Priced out a Colorado and a Canyon - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 2.8L Duramax
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

2.8L Duramax Discuss the 2.8L Duramax diesel powered Chevy and GMC

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Priced out a Colorado and a Canyon

I priced out a Colorado and a Canyon and I'm still not convinced. I like the look of the truck, and I like the orange Chevy offers (not available on the GMC), but like some of the options you can get with the GMC that aren't offered on the Chevy.

Beyond that, it's perturbing some of the options you can't get on either that are available on the full size. For example, sun roof and power rear sliding window. Some guys don't like sunroofs, and they were never an option in the S10 series or the newer Colorado/Canyons but I've liked them, going all the way back to my 76 Firebird with T-tops. I love the power slider in my full size. When I was driving S10's with extended cabs, I could reach the rear slider to open/close, but you can't get the diesel engine in the extended cab, and I can't reach the window in the crew version. Nor did I notice whether the tailgate locks - manually or with the power doors.

I can't say these are deal breakers but now I'm trying to decide whether trading these for better mileage, a smaller parking foot print, and the ability to use drive through car washes again is worth it. If I could get the diesel in an extended cab as opposed to having to go with the crew cab, it would make the decision a lot easier, at least for me.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dmax Fan
Glow Plug

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

I think a lot of people that will get the 2.8L Will be using it as a daily driver just for the fuel economy vs the 6.6L, options or not. Not sure that people will trade there HD's in for one though. Not very many anyway. Plus if you price one(like you did) you know they are as much as a 1/2 ton truck.

Future Duramax Owner

2005 1/2 Ton Chevy ECSB Z71/4x4 242K miles (sold)
2014 Chevy Cruze

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Marty G
Glow Plug

When I priced out the 1/2 ton Silverado to the same options as the Colorado (comparing the diesel package Colorado LT to the Silverado 4.3 V6 LT), the 1/2 ton was 6,000 more on average using Kelley blue book. Trying to get everything matched up on the option packages was somewhat difficult.

When folks say that they are the same price, they are assuming that the 1/2 ton will be discounted more, but that depends on when you buy.

Last edited by Marty G; 04-21-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty G View Post
When I priced out the 1/2 ton Silverado to the same options as the Colorado (comparing the diesel package Colorado LT to the Silverado 4.3 V6 LT), the 1/2 ton was 6,000 more on average using Kelley blue book. Trying to get everything matched up on the option packages was somewhat difficult.

When folks say that they are the same price, they are assuming that the 1/2 ton will be discounted more, but that depends on when you buy.
I agree, and two major reasons for my wanting the Colorado/Canyon is to downsize and still have a diesel. Both reasons rule out the 1/2 ton. I know the guy who used to be the VP over US sales. Too bad he's retired or I'd be bending his ear!

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dmax Fan
Glow Plug

If you compare Crew cab (1/2) 5.3 vs Crew cab (Colorado) 2.8L with similar options they are priced the same on Chevy.com.

Tom S Would you trade in your HD for a Colorado Diesel? Or would you get the 2.8L for your daily driver?

Future Duramax Owner

2014 Chevy Cruze

Old 04-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Marty G
Glow Plug

Hadn't tried there. The thing though was when I got the actual price from the dealer, they matched up pretty close (within a few hundred) to what I had done.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
97chevor
Diesel Boss

I think any deal is gone put the screws to ya trading in the dually. So no more need to haul camper around?
2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - over 82,000 miles

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
dieselmike1
Diesel Champ

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
I priced out a Colorado and a Canyon and I'm still not convinced. I like the look of the truck, and I like the orange Chevy offers (not available on the GMC), but like some of the options you can get with the GMC that aren't offered on the Chevy.

Beyond that, it's perturbing some of the options you can't get on either that are available on the full size. For example, sun roof and power rear sliding window. Some guys don't like sunroofs, and they were never an option in the S10 series or the newer Colorado/Canyons but I've liked them, going all the way back to my 76 Firebird with T-tops. I love the power slider in my full size. When I was driving S10's with extended cabs, I could reach the rear slider to open/close, but you can't get the diesel engine in the extended cab, and I can't reach the window in the crew version. Nor did I notice whether the tailgate locks - manually or with the power doors.

I can't say these are deal breakers but now I'm trying to decide whether trading these for better mileage, a smaller parking foot print, and the ability to use drive through car washes again is worth it. If I could get the diesel in an extended cab as opposed to having to go with the crew cab, it would make the decision a lot easier, at least for me.
Tom, i believe GMC will be coming out with the Denali model in 2017, Im not sure if it will have a sunroof option or not. Whether or not you want to wait that long or not is up to you.
I am very happy with my Colorado so far. It is a blast to drive, has plenty of power and torque, it will light up the tires from a dead stop, im currently getting about 26.7mpg avg. and 31 to 33mpg on the interstate at 70mph in a crew cab 4x4 Z71 Colorado with less than 500 miles on the engine. Whats not to like?
Proud Member#1076 of the 3500 Dually Club
Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
dieselmike1
Diesel Champ

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Just checked out this article on the new 2017 denali. It looks like a power sunroof will only be available on the Sierra Denali Ultimate package.
2017 GMC Canyon Denali and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate: LA Auto Show - Autotrader
Proud Member#1076 of the 3500 Dually Club
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dmax Fan
Glow Plug

Ok cool. How is your 2.8L doing? mileage? mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty G View Post
Hadn't tried there. The thing though was when I got the actual price from the dealer, they matched up pretty close (within a few hundred) to what I had done.

Future Duramax Owner

2014 Chevy Cruze

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in