Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackdog3
  • 1 Post By Blackdog3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blackdog3
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Bad FICM or something else? Need advice

Hey Gang, my 2001 dmax is acting up. It was running fine then all of a sudden it started tractoring and limp mode. Codes pulled were Po201, 204, 206,207 and po261. I had been reading alot which can cause trouble also. I pulled the harness out and traced it all over looking for broken wires. I didnt find any. I am unsure how to test anything. Any Advice would be great. I dont want to throw expensive parts at it.

Thanks

CHris

BlackDog
98 Chevy Silverado 9in of lift 38's

Ironsides
82 Chevy K 30 Silverado 4x4 6in of lift 35's 12 V Cummins repower

Otis
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab D Max
112 K Miles, 4in Exhaust, Vol-ant air intake, Bully Dog Tripled dog Programmer and Rear air bags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog3 View Post
Hey Gang, my 2001 dmax is acting up. It was running fine then all of a sudden it started tractoring and limp mode. Codes pulled were Po201, 204, 206,207 and po261. I had been reading alot which can cause trouble also. I pulled the harness out and traced it all over looking for broken wires. I didnt find any. I am unsure how to test anything. Any Advice would be great. I dont want to throw expensive parts at it.

Thanks

CHris
Any mods done to your 01' Dmax? It's not listed in your signature.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blackdog3
Diesel Apprentice

Hey there, only thing i Had on it was a bully dog tuner. Had it on there forever though. I pulled the tune out and so now its stock other then that its stock truck.

BlackDog

Ironsides

Otis
112 K Miles, 4in Exhaust, Vol-ant air intake, Bully Dog Tripled dog Programmer and Rear air bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blackdog3
Diesel Apprentice

I been messing with this all day, made very little progress. I disconnected at the wiring harness to the injector and with my ohm meter I tested the pegs. I was able to get .5 or .05 reading on the injectors except for one its says 4.3. I have the front driverside left to check after dinner.

BlackDog

Ironsides

Otis
Old 09-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
smore79
That's what she said....

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

I had a similar issue with my FICM, I ended up having to replace mine.
This was my thread:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...bad-u0105.html

I also found the harness to be rubbed through on the driver side front. Was on the bottom side of the harness, rubbing on the valve cover. Your harness may be a bit different than a LLY, however I believe this is what caused my fuses to keep blowing.
Good luck
EFI Live DSP5 Spade | 68mm Billet Cheetah
FASS Platiunum 150 | Suncoast G-Max 5 w/ 1056
5" Straight Exhaust Diamond Eye Downpipe
EGR Blocked | S&B LBZ Intake & Mouthpiece
RedHead Steering Box | Amp Steps....Lots of other stuff

2016 GMC Denali HD LML
CCSB 4x4
Stealth Module

USN 2002-2008
Old 09-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Blackdog3
Diesel Apprentice

Hey Thanks for your reply. Its hard to find help these days so its great when i hear from someone. I am glad you go yours fixed with the FICM, i was able to source one but the guy who is a friend of friend said he wouldn't lend it to me to try, i have to buy it with no returns. Pretty crappy i think. I am going to try to pull the passenger side valve cover tomorrow to see if my issue is with the injector harness not being tight. I have read a good bit about them coming loosing. Hopefully this solves my issue. I do seem to have bad luck at times.

BlackDog

Ironsides

Otis
Old 09-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

I got my FICM from RA last year best price I could find, had a core charge that was more than the part....

In case you have to buy it...
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
New2diesellb7
Sparkplug Hunter

Hey check your grounds at the front passenger side of block gotta really get in there to find but, I had an “expert” come out and scan my truck he works at a dealer and has a small performance diesel shop in area. He told me he was 100% that I needed a new FICM , I almost pulled the trigger but long story short I stick my head back in there and found that very slightly loose ground; I didn’t think that was it until I removed and saw how much rust had accumulated under that bolt and on the block. I took a little sand paper to it got in nice and shiny a little brake cleaner reattached and problem solved! Truck was off the road for over a week trying to figure out problem! It’s worth a check.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Blackdog3
Diesel Apprentice

Hey guys, figured I would post back. I got enough of reading I figured I would tackle the job myself. I had verfied everything with testing from above and Number 1 injector was giving me my issue. I went and took everything apart. I got in there and noticed that the wire was loose to the stud. I was like great I lucked out. I touched it and fell off. They guy who did injectors on it and 101,000 glued or Jb welded the wire to the injector because the stud was broke off. I was pissed and amazed at the sametime. It lasted 28,000 miles. So i pulled all four injectors and send them to Dan's diesel to be cleaned and to get a new solenoid put on top of the one injector.

BlackDog

Ironsides

Otis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in