Just curious... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 2.8L Duramax
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

2.8L Duramax Discuss the 2.8L Duramax diesel powered Chevy and GMC

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jnlperformance
  • 1 Post By Jaybeecon
  • 1 Post By johnH123
  • 1 Post By Jaybeecon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Just curious...

How's the new duramax performing?

As expected? Better than? Worse than? (Hopefully not)

Power expectations? Exceed? Mpg?

Sorry just curious....

Last edited by jnlperformance; 05-29-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

I just had it in my mind...

It seems like a good candidate for an engine swap on my ole 89 s10 blazer.

... but I was curious on thoughts and opinions on the platform first.

Last edited by jnlperformance; 05-29-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

I have just over 5K miles on my 2019 Colorado Z71 2.8. The only place that I've felt that it's been lacking is when I would compare it to my LMM - which is not a fair comparison.

As a stand-alone truck, I am very happy with the 4-cylinder diesel. While not "throw you back in the seat" acceleration it does get up and move and has more than enough power in all situations. Even with a loaded trailer of 5,000-6,000 pounds, I can still accelerate up hills on the interstate if needed.

Mileage is awesome. Under mixed conditions I'll average 24 point something mpg for just about every tank. That's with a mix of city and highway, towing and not and at all times loaded with a full bed toolbox (about 600 pounds) and a ladder rack. Without towing it goes up and as near as I can tell when actually towing I get 17-18 mpg. I have no doubt that if I ever get around to an extended highway only trip that mileage will climb to the low to mid 30's.

I've only had one mechanical issue - went into limp mode last week. But that reset after a few minutes so I could continue to use the truck. Turned out to be a faulty vacuum module for the DEF system and quickly replaced under warranty.

Overall I am very happy with it. Just don't compare it to the 6.6.

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Sounds like a good platform then!

I do expect lemons and flaws. They all have em.

Is it an inline 4? V-config? Inlines produce more torque and v(s) produce more hp.... I'm hoping you say inline. That would explain the "lack of get up n go" which is fine. If you want to go fast get a gasser v8. when it comes to diesels... torque, low end power and the ability to move weight... that's the name of the game to me.

On the brighter side of things... if I ever get around to swapping into my ole s10... I dont need to have the emissions crap on it no def, no collective(muffler)... straight pipes and turbo

... and of course you cant compare it to the 6.6! Lol... that's like comparing the dmax 6.6 to the isuzu dmax 8 liter... (forgot its actual size)... and comparing that to a cat c15 or Cummins isx600... or a Detroit d16... lol...

"There's NO replacement for DISPLACEMENT"
Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
johnH123
Glow Plug

sounds like you need a custom computer to control it with.

Gone but not forgotten: 2001 silverado 2500hd CC/SB, 4x4, 6.0 vortec, 229k miles when I traded it.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

It's an in-line 4.

I'd guess that your biggest issues with doing a swap into an S10 would be overall engine height and all the computer controlling/ emissions that come with a modern diesel engine. While not full sized, the Colorado is not a small truck - certainly not small when you figure in body height. I was parked next to a F-150 the other day and it really wasn't much different in looking at them in the parking lot. There is a lot more body to a Colorado compared to an S10. I think you'd at least be looking at a custom hood to make more room. Weight of the diesel over a stock S10 gas engine would be a factor too.

I'm happy with the performance and acceleration of the 2.8. It's just that I've been driving a 6.6 for the past 12 years and had an 8.1 gasser prior to that so I've gone from having obscene amounts of power to having good power. Like I said, no real fair comparison. I'm also feeling the downsize of comparing my 8' x over 4' bed of the old trucks to the 6' x 44" bed of the Colorado, but I'm dealing with it.

Overall I'm giving the Colorado a good solid 'A'. Price-wise it was a solid $25K less expensive than had I gotten another 2500 with the 6.6 and now that they have been out for a few years GM is willing to deal just like the bigger trucks. I got mine for over $9,000 below MSRP. That's real money and not counting trade factor or anything like that.

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

The ecm controller chip, weight and bay room were obvious issues tho nothing I've not dealt with before...

All problems with easy solutions;

I write custom chips already. I download the existing chip data. Its hexadecimal based addresses. Each sensor has a hex address. Download the data, take what I need, delete what I dont want (dpf, exhaust, emissions, ect) reapply and write to new blank chip via epom chip writer. Install new chip.

The catch 22 is it helps to be very familiar with hexadecimal coding language. This is also assuming they haven't recently changed the latest and greatest coding language to something else. Hex is ANCIENT anyway... would honestly be even better though if they did change it to something more flexible like C or C+/+

Bay clearance can be resolved easily with a 3in or greater lift kit. As far as height is concerned. Or I could cut the hood out and use a hood scoop but I'd rather stay away from that UNLESS I'm doing a true ram air intake. Like I'm about to do on my D25 here soon... but that's for another post on another day.

The weight issue can be resolved by using a gmt400/430 chassis's differential and torsion rods. If you want to swap out the control arms then some minor cutting/grinding and welding may be involved there. Otherwise they bolt right in. The torsion rods have to be shortened and the hanger brackets from the 330 to 430 have to be swapped out for the front diff. The gmt330 being the s series platform chassis. The 430 being the full size k series chassis. The gmt300 and gmt400 are the two wheel drive versions. I'd be doing the 4wd. Always.

The center brace may need to be beefed up where the torsion rods install into.

The only real problem I forsee would be the oil pan and clearance over the front differential. I have no clue what mounting style isuzu uses for those things. The s10 utilizes the sbc350 engine mounting style. Why the s10 is a popular sbc swap candidate...

And.. the overall engine length. I've done it before... but I'm not a fan of pulling transmission floor pans and firewall valleys. Its doable. Usually takes a few pieces of sheet metal to get it right after the wheel and bead roller... but it's either custom firewall valley sheet, and maybe trans pan sheet... or a dog box. I vote valley and trans sheet every time. Dog boxes are a pita. I hate them. With a passion. but again that depends on overall engine length.

Like I said tho... from what I've read.. the torque output and hp ratings (from gm/isuzu)... I really have kinda sorta fallen in love with the little bugger... seems like a nice hefty engine in a small package. And fuel efficient to bout!!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
chuckatkins
Sparkplug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
The catch 22 is it helps to be very familiar with hexadecimal coding language. This is also assuming they haven't recently changed the latest and greatest coding language to something else. Hex is ANCIENT anyway... would honestly be even better though if they did change it to something more flexible like C or C++
Off topic but fwiw the ECU operating systems are written in C. When you download the image from the ECU it's the binary executable compiled for the specific embedded CPU used by the ECU, combined with the necessary bootloader code and additional data parameters. The entire image contains everything but when tuning you're usually only editing the "data" portion, which is essentially the input file for the ECU program / os.

Back on topic: I've had a '16 Colorado 2.8 Duramax for 30k miles and I love it. I don't actually tow or haul much but the mileage makes it a great daily driver. I get 20-24 city driving and 30-35 highway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in