Question: 2004 LB7 Fix or Replace - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
hunter_92
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2004 LB7 Fix or Replace

New to the form, I have a 2004 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Crew cab 4x4. the truck is starting to show the age on it, and i am trying to decide to start replacing parts here and there or should i look at replacing the truck? Wondering you guys opinions or if anyone has pretty much rebuilt one of these before and would you still do it again or just replace the truck if you had to do over again. The previous owner (which i know) replaced, injectors, injector harnesses, glow plugs, head gaskets, Arp Head studs. it also has a EFI live mild tune from ppei. after market exhaust and air intake. the problems with it now are loose steering (idler and pitman arm), and a coolant leak somewhere (not headgaskets, narrowed that much down.) Of course if i started doing parts i would do the front end and all of that, just curious if it would be a smart move or if i would be better off just looking into replacing the truck all together. it has 226k miles and all work was done about 195k. Thanks in advanced!

Last edited by OkDually; 10-09-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to the LB7 section of the forum for more appropriate answers to your issue.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
chillyw2
Glow Plug

I’m in the same boat. I’m interested to hear peoples opinions on this. 2002 with 183,788 and a little bit of smoke at idle.

Member of IBEW 1245. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

IMO if you like the truck, fix it! Putting 2k a year or so into an old truck is still cheaper than a truck payment
Old 10-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Yeah, the stuff I need to fix with my truck (odd electrical problem, leaking hoses, general wear parts, now the hydroboost has a bit of a leak, a seal on the front diff keeps failing) is WAY cheaper than a monthly truck payment/higher insurance payment.

I've got 80k km on my rebuilt transmission & transfer case, and if the engine looks like it's failing, I'll rebuild the engine in my parts truck and swap it in.

The most likely parting of my truck and me will be a collision that costs more than the truck is worth (a fairly low hurdle to clear) and is damaged in a way I can't repair.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 10-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
duramaxforlife
Freeze Plug

I would fix it. None of your problems seem to difficult and it's much easier to work on a 04 than a new truck and it's also alot cheaper
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Rust issues would be my deciding factor not mechanical on these gen 1 trucks.

If it’s solid and you like it fix it. Even better if it’s paid for, I hate car payments!

Of course, I would sell it and get a 1ton CC4x4 dually...because I think everyone should have at least 1 dually!

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
fcaramadre
Sparkplug Hunter

Keep it. you have the best engine in it. No emissions, lots of power. I have 217,000 on mine and wouldn't trade it for one with all that junk they put on them now. Mine smokes a little on idle once and a while too. throw some good injection cleaner in there. And get rid of that stock fuel filter. Its only good for 10 microns. Get a nicktane adapter and run a cat filter that filters to 2 microns. Thats why the lb7 had such problems with the injectors. Stock filter lets too much junk through it. And the cat filter is a lot cheaper too. Change it twice a year and you wont have any problems.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

Cheaper to keep her....

Then again, I am biased to my LB7...

I always say.... "I can do ALOT of fixing for a new truck payment".
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lingus
Diesel Apprentice

I bought the Raped Ape new and she's got 310k on her. Yep I've spent a tidy sum on injectors($4k),gaskets ($2k) and always spending money replacing wear items. Probably $7k or more. Just replaced the windshield today for $180. It's worth it.

Biggest challenge is keeping it rustproofed.

The Raped Ape -2006 GMC 2500 LBZ, CCSB, 4WD, EFI Live w/mild tune, injectors @160k miles, head gaskets at 190k, , Superglide Hitch, otherwise stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in