Dual Alternators - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P) Discuss the sixth generation (2017+) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Andrea View Post
So your saying that Nick has 370 amps of charging capacity available to him, wow. Iím not even close with my lowly 145 amp. Almost sounds like you could blow something up, like in a racing engine for example.
Yes, and no. Amp ratings for alternators are peak at ideal temps and speed. At idle or there abouts they put out about half. So a plow rig with duals could produce as much 180 amps. A plow or winch can easily draw more than that, so lifting a plow for example may pull the max the alternators can put out plus a little from the batteries, but having the large capacity will fill the batteries back up in a hurry. No add in an array of lights, stereo and so on and you can see where it goes in a hurry.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gerard Andrea
Diesel Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Gerard Andrea

�� Good info

2006 2500hd lbz 4x4, edge juice/attitude, reds trans cooler hose upgrade, mag hytec diff cover,rare parts tie rods, merchant auto transfer pump upgrade, transmission brace and water pump, filtermag on all external filters, ride-rite air springs,magnaflow 5" turbo-back premium exhaust,bilstein 5100's all round, ranch hand legend bumpers front+rear.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
SierraTBD
Diesel Dan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The Boss DXT V-plow draws 220 amps. This will destroy standard 105 amp alternators even with dual batteries. Ask me how I know..

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC 6.6L LMM 180,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
nutdriver
Low Boost

My truck also has the dual alternator option. I am not planning to run a snow plow but will the dual alternator feature also provides some redundancy if one alternator failed. Is that a real benefit? Seems like that might depend on how the alternator fails?? For example, a bearing failure would not be saved by the second alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in