Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/786-duramax-sixth-generation-2017-l5p/)
-   -   Dual Alternators (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/786-duramax-sixth-generation-2017-l5p/975550-dual-alternators.html)

Nick1234 04-28-2019 02:47 PM

Dual Alternators

I am very new to the diesel world. Just purchased a 2019 3500 (High Country) SRW. It came with dual alternators. I pull a Reflection 303. What is the advantage ( if any) to having dual alternators?

averey0 04-28-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick1234 (Post 9816578)
I am very new to the diesel world. Just purchased a 2019 3500 (High Country) SRW. It came with dual alternators. I pull a Reflection 303. What is the advantage ( if any) to having dual alternators?

Since you have dual batteries it recharges them faster plus you can run more electronics at any given time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 Speed Dave 04-28-2019 04:36 PM

I ordered my 2018 with dual alternators. I snow plow and have a 9.5' Fisher plow which is why I went with two alternators. These larger plows are quite demanding on the electrical system. I don't see many ordered with two.

averey0 04-28-2019 05:20 PM

The funny thing is that almost all mid trim and up F250ís are ordered with them. I think the reason is that most F250ís are seen as a more work oriented truck. I can tell you from personal experience they are more setup for work type use but they are not as comfortable to drive on a day to day basis. This is my first GMC and love it but it does have short comings if your looking for a dedicated work truck. I decided on comfort this go around and glad I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.Camilleri 04-28-2019 11:11 PM

Dual alternators have the ability to handle a much higher electrical load like snow plows, winches, etc. If you were to run a larger size wire to your trailer, it would help charge your batteries faster or if you find your batteries need a fast charge when dry camping, hook up your truck to the trailer batteries with a heavy duty set of jumper cables and you will be able to charge your trailer batteries quickly.

BanksLB7Duramax 04-29-2019 12:21 AM

Alternators are not as efficient at lower engine speeds. Having two allows you two recover power faster when running high-amp draw accessories like a plow, spreaders, winches, compressors, etc., basically things that are used at low engine speeds or even at idle. Since it is highly unlikely you are charging your RV batteries with your truck, having two alternators has no advantage for you.

redwngr 04-29-2019 01:55 AM

The alternator capacities being installed in these trucks has increased greatly over the years.

FWIW, the currently offered combinations are:
Standard - 150A
Optional - 220A (included with snowplow prep on gas or diesel)
Optional duals - one of each (and only available on dmax)

Gerard Andrea 05-01-2019 11:37 PM

I agree, but I don’t know what the longevity of the higher amp alternator would be, it must be harder on the bearings.

redwngr 05-01-2019 11:58 PM

Bearings are available in lots of sizes, load ratings and speed ratings.

I'd expect the alternator designer and belt drive designer(s) to have done their homework.
In the '80's when I was designing belt drives and picking bearings for equipment the OEM also tested the design to be sure I didn't miss something....

Gerard Andrea 05-02-2019 09:05 AM

So your saying that Nick has 370 amps of charging capacity available to him, wow. I’m not even close with my lowly 145 amp. Almost sounds like you could blow something up, like in a racing engine for example.