Information help - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P)
FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P) Discuss the sixth generation (2017+) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2019, 09:49 PM  
WOJO 1
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Information help

It has been a few years since I have been on here. Missed reading all of the valuable information. I have a 19 3500 Denali. I am wondering if I may have an issue with it. I hear the claims that these trucks tow like beasts. I donít feel that. It tows better than my 02 but not drastically. I sure was hoping for better. Maybe I am expecting to much. It also has that stuttering issue I see others have.
Sure wish I had done more research first. Like the truck other than I think it should tow better. Towing around 10000 or so. Just ranting.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 10:52 PM  
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

How many miles on the truck? My 17 tows like a beast! My 02 was laying down 550 hp at the tires and the 17 will easily out tow the 02, more low end grunt and smooth power. I do have a Banks Derringer for an added kick in the pants, but it helps mostly driving empty. When loaded, the safety features kick in to keep you from getting to much egt's. What really impresses me with the L5P is the ability to hold a gear while towing a load. I tow 15-20k quite often and the truck does well, I would like the bigger fan that the 2020 has though for towing up steep grades.

2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 11:38 PM  
WOJO 1
Glow Plug

Mileage is coming up on 8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 11:58 PM  
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

Even though the truck is 17 years newer, it is only one generation ahead as far as the chassis is concerned, but even still, the ‘11+ Chassis is much better than the first generation Duramax trucks. Bigger brakes, bigger steering components, wider springs, etc make for a much better towing experience. I feel the new chassis handles trailers and loads much better, especially in the braking department. 10,000 pounds isn’t that much weight, what is the trailer type or load that you’re towing? Sometimes a load catches a ton of wind and it can make for a hard tow even if it doesn’t weigh that much. But regardless, the truck should feel very stable with 10,000 pounds behind it. What pressure do you have in the truck tires? How about the trailer tires?
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Old 09-09-2019, 05:07 AM  
Bill81vette
Diesel Rookie

I have a 2019 High Country,towed about a month after I bought it.
around 10000 lbs.across NYS Thruway from Albany to 81 and up to 1000 islands.
didn't even know it was there.I had cruise on 65 MPH both ways.

2019 Silverado High Country
CCSRWD.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:49 AM  
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Seat of the pants feelings can be misleading. Scale the truck and trailer, pull a known grade several times, once at part throttle to hold speed and then again at WOT. There should be a notable difference. The other thing to consider is emissions. If the DPF filter is close to being full of soot or in regen it will have an effect on performance, but it shouldn't last too long. Is the truck used as a daily driver on short trips? Short trips don't always allow regens to complete fully. I really like the Banks I dash in the ability to watch things like soot level and when the truck is in regen. GM wants it to be seemless, but then how do we know if it is working correctly.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:04 AM  
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

I honestly don’t think performance changes at all as the DPF “loads up”. If anything I almost feel like the truck is quicker when regening.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

Old 09-09-2019, 03:22 PM  
WOJO 1
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanksLB7Duramax View Post
Even though the truck is 17 years newer, it is only one generation ahead as far as the chassis is concerned, but even still, the Ď11+ Chassis is much better than the first generation Duramax trucks. Bigger brakes, bigger steering components, wider springs, etc make for a much better towing experience. I feel the new chassis handles trailers and loads much better, especially in the braking department. 10,000 pounds isnít that much weight, what is the trailer type or load that youíre towing? Sometimes a load catches a ton of wind and it can make for a hard tow even if it doesnít weigh that much. But regardless, the truck should feel very stable with 10,000 pounds behind it. What pressure do you have in the truck tires? How about the trailer tires?
The trailer is a 5th wheel. Nothing special. Truck tires are at 80 in the rear. Trailer tires are at 65.
I was told (this was a recommendation by a RAM tech for RAM trucks) to use the manual mode for the tranny and avoid 6th gear. That way the tranny does not search for gears. Mine does not search for gears with my trailer. But I did try it and it seemed to make it a little better. Basically making it a 5 speed. I guess it is what it is. Crap I don't know.
BTW. Did GM test these mirrors while designing them. The passenger side could go out a bit further.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:16 PM  
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

Do not use manual mode when towing. Put it in Tow/Haul mode and let the truck do it’s thing. No offense, but the truck is smarter than you and knows what it needs to do. Plus, putting it in manual mode turns automatic grade braking off. You’re ruck won’t do any “gear hunting”, if it needs to downshift it will, but generally when running down the freeway over 70 it will stay in 6th gear and pull most moderate grades.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM  
WOJO 1
Glow Plug

I noticed that on the Grade Braking. I will take your advise on not using Manual Mode for towing. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in