2.8 in the Express vans - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 2.8L Duramax
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

2.8L Duramax Discuss the 2.8L Duramax diesel powered Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2.8 in the Express vans

I happened to notice the FedEx driver was driving an Express with the 2.8 Duramax the other day. I asked him about it and he loves it. Great mileage and good power. Anybody else have one or has driven one?

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

I believe that they also have the 2.8 with an 8-speed transmission in the van.

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Kingpin

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I test drove one, the motor just doesn’t cut it. Highway driving was horrible even empty, if I had it loaded like my van is now it would be worse.
NRA Member, GOAL member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Kingpin

With the 1500 pickups getting a new 3.0 inline diesel, I’m surprised GM used the 2.8
NRA Member, GOAL member
Old 01-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
cgreen
Diesel Expert

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
With the 1500 pickups getting a new 3.0 inline diesel, Iím surprised GM used the 2.8

Makes sense and that's what customer's want so GM probably won't do it. The new 3.0 should be around 250 hp and 450-480 ft lbs. I've driven a lot of miles in an old Penske box truck loaded out at 26k with 200 hp and 500 ft lbs and it was way underpowered. Unloaded it was 15k and it would hold 65mph governed on most hills, so a van that weighs under 8000 lbs with 450 ft lbs and a transmission that keeps it in the power band should be more than adequate. I drove my dad's 2000 express 3500 with 15 ft van body and it weighed 8000 empty. The vortec 5.7 had 250 hp and 330 ft lbs and I think it was down on power a bit, but still would run 75 mph at 10,000 lbs.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreen View Post
Makes sense and that's what customer's want so GM probably won't do it. The new 3.0 should be around 250 hp and 450-480 ft lbs. I've driven a lot of miles in an old Penske box truck loaded out at 26k with 200 hp and 500 ft lbs and it was way underpowered. Unloaded it was 15k and it would hold 65mph governed on most hills, so a van that weighs under 8000 lbs with 450 ft lbs and a transmission that keeps it in the power band should be more than adequate. I drove my dad's 2000 express 3500 with 15 ft van body and it weighed 8000 empty. The vortec 5.7 had 250 hp and 330 ft lbs and I think it was down on power a bit, but still would run 75 mph at 10,000 lbs.
250hp and 450 tq with the 8speed would be fine
NRA Member, GOAL member
Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
28 Expressvan
Low Boost

We are typically running about 7500 lbs GVW in Chicago traffic and also 100 mile runs on the highway. The little motor launches the van quite well, since it has way more bottom end than typical gas v-8's (325 ft lbs @ 1500 rpm, 370 @2000). In the city, it drives about the same as the 5.4 E 250 it replaced. On the highway, no trouble merging and accelerating while loaded. It’s no race car, but it’s fine.
I’ve never driven one of the big diesels, but to attempt to compare this 2.8 to engines over twice its size doesn’t seem to add up. Those big diesel vehicles have about 3 times the torque to weight ratio and about twice the HP to weight ratio of almost all production vehicles in the past 50 years. Yes this van will seem slow compared to those, but it has plenty of power for the typical user. At 180hp, this is more power than most small block V-8’s made until rather recently, and it has way more torque where its counts.
Fuel Economy is exceptional when heavily loaded. We run about 20 to 21 mpg city, and holding a steady 66 mph (at 65 it will downshift to 7th) we just got 33.3 mpg in humid 90 weather with A/C on over 60 miles, while running behind a semi, but not too close. This is probably about the best anyone could get running without any mods, as I had the speed control set at slightly over 65 to keep the tranny in 8th and then added a little extra as needed to maintain driving distance behind the semi. At this speed, the engine is engine running 1600 rpm (about 100 hp). On heavier grades, such as coming out of a river valley, it would downshift to 7th to maintain speed (2100 rpm/ 150 hp), but otherwise would stay in 8th. This is on relatively flat interstate of the Midwest. On open road without trailing a semi, we get a little over 30. At about 55 to 60 mph in heavy highway traffic entering a big city about 31.5 to 32 mpg...the other traffic helps pull and push you along due to drafting etc.
I've been hoping for a small diesel in a full size van for over 15 years. It provides the torque needed to get heavy loads moving, but sips fuel like a compact car.....a perfect combo for tradespeople. The big diesels never made any sense for regular tradesmen, since they don't almost never pull 15000 lb trailers, which I suspect is probably about 98% of the truck and van buyers. For that matter, must truck/van/ suv's are not carrying more than a couple of people, so it's about time a drive train was offered that fits this need quite well.
My only gripes have been the crappy factory shocks (this thing feels like our 2007 Jeep GC with 180,000 miles on it with the original struts) and the fact that the tranny holds low gears way too long. In city traffic this occurs about 35 MPH and it will hold the engine at about 2200 rpm until you accelerate to 37 mph, and on the highway....the trans will not upshift to high gear until 67 mph. On the highway it appears to be about a 10% hit in fuel economy at 65. In the city it’s a little harder to tell, but running 2200 rpm when you only need 1500 rpm or less can't be too good for economy. Again this is running about 7500 lb. GVW.
With the 20,000 miles per year we put on vans, the payback for the diesel upgrade is only about 18 months. If we keep the vehicle for 12 years (my daily driver is a 93), we should save about $30,000.00 on fuel costs over the 6.0 l v-8's that we have in other vans. The mileage is about double of the v-8s, maybe even more than double on the highway.
I do plan to complete some aero mods on the van that should bump the fuel economy up some more, since GM has done very little in this department and there's is a lot of room for improvement. I expect low to mid 30's mileage could be regularly attained with a loaded van, and maybe even better if running lighter.
With the couple exceptions noted above… shocks, trans holding gears too long and poor aero… this is a really good combination. While mileage is still way behind full size service vans sold in Europe (they get about 40 to 45 mpg with 1.4 L turbo diesels), for a heavy full framed vehicle this is exceptional. We will be buying more of these to replace the 6.0l gas equipped vans we have in service.
If put in full size pickups, this drivetrain is going to kill the Ford turbo full size trucks. They are only rated at 24 highway and rumored to get worse mileage than the v-8’s when worked hard.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

That's probably the best and most informative first DP post I've ever read.

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28 Expressvan View Post
We are typically running about 7500 lbs GVW in Chicago traffic and also 100 mile runs on the highway. The little motor launches the van quite well, since it has way more bottom end than typical gas v-8's (325 ft lbs @ 1500 rpm, 370 @2000). In the city, it drives about the same as the 5.4 E 250 it replaced. On the highway, no trouble merging and accelerating while loaded. Itís no race car, but itís fine.
Iíve never driven one of the big diesels, but to attempt to compare this 2.8 to engines over twice its size doesnít seem to add up. Those big diesel vehicles have about 3 times the torque to weight ratio and about twice the HP to weight ratio of almost all production vehicles in the past 50 years. Yes this van will seem slow compared to those, but it has plenty of power for the typical user. At 180hp, this is more power than most small block V-8ís made until rather recently, and it has way more torque where its counts.
Fuel Economy is exceptional when heavily loaded. We run about 20 to 21 mpg city, and holding a steady 66 mph (at 65 it will downshift to 7th) we just got 33.3 mpg in humid 90 weather with A/C on over 60 miles, while running behind a semi, but not too close. This is probably about the best anyone could get running without any mods, as I had the speed control set at slightly over 65 to keep the tranny in 8th and then added a little extra as needed to maintain driving distance behind the semi. At this speed, the engine is engine running 1600 rpm (about 100 hp). On heavier grades, such as coming out of a river valley, it would downshift to 7th to maintain speed (2100 rpm/ 150 hp), but otherwise would stay in 8th. This is on relatively flat interstate of the Midwest. On open road without trailing a semi, we get a little over 30. At about 55 to 60 mph in heavy highway traffic entering a big city about 31.5 to 32 mpg...the other traffic helps pull and push you along due to drafting etc.
I've been hoping for a small diesel in a full size van for over 15 years. It provides the torque needed to get heavy loads moving, but sips fuel like a compact car.....a perfect combo for tradespeople. The big diesels never made any sense for regular tradesmen, since they don't almost never pull 15000 lb trailers, which I suspect is probably about 98% of the truck and van buyers. For that matter, must truck/van/ suv's are not carrying more than a couple of people, so it's about time a drive train was offered that fits this need quite well.
My only gripes have been the crappy factory shocks (this thing feels like our 2007 Jeep GC with 180,000 miles on it with the original struts) and the fact that the tranny holds low gears way too long. In city traffic this occurs about 35 MPH and it will hold the engine at about 2200 rpm until you accelerate to 37 mph, and on the highway....the trans will not upshift to high gear until 67 mph. On the highway it appears to be about a 10% hit in fuel economy at 65. In the city itís a little harder to tell, but running 2200 rpm when you only need 1500 rpm or less can't be too good for economy. Again this is running about 7500 lb. GVW.
With the 20,000 miles per year we put on vans, the payback for the diesel upgrade is only about 18 months. If we keep the vehicle for 12 years (my daily driver is a 93), we should save about $30,000.00 on fuel costs over the 6.0 l v-8's that we have in other vans. The mileage is about double of the v-8s, maybe even more than double on the highway.
I do plan to complete some aero mods on the van that should bump the fuel economy up some more, since GM has done very little in this department and there's is a lot of room for improvement. I expect low to mid 30's mileage could be regularly attained with a loaded van, and maybe even better if running lighter.
With the couple exceptions noted aboveÖ shocks, trans holding gears too long and poor aeroÖ this is a really good combination. While mileage is still way behind full size service vans sold in Europe (they get about 40 to 45 mpg with 1.4 L turbo diesels), for a heavy full framed vehicle this is exceptional. We will be buying more of these to replace the 6.0l gas equipped vans we have in service.
If put in full size pickups, this drivetrain is going to kill the Ford turbo full size trucks. They are only rated at 24 highway and rumored to get worse mileage than the v-8ís when worked hard.
What do you use the van for? How many miles on it so far?
There is a van section here too, post up your mods in there you do for mileage and swap out your shocks.
NRA Member, GOAL member
Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
28 Expressvan
Low Boost

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybeecon View Post
That's probably the best and most informative first DP post I've ever read.
Thanks for the complement!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in