volt meter or test light to see which one powers on key - then slide this terminal around the post and slide it back in the fuse slot - this end is crimped to the feed wire. If you need more info let me know.

BakFLip HD Tonneau Cover
Air Lift Wireless Compressor
Air Lift Super Duty Air Bags
Linex spray in bed liner
Reese 16k Hitch
Rosen Navigation
265 70 17 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
Fred's 2 inch spacers

Proud member #868 of The 3500 Dually Club
Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

According to the documentation from GM in the same cavity X14 – pin 7 there is 10 amps of Run/Crank power.

Summit White

Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
knaffie
Diesel Boss

Michigan Oil Burners Member

I read this several times and I'm still a little bit confused......... If pin 2 has 15 amps available and pin 5 has 30 amps available, that should be all you need to power almost anything. I don't understand what are you using the relay for.

EDIT: I just thought of something........ Maybe pin 2 and pin 5 are hot all the time, and pin 8 is the one that is only hot key-on, so you're using it to trigger the relay powered by pin 2 or pin 5. Is that it?

SOLD 12/15.... 06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......

Last edited by knaffie; 05-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
I just thought of something........ Maybe pin 2 and pin 5 are hot all the time, and pin 8 is the one that is only hot key-on, so you're using it to trigger the relay powered by pin 2 or pin 5. Is that it?
Yep, you got it. Only pin 8 is switched and it only has small amount of juice available so you can't power much of anything from it.

Summit White

Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
knaffie
Diesel Boss

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Makes perfect sense.

Thank you very much for posting this. I knew there was a better way to get power under there than cutting into an existing circuit.

SOLD 12/15.... 06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in