How to add manual high idle (PTO) LLY - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews Detailed articles containing procedures, steps, & images to aid the do-it-yourselfer plus product reviews.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2004, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Max Power
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Due to popular demand here are some pictures and notes of the manual high idle installation on my LLY. We use the PTO function of the ECM to allow us to set the idle up to 1150 RPM or 1700 RPM. Once installed you can press set on the cruise control button while the truck is in park and it will idle up to 1150 RPM. Resume will take you to 1700 RPM. Pressing the brake or shifting out of park will bring it down to normal idle.

First you need to Remove the 2 (10mm) bolts holding the PCM to allow easier access to the ECM.

Unplug the 2 connectors on the TCM and remove the TCM out of the way to give you more room to work.

Here is a picture of the ECM. You need to unplug the bottom of the 3 plugs. There is a tab holding the grey locking lever. You need to push in this tab and then pull the grey lever all the way back.

Then unplug the plug from the ECM.

Next you will need to remove the wire protector cover.

Here is what it will look like from the back side with the wire protector cover removed. You will need to remove the plug from terminal 6. They are marked so you need to count 6 from the marked number 1.

You will need to completely remove the pin lock from the other side of the plug. Make sure you notice which way it comes out so you put it back in the right way.

Next you need to crimp your end on to a wire. The wire should be around 22 gauge.

Next insert the pin into the the plug in the hole that you removed the wire plug from. Sorry I didn't get pictures of that.

Once you see it is snapped into place you should be able to see the pin inserted correctly from the other side. Then you need to reverse your steps. Put the pin lock back in, reinstall the wire cover, plug the connector back into the ecm, plug the wires back into the PCM, bolt the PCM back down.

Then you just need to run your wire into the cab. I recommend buying split loom to keep it looking factory.

Lastly you need to hook up the wire inside the cab. I recommend hooking it up to the brake switch for ease of use and a clean install. Solder it to the green/white wire on the brake switch. This wire is 12+ only when the brakes aren't depressed and the gear shift is in park. You could also wire this wire to a spst switch with the other wire on the switch going to a FUSED +12v or ignition source.

2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L - Sold

2009 GMC Crew Cab, Short Box SLT LMM - Sold
04.5 GMC 2500HD LLY Carbon Metallic - Sold
2003 GMC 2500HD LB7 White - Sold

Last edited by Max Power; 12-24-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Max Power
Diesel Legend

One other thing. Every time you try to engage the high idle for the first time you will have to press set twice. One more push brings it down to normal idle. After the first time one press will idle it up to 1150 again.

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2004, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
IdahoSteve
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Amazing job Max!! Excellent!! Thanks a bunch!!
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
DuckhunterInTN
Diesel Boss

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Great job.

This needs to be a sticky.
2004.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC LLY/Alli 4wd-285 BFG A/T's, Ranchhand Legend Series front bumper, Ranchhand rear pipe bumper with lights, RKI black crossbed toolbox with LED lights, large Montezuma toolbox in bed, 1/4" angle iron steel bedrails, black Westin oval tube steps, High Idle mod, Silverstars (highs, lows, and fogs), Probox w/10" MB Quart's, Phoenix Gold 300.2 amp, Whelen TIR3's (amber) on the rear, some Whelen on the front, too, Hella reverse lights.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Ext-Cab SWB Z71, 265 Cooper ST's, Craftsman toolbox in the bed, Diamondplate (steel) tailgate protector, Tinted windows.

1995 Chevrolet K1500 Ext-Cab SWB Z71-Warn HS9500i/Warn Transformer, 265 Revos, RKI headache rack, steel rails, crossbed, Geneva drawer box.

1984 Chevrolet K10 LWB 4wd 6.2/4spd manual
Old 11-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
emerick115

yes it does. I cant wait to get mine.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

forgive my ignorance, but what is this high idle used for or what does it fix? I am new to diesels and am learning more and more.

thanks

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
emerick115

To aid in quicker warm up time. If you havent noticed, it will take a diesel about 3 times as long as a gasser to reach operating temp when its cool out.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

ok.. so most of you that are up north in the cold, this helps you guys out a lot then. cool

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
05DMAX

What would putting the green wire onto the brake switch of a ZF-6 truck do? Does that wire on a ZF-6 only have power when the parking brake is depressed and no pedals are depressed? Also, if I chose to just wire it to a 12V source does that mean that i could engage the high idle anytime (like without parking brake on)?

BTW, Great write up, ive been waiting for someone to figure out how to do this with an LLY
Old 11-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Max Power
Diesel Legend

Actually since the LLY has an automatic high idle this will help people in the 30-50 degree weather warm up their truck. The automatic high idle won't kick in at those temperatures and that is where this comes in handy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in