The White Whale - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Sponsors > Vendor Deals
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The White Whale

Have a build thread on another forum, but figured I would throw stuff up here for your enjoyment as well.

Never did a build thread for my old truck, but figured I would do one for the new truck, not for you, but for me, so I know what I've done to it. After dumping money into my LB7 I know what I want to do to this truck, in what order....

First off, a tribute to my old LB7, she was a amazing truck, I beat the piss out of her and she just kept going, super strong, a pure and simple workhorse.

02' Silverado 2500HD CCLB 4x4 had EFI Live built trans tunes controlled by a Edge Insight CTS (tuned by Kory - PPEI), Magnaflow 4"-5" Turbo Back, Magnaflow DP, S&B CAI, PPE Boost Valve, Airdog II 165gph, BDS 4.5" Lift, Deaver 2" Mini Pack, Kryptonite UCA's, Fox 2.0 Shocks, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck, Tekonsha P3, Dmax Store 1 Piece Driveshaft, PPE Stage 5 Trans, Russell SS Brake Lines. Tragically, a combo of crazy rain, tires needing replacement, and me being on the race tunbe (forgot to turn it down when it started raining) ended in it being hurdled over the center divide and landing on its side. Insurance totaled her out. Please a moment of silence, RIP 12-15-2016...

That being said, cant be without a truck, need something to put hay in and haul the livestock around with. So the hunt began for a CCLB SRW, I was looking for a LBZ or LMM as I wanted something without injector or headgasket issues, and something with a Allison 6 speed. Ended up finding a white, with black interior LBZ, fully loaded LMM in Seattle, WA, after some haggling with the dealer, got down to 25k (they were asking 28k). Hopped on a plane, and 14 hours later she is home....

Need to get get weighed, VIN verified, smogged, then go sit at DMV so I can pay my taxes and registration and get my plates....

So, a list of whats going to get done over the next month or 2
-Lift pump (pulled my ADII 165 off my LB7)
-Mount my toolchest in the bed
-Pull the flares off and hopefully keep them off depending on how the paint looks, if not paint them white
-Remove some of the badging and moulding
-Paint rear emblem on tailgate
-elevation (trying to decide if I want to throw my Kryptonite UCA's on it and level it, or through 2" blocks on the rear and a Cognito or BDS 4" lift on the front) that would give me perfectly level stance and flat CV's (not to mention I have my brand new Fox 2.0's that I pulled off my old truck with the same setup)
-wheels (hate the wheels on it), and I had bought brand new SOTA SSD's for my LB7, totaled it the day before I mounted them, so they are sitting in my shop and would look great on this truck
-Nictane adapter so I can run CAT filters
-Buy a VIN license, get some mild stock trans tunes, block EGR, remove cat and DPF (will need to put it in every other year for smog)
-Replace headlights with LED's
-Some Weathertech floormats
-Replace the nerf bars with N-Fabs (i bought a set for my LB7 and they arrived the day I totaled it, so will exchange for ones for this truck)
-Fluids, treat her to Amsoil full synthetic (front diff, read diff, transfer case) flush coolant, dump and fill + filter on the trans, just got her oil changed so im ok there...
-3 pod pillar gauge mount (EGT, boost and oil temp)
-backup camera (makes hitching up the bumper pulls so much easier)

And other stuff thats planned-
-Front bumper, I did a Road Rhino WIY on the last truck, debatting between that or a Trail Ready, love the look of the trail ready, but they are $$$$$
-Built trans
-air bags
-onboard compressor
-weld up a headache rack
-most likely replace the rear bumper with something heavy duty

And build/VIN Info...

How she sits currently...

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
DURAMAX ONLY STORE 1-877-4MY-DMAX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

PLACE HOLDER

This will be a living index.

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

Pulled a bunch of stuff off my old truck, list includes:
Truck tool chest
new Fox 2.0 shocks
Dmax Store 1 piece alum driveshaft
Air Dog II 165 lift pump
B&W Turnover ball GN hitch
Edge Insight Monitor

Plugged in my Edge Insight, and checked the balance rates...

All I have to say is wow. I dont think my LB7 balance rates looked that good even when I put brand new injectors in.

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

Little back story on the truck, noticed that the pics the dealer had sent me (2 states away) didn't have flares, but when I picked it up it had fender flares. It was crazy storming, and getting worse and I had to be home by Xmas if I wanted to stay married). So foolishly got in the truck without giving a super thorough inspection and drove home. I had also negotiated a spray in bed liner. When I got home I pulled the flares off to discover the paint on the bed under the flares was a mess and peeling, also looked liek one of the bed sides had been replaced, and a poor job. And the "spray in bed liner" appeared to just be black paint, and they must not have prepped because it was already peeling. Needless to say the dealer got beyond a earfull and I got a check for $1000 from them. Priced repainting the bed, and get it line-x, but would have to remove the crap spray in. Ended up finding a used bed, same color as my truck about 500 miles away at a wrecking yard. Drove down, had them swap beds while I waited, I drilled a hole in the ned for the hitch, and I was on my way home. 2 days after getting back for it Line-X...

Over the rails with their standard spray in (not the Ultra/Premium).

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

Decided to go with the Husky floor mats over the Weathertechs. Had the Weathertechs in my last truck, and wasn't impressed with the fit, so decided to try something else. Must say, the fit on the Husky's is amazing, would def buy them again, have a tons of spikes on the bottom so they don't move at all.

Ran down to the local Riebes (Napa) on my lunch break today to get thermostats (more on that later) and picked up a air filter while I was there...

So onto coolant/thermostats. Whenever I get a vehicle I try and go through it and flush everything, so I have a baseline on it, and have quality fluids in it. That being said, I noticed on my 800 mile drive home the temp gauge was moving around a lot. From the readings on the guage, it was bouncing between 180 and 205. Well since I picked up the Insight yesterday, I plugged it in to see what the temps were (assuming the temp gauge was as inaccurate as the one on the LB7). So on the way to work this morning truck hit about 170 when I hopped on the highway, but then dropped down to 155-165 and never really warmed up. Ambient air temp was around 25-30 degrees. After seeing the temp drop, figured i had bad therms and since I wanted to flush the coolant might as well replace them.

Didnt take any pics when I had it apart, but here the pic on re-assembly...

So, after looking around for a few minutes for the drain, I hopped online and read a few things that the LMM doesnt have one. Doh! Pulled the clip on the lower rad hose and drained the coolant the messy way. Once it was buttoned back up, warmed her up, burped it, and went for a test drive. Warmed right up and stayed at temp! Did notice that when the truck is at operating temp (180-185 according to the Edge Insight) the temp gauge on the dash was reading just under 210, so good to know where the needle should be at least... Be curious to see if I get a little better MPG with the motor running at temp instead of 160ish...

And right before I called it a night in the shop, had a Kuiu sticker laying on my toolbox, and the back window was looking a little naked, so...

Need to find some paint to match my pillar so I can get this stuff installed... Prolly will wait till next year as I'm having my annual big NYE bash and have a ton of tractor work and wood to get cut...

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Old 02-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

One day when it had been snowing and I was done being couped up inside decided to throw on Carhartts and to fire up the propane heater in the shop and start removing some moulding.

Would have been easier if it was summer...

Next off were the fender flares and front bug guard. Truck is finally starting to look acceptable. Lift and wheels and this thing will be down right sexy.

Debadged the tailgate...

I think I am done, probably going to leave the 3500HD emblem on the door, though debatting painting that emblem black....

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

Had wheels for my old truck I was going to pu on right before I wrecked it. Decided to get tires put on, so when I had the lfit installed tires and wheels could go on at the same time. Now I am all ready for the lift!

My wife, who is normally impartial to everything I do to the truck went down with me, and even said my truck was going to look sexy with the new wheels..

SOTA SSD w/ring 17x8.5 +6 offset (5.0" backspacing)
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/75r17 (33.89" overall diameter)

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

As much as I love a good looking truck, I live in the country and have ranch chores, and well need all my crap. Felt naked driving around without tools and other necessities, so was time to throw the chest back in.

Got it bolted down nice and tight, same way my other box was. When I wrecked my other truck, tow truck driver said thanks for bolting in the box good, said most the time a truck is rolled the boxes pop out and open up, and he has to clean tools and crap off the highway. So its in, tools, chains, binders, bolt cutters, jacks, jumper cables, d-rings, snatchblocks, come-a-long, tarps and all my other crap is in there. Semi-organized so I can find stuff without having to dig too much.

As a side note, if you are going to keep syringes and ammo in your truck and other stuff for doctoring animals on the ranch, keep them in a zipped bag or something, the highway patrol got a little edgey when he found a bunch of ammo all over the highway and syringes, explained they were for livestock and the ammo was for my 223 and 40cal that i have a CCW for... Finally settled down after he saw some of my ropin ropes and other stuff.. LOL

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM

Last edited by novaman64; 02-06-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

After seeing my MPG get beyond hosed everytime the truck re-gen and also not get clsoe the the mileage my old LB7 was getting, decided to make the truck lighter and remove some of the smog equipment.

Put on the 5" magnaflow and 5050XL Aeroturbine muffler today; then flashed in my tunes from Kory. Havent installed the DSP5 yet, so right now on the optimized stock tune (+30hp).

Took a short video (sorry crappy quality and I was moving all over the place), very civil, has a slight resonation under load around 1700-2000 rpm. Going to drive it for a bit and see if I can deal with it, if it starts to get annoying I might try and throw a FTE resonator in super close to the down pipe.

Loading in the tunes....

And front pipe pics, clearance was good (well as good as that big of a pipe can be). Have about a 1/2" from the tranny cooler lines, and cleared the cab and tranny and torsion bar mounts without issue, tight in a few spots but not hitting or vibrating anything.

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
novaman64
Glow Plug

Had put a date on the books to get the lift done. And the day finally came last Wed.

Some shots of the suspension...

All the parts ready to be installed.

And the stock rusty parts. (BTW, I will never buy a truck from somewhere that salts ever again).

And couple shots of the new spindles on, the Fox 2.0 shocks off my old LB7 installed (notice the BDS branding on them, LOL) and my Kryptonite UCA's that I took off my old truck, had new ball joints put in them as well since they were right there.

Got these pics TXT to me while I was at work.

Currently sitting around 1/2" high in the front (I told them I wanted the front angles flat, then we would figure out the rear). Asked if I wanted to do a 1" block in the rear and lift the front little bit more, told them to leave it. I figure once I get the heavy front bumper with winch it should bring the front end down to level....

And some shots I snapped after I picked it up. Note my sexy new wheels/tires.

This thing drives and rides great. Not sure if its the shocks or more sidewall on the tires. Way smoother ride, there was a slight vibration before, thats gone as well (not sure if its the 1 piece alum driveshaft of the tire balancing). Truck looks fantastic, super stoked, cant wait to drive it to work tomorrow and see how these tires do in the rain (it start pouring about an hour ago).

Before and after...

Some more pics I took of it when I was pulling into the house...

Had to stop by work on my way home from picking it up... Errr...

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in