LB7 SAC00 installed 2x, same fuel leak - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2019, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
fillmore85
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LB7 SAC00 installed 2x, same fuel leak

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500hd LB7 with 269k.
I bought it for a daily and Towing a trailer for camping.
When I got it there was a hazing issue that got progressively worse as the engine warmed up.
The drive home was about 90 miles, but went smooth aside from the obvious lag in acceleration.
As I was replacing all of the fluids I noticed that the oil was full of diesel.
Knowing both of these issues I began planning for an injector replacement.

Right around this time I was reading about the SAC00 injectors and how they were going to be better than the Bosch Reman's everyone sells now.
I waited and waited for those injectors to become available and got the install kit with High pressure lines and (8) SAC00 injectors from DmaxStore.
I had a month to tear everything down and wait for the injectors and then I had 36hrs to get them installed before I was going camping for Memorial Day.
Took it on a 30min drive to check for any problems and was really excited by how it performed.
The trip was 170mi one way and at about 150mi I started smelling diesel and noticing some smoke out the exhaust.
The next day the engine bay was covered in diesel like it was spraying everywhere.
A few days later on the drive home it started getting close to overheating when climbing hills.

I got home and pressure washed the trailer and engine bay and called the diesel shop I'd been in contact with.
I told him the issues and he made it seem like the problem was in the work that I had done.
This being the 2nd engine I've torn apart, 1st diesel, I thought "Sure, it's possible that I didn't do something correctly."
The place was super busy but after a few weeks I got a call to come pick it up. That was one of the best feelings driving it after all that time.
I drove it on two short trips of about 40mi and 75mi... and then those symptoms came back. Raw diesel smell, grey smoke and lagging acceleration. Felt like I got kicked in the junk.
Called the shop and they agreed to look it over as they warranty their work.

Again took forever but they called today and said everything they did looks fine, but suggested checking/replacing return lines or sending off injectors for testing.
Injectors being brand new shouldn't have any issues. But the return lines made me wonder, would it be the return line itself or a washer that fits on the return line?
All washers would have been replaced twice now. Did we both mess up the same thing or is the problem elsewhere?
I'm assuming they had to tear it apart to inspect the work they did, so now is the time for repairs. But aside from replacing the fuel return lines I don't know where the problem lies.
I've thought about the CP3 and head gaskets, but don't exhibit any major symptoms to suggest those repairs.
Kind of wish I bought a newer truck with less/different problems.
But I also understand the timeline for this truck has high and low points. Just want to be able to look back at this and laugh.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
oldred95
Diesel Nut

You said raw diesel smell and smoking but what about fuel in the oil?

I have seen one CP3 pump on a 2003, that once above say 18,000 maybe even 20,000 psi, would spray a water fall worth of fuel out from behind the drive gear that of course would end up in the oil pan. Also the 01-02 CP3 pumps were somewhat failure prone with higher miles than the 03 and later pumps. I've also heard of a cracked fuel rail on an 01 that when under heavy load would shower the engine bay in fuel.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
fillmore85
Gear Grinder

Oh yes. Full of Diesel and overflowing the oil pan.
I believe it was getting pushed out of the overflow and going everywhere in the engine bay.
The guy I bought the truck from even gave me a used CP3 knowing they were a weak link for the LB7.
I don't think he knew what the problem was though.
To check the CP3 can I unplug the FPR to max out the rail pressure with the CP3 return line going into a container to monitor it?
Would I be able to check the fuel rail in the same manner with the FPR unplugged?
Isn't there a dye that needs to be added as well? Can this be done with the valve covers removed?
My motivation to DIY comes and goes but I'm really hoping the shop comes through and fixes the issue...otherwise what's the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
fillmore85
Gear Grinder

Update: Truck no longer dumps diesel into the oil. Shop fixed "leaky return line."
In October I installed the pump rub kit for the transfer case and serviced the Front & Rear Diff.
Only driving it about 20 miles each week right now while I try and get all of DTC's figured out.
I have a few codes I'm going to try to remedy.
I had 3 codes from 11/25 P0101, P0380 and P0405.
MAF sensor replaced solved P0101.
Back in Dec 2018 I checked the glow plugs and found 2 that had a higher resistance, ordered 2 to fix P0380.
Not sure about P0405. I replaced the EGR valve back in May when I originally did injectors and haven't driven more than 500 miles since. Maybe check vacuum hoses.
Drove 35 miles today and now have: P0380, P0405, P0700, P0848 & P0875.
After seeing this I checked fluid levels and Trans fluid & engine oil are low. Have it parked on level ground tonight and I'll check that tomorrow.
It's weird because the trans fluid was fine/high when I installed the pump rub kit, maybe 150 miles ago.
The exhaust is pretty smelly, but not like burning oil though. The guy that I got it from said he drained a bunch of diesel out of the muffler. So there is a 3/16" hole there.
Hopefully I can get some of this done this weekend.
Didn't want to leave people hanging 5 years from now.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

P0848, P0875
Could be low oil or this.
You might have leaky sealing rings from the factory. Just let it warm up to fill the converter. You have leaky sealing rings from the factory. Problem was solved when Mike L. & Crafty1 re disigned the rings and fixed the problem.

The fluid must be hot to ensure an accurate check.
The fluid level rises as temperature increases.
1. Operate the transmission in DRIVE (D) until the
normal operating temperature of 160F (71C) to
200F (93C) is reached.
2. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a clean rag or
paper towel.
3. Push it back in all the way, wait three seconds
and then pull it back out again. Repeat the check
procedure to verify the reading.
4. Safe operating level is within the HOT RUN band
on the dipstick. The width of the HOT RUN band
represents approximately 1.06 quart (1.0 liter)
of fluid at normal operating temperature.
5. If the fluid level is not within the HOT RUN band,
add or drain fluid as necessary to bring the fluid
level to within the HOT RUN band.
6. If the fluid level is in the acceptable range, push the
dipstick back in all the way.

P0380 Google (Duramax LB7 P0380) lots to read
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...0380-code.html
P0405 Google (Duramax LB7 P0405) lots to read.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...-sens-low.html

Last edited by Rvn4me; 11-30-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in