Diesel Place banner

Windshield washer pump

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  JCDiesel 
#1 ·
Of course it would fail. Of course now during the first winter in a long time when it's wet and moist and dirty all of the time.

My washer pump apparently died. I've checked all the fuses and they seem fine. I will go through them with a meter once the rain stops (maybe April ;) ). I search the net and seem to only come up with write ups where you change the entire tank also.
I got the picture that the pump is an external one; correct? Anyone sitting on a good link to get it done easily?
Otherwise I just take it one step at a time and see where I end up.

Thanks,
Magnus

#2 ·
Did you wiggle the plug on your wiper motor? The board inside may have solder breaks.

#3 ·
There is a connector between the drivers side battery and the fender that has a red and black wire and maybe a dark green. Separate that connector and feed 12v. to the red wire on the forward connector, it goes to the washer pump.
If the pump runs then you probably need to replace the board in the wiper motor.
If the pump does not run then it is probably bad. The ground is the same as the headlights so..

Reactions: tmaika
#7 ·
I decided to pull the board again to double check. There's a relay also there that I keep staring at. I've pinged through everything and ohm's seem to be in range. Anyone with more info on the relay?

Br.magnus

#8 ·
Had a look at eBay and the price for the board is ridiculously cheap compared to local prices. Just to make sure, anyone have a part number for the board? Couldn't find anything in the parts list.

#10 · (Edited)
The link won't open. Thanks for verifying. I ordered two for 34€ and that's including shipment. I'm all for local entrepreneurship, but some reality check is needed on the pricing. The local dealer wanted 68€ for one piece. This will be delivered to my door ;).
I've driven without the washer pump for something close to a month, a few weeks should be a problem.

#12 · (Edited)
Did you verify the switch on the column? Turn combo switch. Isnt there a switch there? I tought you had a 94 so I dont have any clue about the column I just realized.

#13 ·
Mine is a -97. Didn't look into troubleshooting the switch. I guess I want to think it's the board as it's the cheaper of the two ;)...
Any good tip on an easy way of testing the switch?

I know it's not the wire to the pump or the pump itself. The pump never acted strangely, it just suddenly didn't work anymore. In other words might as well be the switch... I'll find out sooner or later (fingers crossed).

#14 · (Edited)
Well you would have to figure out which wire is for the spray. The harness plugs in somewhere down the column. Its a flat wide plug. You would have to take a test light to that wire. If you dont know which wire to prod at I would test every wire on that plug while someone pushes that wash switch. You may have to run through twice because its maybe possible the signal could be ground. Im not sure. What a bunch of stuff. Hopefully its the board? ya I think it is. How bout now? Ya nothing yet....

#15 ·
I'll have to take a look. Fortunately it's already dark and late, so I won't get excited and go check now.
It's probably to much to hope for that the colour would be identical to the colour going from the board to the pump. Would be too easy then to decipher...

#16 ·
I think I'll take my chance and wait for the board to arrive. Thought about the issue during morning coffee. I measured the voltage going to the pump when activating the switch and there is a change in voltage, just not high enough. That leads me to believe that a signal is successfully sent to the circuit board, but due to a fault in the board there just isn't enough current going to the pump.
If the switch was dead then I guess I shouldn't see any change in voltage from the board to the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.