Diesel Place banner

Block Heater Fix

19K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  RDS 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Was notified in January not to use the block heater, that it may cause fire. Found out recently if you take your Chevy, GMC, or Ford to a GM shop for service they are required to cut your block heater cord off.
Service manager told me last week that a fix has been found. Those who still have the cord attached will soon get a recall repair notice. Those who have had their cord cut will receive 2 Recall notices.
Mine is still good and I had every intention to use it again this winter but glad they have a new fix. In this area I will need it shortly.

#7 · (Edited)
He said he would be surprised if I experienced cold weather starting problems on the L5p. But we all know when its cold they don't like it.
I don't think it's the end of the world. I wonder what makes the L5P different than the previous years. I live in MI. And owned a Dmax for 14 years and never used the block heater. I think the coldest its seen is -30° and it starts right up.

#6 ·
Still no word...

#9 ·
#10 ·
The bigger thing would be to switch to synthetic 5w-40 for winter use to make sure the oil flows in cold temps. 15-40 doesn't flow well below 0

#11 ·
Great News, got a text from my buddy who happens to be the service manager for my local Chevrolet Dealer. Fix is in, so get it scheduled. Mine is going in tomorrow for the repair. He said their may be issues getting more parts due to the strike. He got 19 of the parts in for the recall. Its a new heater and plug install. He is doing an oil change at the same time, he estimated 2 or 3 hours for the repair and oil change/rotate.

#12 ·
So i called my local dealer and the numb nut is telling me that GM is only releasing the parts to the cold areas. Its currently 19*F in my town and they can't order the parts until GM allows them. The parts are only being shipped to the dealers where the trucks are being sold... I bought my truck in Marion Indiana and he told me to go talk to them for the parts. I'm in Farmington New Mexico... crazy

#14 ·
So i called my local dealer and the numb nut is telling me that GM is only releasing the parts to the cold areas. Its currently 19*F in my town and they can't order the parts until GM allows them. The parts are only being shipped to the dealers where the trucks are being sold... I bought my truck in Marion Indiana and he told me to go talk to them for the parts. I'm in Farmington New Mexico... crazy
What's crazy is that you think you even need a block heater in New Mexico lol:facepalm:

#13 ·
I think I would check another dealer nearby. My dealership is one of the larger ones in the area, I am sure they get stuff first. Seems like most things go by the size of the dealership. Allocations. If another dealership has it near you, it may be time to switch service departments.

#15 ·
Cold areas first.

Probably starting with the same locations that have the 'winter front' included with a dmax.

If they have a several hundred thousand that need updating -- there is no point in waiting til that have enough parts for all to start shipping them out.

#16 ·
Well I dont know what he does with his truck, say he works up in ND on a rig and this is his driver, I would want one. Or he might take it hunting at a family cabin in the Rockies, might need it. Or it's a recalled item on his $65k truck and he wants it how it is suppose to be.

What I am getting at is we dont know his situation.

#19 ·
It's part of the OEM equipment delivered with the truck...it needs to be fixed or replaced period. If it was A/C related part and they told you only the hottest areas first, would you be happy.:thumbsdow

#23 ·
Does anyone have a part number for the replacement?

#25 ·
They did mine today. Parts in the RO:
Recall number N192264210

9104743 Diesel Block Cord
1279 W

19419326 Cord Kit
12346290 Coolant

I can confirm they drain the coolant. They left pools of coolant all over the everything.

Reactions: sst 23
#24 ·
So I just had the recall done Saturday. Come to find out it's not just the cord like I originally thought, but the actual block heater requiring draining of the coolant system. So it's been fixed, but I just returned home from the third visit for coolant top offs after continual low coolant warnings. They can't seem to get the system purged so this time they sent me home with a spare gallon of coolant. Ok with me, but in hindsight I just wish they would have done it the first time, but who would guessed...

#26 ·
My L5P goes in tomorrow morning to get the block heater replaced. I am not sure why I need it, it was only -7 F two evenings ago with two and a half weeks to go before winter gets here, LOL.

#28 ·
I took my truck in yesterday for the block heater fix and it went without a hitch. I haven't had a chance to check and see if my coolant is full yet, but since I had to drive home 165 miles, it should be purged. I also had a check engine light for a bad glow plug on #1 and I got a call that the dealer, (largest in Montana) didn't have a glow plug in stock, but would have one tomorrow. I asked if they could send me the glow plug in the mail and I would install it myself and return the bad one and they agreed. At least they didn't give me any grief about the derringer or I dash, because I didn't unhook them.

#30 ·
Had the recall performed about a month ago, then started getting low coolant level warnings, they topped it up, happened again, they took it overnight for a pressure test. I just got a call from them; apparently it needs head gaskets, means a few weeks waiting for parts before they can even do the work.
Should I be concerned, maybe take it to a different dealer for a second opinion?

#32 ·
Mine is going in for its first oil change and a state inspection in 2 weeks. When I made the appointment I told the dealer I want the block heater recall work done as well. He told me I will get a notice in the mail when my VIN number comes up for the recall work to be done. I've never heard of them having a VIN lottery for recall work. And I hope I have better luck than I do with Powerball. :confuzeld

#33 ·
I called GM direct last week and was told they are only sending the new parts to cold weather states. Not Virginia. I was told the same thing, will get a letter in the mail when they get to my vehicle.

#36 ·
I took mine in today for its first oil change. I asked about the block heater fix, they said they have 4 of them, but none of them are for my VIN. The service writer gave me some attitude about it not being an "open recall". So there is no "open recall" on my truck, until my VIN is selected for the repair, then there will be an open recall. Then proceeded to tell me that I need to talk to GM about it. He also gave me attitude because I actually wanted to read the service documents before I signed them. Can't wait for the dealer survey from GM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.