Detroit Auto Show: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 debuts with diesel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Upcoming GM Diesels
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Upcoming GM Diesels Discuss new GM diesel engines in development as well as the currently mothballed 4.5L Duramax. NOTE: the 2.8L Duramax now has its own forum.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Detroit Auto Show: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 debuts with diesel

Chevrolet is mixing things up with the 2019 Silverado.

The all-new full-size pickup is taking on the aluminum-bodied F-150 with an assortment of metals to keep its weight down and its capabilities where Chevrolet thinks they need to be.

The all-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado is 450 pounds lighter due to the extensive use of mixed materials. The underlying safety cage features significant use of advanced high strength steels, each tailored for the specific application.
A mix of materials are used to optimize weight and capability. (Chevrolet)

It does have an aluminum hood, doors and tailgate, but the body and bed floor are made from several different grades of steel. This is important marketing point given the literal beating Chevrolet has given the F-150’s aluminum bed in its advertising, by dropping a load of rocks and a toolbox into one to depict how it can potentially be punctured more easily than steel.

At the preview of the Silverado on Saturday, GM’s product development chief Mark Reuss took yet another shot at the competition, saying “I don’t think you can get much work done with an aluminum hammer.” GM's faith in steel hasn’t put much of a dent in F-150 sales, which are a couple of hundred thousand units higher than the Silverado's, but it's clearly sticking with it.

The all-new 2019 Silverado Custom Trailboss (new trim for 2019) adds off-road equipment to the Custom, including a 2-inch suspension lift and the Z71 Off-Road Package with a locking rear differential, skid plates, Rancho shocks, 18-inch wheels and Goodyear Duratrac off-road tires.
The Silverado features the first opening and closing power tailgate. (Chevrolet)

All told, the new Silverado is 450 pounds lighter than the one it replaces when comparing Crew Cab trucks with V8 engines. This despite it being much longer with a roomier cab. The bed floor is also seven-inches wider than the old one, which Reuss said delivers best in class cargo volume, and it can be accessed by an optional power tailgate with remote opening and closing functions.

The all-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado was introduced at an event celebrating the first 100 years of Chevy Trucks on Saturday, December 16 in Dallas, Texas. The 2019 Silverado 1500 is all new from the ground up and leverages Chevrolet’s experience building more than 85 million dependable, long-lasting pickups.
The LT Trail Boss has a 2-inch suspension lift and plenty of off-road gear. (Chevrolet)

Full powertrain details have not been announced, but the Silverado will be available with a 3.0-liter diesel engine and 10-speed automatic transmission combo that Reuss expects to outperform the upcoming F-150 diesel. The Ford has 250 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque and is expected to get at least 30 mpg on the highway.

Five other engine/transmission combinations will be offered, including new 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s that with cylinder deactivation systems that can shut the fuel flow to anywhere from one to seven of the cylinders as needed, in order to optimize power or efficiency.

The all-new 2019 Silverado High Country interior features more passenger room, more storage space and more functionality — all the things that customers were clear they want. Every surface has been designed for function and ergonomics, from the rotary knob textures to the infotainment screen angle.
Cabin materials and functionality have been improved. (Chevrolet)

Along with the added room, the Silverado’s cabin has 10-liter storage compartments hidden in the rear seat backs and a storage bin on the floor underneath them. Up front, you can get the Silverado with a wireless charging pad and both USB-A and USB-C ports for people who aren’t ready to cut the cord.

New to the now eight trim-level strong lineup are the sporty RST and LT Trailboss, which boosts the Silverado’s Z71 off-road package with a two-inch lift, 33-inch tires, skid plates and a blacked out grille and bumpers.

More details will be shared as the Silverado’s on sale date in the fall approaches.

2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

now ,we wait to see the 3/4-1 tons in 6 months

Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Moved to "Upcoming GM Diesels".......
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
Moved to "Upcoming GM Diesels".......
Thanks, I forgot all about this section
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
64bawagon
Glow Plug

I was there last night, lots of changes on this truck, the back seat of the crew cab is noticeably bigger. The only double cab they had was locked. There was a noticeable interest in the crowd when they announced the I6 diesel.
They stated that the 5.3 and 6.2 were going to be carried over but with a new MDS system that would drop from 1-7 cylinders, I am betting those are just holdovers until the new engines are in full production. They did say the 1/2 ton would have 7 choices in 2019 but they didnt say they would all be available at the same time.

I did sit in the back and front of the red trailboss that came out in Texas a few weeks ago. I have to say that if this is the drivers seat they are building these with it erases every seat improvement made in the last 15 years, it was very similar to the seat in my equinox (which is the only thing I dont like about that car)

Last edited by 64bawagon; 01-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

Interesting that both Chevy and Ford are claiming mpg numbers with their 3.0 6-cyl diesels in full sized trucks that are the same as those listed for the smaller Colorado with a 2.8 4 cyl. I'm sure that the 10-speed transmission helps but that much?

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
crip327
Low Boost

Was a good move to go with an Inline 6 so i think they can get the TQ numbers for the lead in the bunch but will it match the Cummins in the Nissan ???
Old 01-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
torqueofthetown
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybeecon View Post
Interesting that both Chevy and Ford are claiming mpg numbers with their 3.0 6-cyl diesels in full sized trucks that are the same as those listed for the smaller Colorado with a 2.8 4 cyl. I'm sure that the 10-speed transmission helps but that much?

I'm guessing Ford and GM will being trying desperately to hit 30mpg to one up the Ram which I believe is at 29mpg for the 2wd truck.

Also from a marketing standpoint, hitting 30mpg sounds so much more impressive than just the 1mpg difference from 29mpg.

An armed man is a citizen, an disarmed man is a subject. A. West

There are two types of people in this world. People that think government is looking out for their best interest, and people who think. N. Fraser

Men will never ever win arguments against women because men are bound by logic and reason. C. Rock
Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
64bawagon
Glow Plug

There was no mention of mileage numbers at the reveal, they said those figures would be released at a later date. They have had these prototype trucks at the Milford proving grounds for over a year. With the new after treatment systems on the diesel its almost impossible to get near one running and smell if its a diesel.

Last edited by 64bawagon; 01-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

2019 Silverado
maybe its just me..

I thought the 2017-2018 trucks were darn near perfect on the outside anyway!

Really liked the look - still can't afford one..but like the looks!

I think they took a step backwards on the styling on this one.

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club

Last edited by Rambos_Ride; 01-15-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in