2020 L5P Throbbing Sound While Idling - Page 12 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Seventh Generation: 2020+ (L5P)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Seventh Generation: 2020+ (L5P) Discuss the seventh generation of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #111 (permalink)
Climber4
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Count me as another new owner of a thumping 2020 Duramax, with about 650 miles total. Shortly after noticing the thumping at idle, I Googled it and discovered this forum. I listened to recordings posted here and they sound identical to mine. I was was relieved to learn that GM claims there’s no short or long term effects on engine, disappointed there’s no fix yet to eliminate the thumping. Tonight after warming up the engine I did the belt removal check and sure enough, the thumping sound disappeared. Reinstalled the belt and the sound returned. Belt looks good and has no discernible seams, lumps or other defects. Pulleys look good too, and the grooves are clean. Tensioner and fan clutch don’t feel abnormal. The tensioner has a smaller pulley so I would think the frequency of the noise would be higher than it is if it was the culprit, and the thump does seem to occur once per engine revolution. So I don’t think it’s coming from the tensioner pulley.

I did notice there is wiring going to the fan clutch, probably to lock it up when extra cooling is needed. What if whatever controls that is sending a pulse to it every revolution? I’m curious whether pulling that plug would eliminate the noise. Has anyone already tried this? Post up if you do try it please. If no one else tries this by tomorrow night then I’ll give it a try.

I’m just brainstorming here and am pretty baffled so far. But I’m determined to figure it out.

So who will solve this puzzle first...GM or us? Please keep us updated if you discover anything new, and thanks for posting this info.

Even with this annoying thump I still love my new truck! It’s a real pleasure to drive and to tow with.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 06:59 AM   #112 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber4 View Post
Tonight after warming up the engine I did the belt removal check and sure enough, the thumping sound disappeared. Reinstalled the belt and the sound returned.
Document ID 2128069
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/at...elt-rumble.pdf

Andersen Ultimate II

Last edited by Rvn4me; 03-26-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #113 (permalink)
Gnewman
Diesel Rookie

Quote:
So who will solve this puzzle first...GM or us? Please keep us updated if you discover anything new, and thanks for posting this info.

Even with this annoying thump I still love my new truck! Itís a real pleasure to drive and to tow with.
Sorry to hear you have the same problem as many of us that purchased a 2020 GM, Duramax equipped truck. My first concern is that I brought this issue to GMís attention in November 2019, obviously they down played the issue with bulletins as presented numerous times in this thread but continued to sell the trucks with the defect to new customers. I love that you are looking for a solution to solve the problem, but wouldnít you think itís a fair expectation considering the price we all paid for these new trucks that GM would want to resolve this?

Hope all of you and your families are safe and healthy!
2007 Sierra 2500HD Duramax (Sold)

Last edited by OkDually; 03-26-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: repaired quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #114 (permalink)
Climber4
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnewman View Post
Quote:

Even with this annoying thump I still love my new truck! It’s a real pleasure to drive and to tow with.
Sorry to hear you have the same problem as many of us that purchased a 2020 GM, Duramax equipped truck. My first concern is that I brought this issue to GM’s attention in November 2019, obviously they down played the issue with bulletins as presented numerous times in this thread but continued to sell the trucks with the defect to new customers. I love that you are looking for a solution to solve the problem, but wouldn’t you think it’s a fair expectation considering the price we all paid for these new trucks that GM would want to resolve this?

Hope all of you and your families are safe and healthy!
Yep! That’s a fair expectation for sure. I hope they’re serious about trying to figure it out.
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #115 (permalink)
budvoss
Heat Sink

This is unreal,I traded in a 19 high country because of injectior problems and now i hear the thumping you all are experiencing at 200 miles lol... Oh well
Old Today, 11:05 PM   #116 (permalink)
zwhite97
Gear Grinder

I bought my wife's 2017 Tahoe with 24K miles on it and it has made this sound since the day I brought it home. I've always been curious about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in