03 LB7 balance rates, coolant temp questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Durty03

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
RJR88
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

03 LB7 balance rates, coolant temp questions

Hello everybody, a few questions I have about my new to me Duramax. Here are a few photos to help with my questions as you can tell, fuel rail pressure seems to be fine which eliminates the need for me asking about a lift pump right now. Currently have the Bluetooth OBD2 reader with the torque app and figured out how to get my balance rates working thanks to this forum. 247xxx, starts fine in the cold.

1. After looking at the balance rates am I in danger of melting anyting with that high of a balance rate as I currently do not have the funds to replace the injectors. Should I stop driving the truck? She is my daily driver right now and probably commute 6280 miles a day. Never mind I cannot post a photo so I will just tell you.

The worst is cylinder 4 at 9.9 (has gotten to 11.6 before) cylinder 3 -3.9
And cylinder 8 is around -4.5

2. Engine temp on gauge cluster rarely exceeds the first quarter hash mark (185) but torque app reads about 150-165 on avg) not sure why though.

A preemptive thank you for all your time and consideration to read through this and try to give me your words of wisdom and input as my intent is to keep this truck for the Long Haul. Also has Allison a1000 tranny in it so as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with that issues wise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
RJR88
Low Boost

Forgot to mention that I'm using Diesel Kleen it about every tank as well. Could this be the cause? Asking as if maybe I'm cleaning them too much and this is why the injector rate is at 11. I don't think this would be the problem but I don't know enough to know better.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace
Please take a moment to fill out your signature with vehicle info( Year, Make, and Model) and list any known mods.
Also, please list a general location into your profile (ie. State, etc..)
When this is completed the info will appear with each post you create and will assist the other members when giving you diagnostic or repair advice.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Durty03
Low Boost

If you have an LB7 you need to set aside cash for injectors unless you have proof of when they where changed and proof of the injectors that were used. Lincoln Diesel sells SAC style injectors which should improve their lifespan. I personally would not drive a truck with injectors dumping fuel but you don't mention excessive smoke or noise. I would send an oil sample in to have it analyzed for fuel contamination. If an injector is stuck and dumping fuel it will show up. Your fuel rail pressure really will not be effected by a lift pump. The lift pump will change the fuel system from vacuum to pressure to the CP3. It will also help prevent collapsed fuel lines and help diagnose areas where you could possibly be sucking air under vacuum and add extra filtration. Your fuel rail pressure is 25KPSI for example while the lift pump pressure to the CP3 is 10PSI.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
DaviesDurmax
Freeze Plug

I put to much Diesel Kleen in once and it made my truck smoke, had one injector go to 8-9. Backed off on it and made sure to get good fuel and have had no problems since. The injector is usually around 1.5-3 now
K&N CAI w/ air scoop
Mossner fuel pump
Bilistien shocks
Firestone airbags in back
PPE hot +2 E.T.
Built Allison Transmission

Last edited by OkDually; 01-15-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: sig
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in