How to install TRUE down pipe - Done - soon to be in the DIY section - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews Detailed articles containing procedures, steps, & images to aid the do-it-yourselfer plus product reviews.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How to install TRUE down pipe - Done - soon to be in the DIY section

Installation vehicle- 04.5 LLY with MBRP 4" full exhaust with catless pipe.

I haven't noticed any immediate change in EGT's, but it does seem they drop faster. I'll have to keep an eye on them to be sure. The stock down pipe is MUCH heavier than the new one.

Here are the tools you’ll need.
10mm open end wrench - This one for the 3 bolts holding the heat shield on the turbo.
7/16” open end wrench - This one for the clamps on either end of the down pipe itself.
14mm socket and wrench for the retaining bolt on holding the down pipe in place
WD40 to spray on new flange and old bolts
Gloves and a cold engine
I also had to do some machining on mine to make it fit so you may need a dremel as well.

[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/tools.jpg[/img]

DO NOT attempt this on a warm engine. Just starting your truck for a few seconds cranks the exhaust temp to 200+ degrees. Also use some mechanics gloves or be VERY CAREFUL because the heat shielding around the turbo and down pipe is VERY SHARP..I have the cuts on 4 fingers to prove it.

First thing you need to do is remove your front pipe and either remove it completely or just unbolt it and move it back like I did mine. If you have a cat on yours then it might be better to remove it all together since you loosen the 4 bolt flange anyways, on vehicles that have that flange. The front pipe mounts to the down pipe with a band connector and you’ll the 7/16” wrench to remove it.

[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/frontpipe.jpg[/img]

Once the front pipe is out of the way that gives you free access to the down pipe from underneath. You can see the retaining bolt that holds the down pipe secure. Use the 14mm socket and wrench to remove it.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/retainingbolt.jpg[/img]

You don’t need to remove your transmission dipstick completely, but you do need to loosen the bracket holding it to the block so you can move it around, you’ll need this in future steps. There are two nuts holding it down, just loosen them and the bracket slips out on top keeping the dipstick in, but able to move around.

Now go on top in the engine compartment and using the 10mm wrench remove the 3 bolts holding the turbo heat shield on the top. Just lift the shield up and lay it back out of the way. It was more of a pain trying to remove it completely and just easier moving it out of the way.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/location.jpg[/img]

Now you can see the down pipe and where it connects to the turbo housing. Use the 7/16” wrench and unloosen that nut on the clamp. Remember, righty tighty, lefty lucy.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/stockpipe.jpg[/img]

Now the down pipe is loose on top and bottom. To get it free you’ll need to put your hands on it and wiggle it back and forth to get it to come out of the turbo housing. It fits inside of it about a quarter inch. Just keep wiggling it side to side and it will work it’s way out.

Once that is removed from the housing move your transmission dipstick to the other side of the cooling lines shown in the picture. This moves it enough out of the way to get the stock pipe out of there through the bottom. Don’t waste your time trying it another way. I spent hours on this just so I have this down. If you find a better way then let us know.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/dipstick.jpg[/img]

The stock down pipe will come out the bottom with some twisting and turning with no problem.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/sidebyside1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/sidebyside2.jpg[/img]

Now comes the fun part. After trying to install this several times and the retaining hold and bolt would not line up with the new pipe I had to resort to using my dremel. I widened the hole that is on the new downpipe just enough that it doesn’t hurt the integrity at all, but enough that the bolt will fit through it. Instead of a perfect circle in the first picture I had to make it more of an oval shape pointing towards the flange.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/holeb4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/holeafter.jpg[/img]

Ok, once the hole was big enough for the retaining bolt to fit I snaked the new pipe up from the bottom and loosely put the bolt on so I could move it around if I need to. Before you put the pipe in there clean the flange that will go inside the turbo housing very good and get any over spray off of it. It helped me to put some wd40 on that flange as well to help it slide in there. I still had to wiggle it back and forth, but it went in easier with the wd40.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/linesup.jpg[/img]

Once you have the new pipe flange inside the turbo housing, fit the band clamp around it and tighten it down. If the pipe is not all the way flush or is off the clamp will not go on properly and you will have a leak. Take your time because it can get frustrating.
[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/heatshield.jpg[/img]

Now the top is tightened so you can go back underneath and tighten the retaining bolt now because it was basically loose so you could move it around and it kept it lined up.
Then reinstall the dipstick bolts while you can reach.

Reinstall your front pipe whichever one you have and connect it to the new downpipe and tighten loosely. Connect the 4 bolt flange to the mid pipe and then tighten the downpipe clamp down.

Once the bottom is done go back on top of the engine and move your dipstick back to the left side of the cooler lines and reinsert your dipstick. Replace the turbo heatshield on top of the turbo with the three 10mm bolts you removed in the beginning.
I think that’s it….

[img]http://home.***.net/~boquinn/truck/finished.jpg[/img]

If I forgot something or you have any questions let me know

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

I'm surprised there are no comments.. this is a multiple thread discussion, but anyways..

unless there is something I need to change or add or answer I'll be moving this to the DIY section soon.

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mad Maxx
Banned

Ooooo...you want comments and such?!?!

I think everyone was waiting til it was finalized...you had "still adding" posted up, so I think everyone was still waiting.

Did you notice any EGT drop afterwards??

Different Exhaust / Turbo sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
ReconTom77

Thanks alot for that post, very helpfull. I'm buying a Banks pipe on Wed and planned on doing it myself. Got your section printed and ready to go!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
deadsquirrel
Diesel Boss

INDP Member

Midwest Smokers Member

did you have to get a different front pipe piece after this becasue it is a little smaller at the beginning and made to fit into the old pipe???
2005 reg cab K3500 SRW 4x4 LT ~ 285/75/R16 toyo open countries ~ Alcoa wheels ~ 8" CATERPILLAR STACK~ blocked egr ~ 150/150 FASS fuel pump ~ BD exhaust manifold ~ SD tie rod sleeves ~ shimmed ~ Flex-A-Lite Electirc fans ~ AFE stage 2 intake ~ Line-X ~ B&W gooseneck hitch ~ Autometer Cobalt Gauges ~ crankcase vent re-route ~ all on headlights ~ cobra CB radio ~ owens toolbox ~ Bilstiens ~ lots of lights EFI LIVE w/ dsp2 from Duramaxtuner.com(Nick)
SC stage III.5/1058 w/c3 oiler by Fleece Performance
Indiana University
Regular Cab Club Member #37
3500 SRW Club Member #11
Old 09-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
biglor96
Glow Plug

Just got mine in the mail last week, getting ready to put it in, great post man, i'll let everyone know how mine goes. I am also very curios of how this will effect the egts....
Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel;2007255;
did you have to get a different front pipe piece after this becasue it is a little smaller at the beginning and made to fit into the old pipe???
the flanges on either end of the new down pipe are exactly the same size as the stock ones..meaning it will fit your stock catted pipe and most after market front pipes as well.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

I'll keep an eye on my egt's this week, but so far they've been all over the place. I think they are lower then they aren't, I think they are higher then they aren't.

previous EGT's on my truck are:
Idle in gear wth A/C is around 500
Idle in gear with no A/C is around 450 or a little lower
Idle in park usually goes down to 300 or so- my timer shuts down abotu 330
Highway cruising is between 500 and 800
On the pedal they go over 1000 at times in short bursts

most trucks should be pretty similar to this or just lower or just higher.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
01Duramax6spd
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Who's pipe is that? How much did it run?
13 3500 crew cab long bed LML

Buy U.S. grown beef and tire tanks
Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mad Maxx
Banned

How about the sound?? Any change overall??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in