Question: Lp5 power vs tuned lmm? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Sixth Generation: 2017+ (L5P) Discuss the sixth generation (2017+) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
zr600
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Lp5 power vs tuned lmm?

Ok how are these lp5 trucks for power vs my tunes and deleted lmm? According to the factory ratings they should have as much or more power then my truck with Atp tuning dpf delete and 4Ē exhaust. Would they feel the same pull the same better or worse mileage? Whatís everyoneís experience that has an lp5 and had a tuned and deleted lmm or lml?

Last edited by OkDually; 07-18-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
2016powerstroke
Sparkplug Hunter

Not LMM but I have a 16 f350 longbed deleted and just ran against my buddies 3500 dually and on the stock setting the dmax smoked me, It was like I was standing still. On tow my truck did a little bit better but he still started pulling on my around 60 mph and I never got more than a 1/2 truck ahead of him. On the street tune I pulled from him but not embarrassing to him by any means. Stock my truck dynos around 390 and tow I am around 440 not sure about street or race yet we ran out of time haha... The new dmax is quick tho...

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hrlyguy2
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Had my dually 3500 cc lb 07.5 lmm with deletes,Efi,lift pump 5 inch exhaust.
Now i have 18 cc lb srw stock.
My lmm felt definitely faster on high tunes.
But the 18 is no slouch .being stock
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
hdrolling
Glow Plug

Armed Forces Club Member

NC Dmax's Member

My 09 was deleted, EFI tune mostly on the 120 tune, 5" strait pipe, 3 inch down pipe dual lift pumps, banks boost tube, and more

The 2018 feels okay, but nothing compared to a deleted and tuned truck. And that speed limited really sucks!

I was getting 22-24 with my 09 with Toyo MT's, more like 14 mpg with my 18 with less then 800 miles on it.
2018 Chevy 3500 LTZ, Morimoto 5500k 35w HID,Morimoto D2S 5.0 projectors, Anso tail lights, 20" Mayhem Monstir , LT275/65R20 Toyo Open Country A/T II, Pace Edwards tonneau, BDS 4.5 w/Fox, BDS stabilizer,Cognito PISK Amp steps, Banks Derringer/CAI, DVD headrest, Go Rhino bumper, Warn Winch, Rigid LED's

Member #1081 3500 Dually Club

Build thread https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...lly-build.html
Old 08-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
johnjr
Glow Plug

I have never raced them against each other but my 04 lly with predator set on +65 hp seems much quicker than my 17 cclb. But the ride and refinement of the 17......!
1995 K1500 Suburban 4x4 6.5 turbo
Old 10-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
MRBASS
Diesel Head

I think the main difference is throttle response.
My l5p tows better than my tuned lmm or my
Lbz. Tuning makes all the difference in throttle response for sure.

I pull the same loaded trailers I pulled with my lmm, exact same setups. L5p definitely pulls better but would lose on an empty drag race to a tuned lmm or lbz

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBASS View Post
I think the main difference is throttle response.
My l5p tows better than my tuned lmm or my
Lbz. Tuning makes all the difference in throttle response for sure.

I pull the same loaded trailers I pulled with my lmm, exact same setups. L5p definitely pulls better but would lose on an empty drag race to a tuned lmm or lbz

This is what I have noticed too. I think they set the runners up more for racing and the trucks do perform especially unloaded. But my experience is when towing some good weight they just donít seem to have the same effect. Also the trucks donít seem as relaxed. My L5P is pretty fast but feels like itís not even breaking a sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
timoloco
Diesel Boss

Send a message via Yahoo to timoloco

My tuned LMM seems snappier off the line, but I can pull with more confidence with the L5P. Once the L5P starts pulling its a monster
EFI Live from Underground Diesel, FASS Lift Pump, PPE Tie Rod sleeves, Cognito UCA kit, Fuel Throttle wheels wrapped with 285 70 17 BFG ATs, Banks Ram Air Intake ATS Diff Cover & Deep Tranny Pan, 5" Diamond Eye DPF DOC delete, EGR blocked, N-Fab Stainless W2W Nerf Bars, Dux Billet Grille Insert, EDGE Insight CTS2 w/ EAS turbo timer and camera, B&W Turnover ball gooseneck with Firestone air bags, Truxedo Tunnel Cover, New Mexico Diesel Place Member #18
Old 12-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

I donít like the L5P throttle mapping as it makes the trucks feel more sluggish off the line than tuned trucks. They do this though to help protect the dpf and meet emission requirements. In order to get maximum throttle response you gotta dump in more fuel which adds more smoke. Unfortunately this is a no no now for Diesel engines which just sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
MRBASS
Diesel Head

45,000 miles now and no doubt about it, the L5P pulls way better than any of my previous duramax trucks, tuned or not.
Lots of safety in the programming, defuels at shift points and etc. once you learn how it shifts and etc., and learn how to
Drive it, I don’t really notice much lag anymore. I know when it is going to defuel and ease off accelerator before it does, let it shift and then carry on..
I attend a few car shows and various other events every year, pulling the same trailers, up the same hills and mountains. L5p is a beast uphill, and downhill..!!
Average mileage after 45k is right at 16.5 mpg, combined with towing. I really don’t worry about mileage to much as it’s primary use is a tow vehicle, to tow 10-18,000lbs. Mileage at those weights, will never be good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in