Fuel Filter replacment pics/instructions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews Detailed articles containing procedures, steps, & images to aid the do-it-yourselfer plus product reviews.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
dmaxalliTech
Diesel Ninja

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to dmaxalliTech

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Duramax Fuel Filter Change

I have promised this for a while, thanks for your patience..

Gather up some tools, a filter wrench, I use the style shown, its handle will pivot also. A pair of pliers, a good screwdriver and of course, a filter.

As you can see, I didnt remove anything, the battery is still in place, the picture is over the fender, not through the wheel well. Also the turbo intercooler pipe is in place.

I do move the A/C line slightly, grasp it as shown and push it towards the firewall about 1/2-3/4" not too far, you dont want to kink it at the bend.

Disconnect the two electrical connections, they are attatched to the valve cover with a flexible metal support, the top connector is the WIF sensor and the bottom one is the fuel heater.

Here is the filter wrench ready to do some work, notice the way its positioned. You will move the wrench to the left in this view to loosen the filter, The pivoting handle allows you to clear obstructions, in this case, the battery.

Once you break it loose with the wrench, spin it out, I use my right hand to do this. I found that a step stool will help get the angle right to make it easier. Remember, spin it clockwise to remove as shown.

The filter will come out here. Thats the reason for "adjusting" the a/c line. Notice that my filter is full of fuel right to the top. This is due to the lift pump I am running. A stock fuel system will leave the fuel level in the filter about 1.5" below the top. This is why I didnt mention draining the filter first

Here is the old filter on the left and the new one on the right. Notice the two new o-rings that come with all replacement elements

Use your filter wrench to hold the filter and a pair of pliers to remove the WIF sensor, once you unseat the oring it will unscrew easily.

Here is the WIF sensor removed and the old o-ring. Discard the o-ring a its not needed again. The filter will come with a replacement.

The WIF sensor with the new o-ring ready to go into the new filter.

Here is the new filter ready to be installed. I dont use any grease or lubricant on the large o-ring as I find it causes it to move around alot on the filter, press it into the groove dry and it will stay better. I use just a dab of vasoline on the internal seal to help assemble it. When installing the filter to the filter head, center it up and press up on the filter to seat the center seal.. this will help it screw on easier.

This is the primer pump on the top of the filter head.

The screwdriver is on the bleeder screw. Notice mine is the S/S version that is available aftermarket, the oem is black and made of plastic with a hex on the outside that your 13mm socket will fit nicely. Notice the size of the screwdriver, a common mistake is to use one that is too small and damage the bleeder screw.

To bleed, loosen the bleeder screw some and then prime using the primer pump. Just push it in and let it release then push again, continue until you get fuel from the bleeder screw. Once you get fuel from the bleeder, tighten the screw and pump about 15 more times or until the primer becomes noticably harder to push.. Reconnect your electrical connections that you unhooked earlier. Clean up any spilled fuel from the head or frame rail. Start the truck and it should start and stay running. If it dies after a few seconds, you may have air still. Repeat the bleeding process. Check for leaks and your done!

I like to cut my filters open and I use a exhaust cutter to do it. This particular one is from MAC tools but anything comparable will do.

Here is the cutter ready to go to work

Here is the element from my truck, about 6k miles on this one.

Just for comparrison, this filter was 20k old and never used an additive. Its well used up. Below is a pic of the same filter inside the can, notice the rust build up.

Well, thats the way I change these filters. I think I had a total of 15 minutes invested in the whole job and was only slowed down because of trying to get good pics. I hope that this will help all of you tackle this routine maintenance with confidence.

Eric

Last edited by dmaxalliTech; 12-05-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2003, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr X
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thanks a lot Eric.

Old 10-25-2003, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fish2Max
High Compression

An excellent piece of instructional work. Your first chapter for us Duramx Tips for Dummies.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2003, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
HisDMAX
Self Ignition

Thanks Eric! I have been planning to change my filter on my 03. Only 7000 mi but after recent reading better early than later! I wasn't sure which way was best to get to the filter, now I know. Good pictures make any job alot easier.

Mike
Old 10-25-2003, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
OC_DMAX
Diesel Nut

The trick with the A/C line, is it left permanently pushed toward the firewall or does it come back to it's original position?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Burner
Diesel Pro

Send a message via AIM to Burner Send a message via Yahoo to Burner

Good Job

Burner------->
Old 10-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
dmaxalliTech
Diesel Ninja

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to dmaxalliTech

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_DMAX
The trick with the A/C line, is it left permanently pushed toward the firewall or does it come back to it's original position?
I leave it there. That way you only have to move it once, I doubt anyone will even notice it being moved so I wouldnt worry bout that.

Eric
Old 10-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
RanaExcavating1
Self Ignition

Eric

Which lift pump did you install. And are you using a pressure regulator?

Rana
Old 10-25-2003, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
smartfix
Diesel Fanatic

hello Eric

YOU beet me to the Change out.. We do the same.. But we move the blue trubo line to the right and the rest is easy..
Just get a new Cam tonight 6.2 SLR Dig Cannon.. Have to find other pic's to take <smile>

From steve
Old 10-25-2003, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ray403Dmax

Eric,

Thanks for both the lesson and photos. How do you attribute not having any diesel fuel spillage? Is there one step that ensures it as I recall most of us have some spillage.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in