Need help! 6k roadtrip and white smoke - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sluger17
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Need help! 6k roadtrip and white smoke

Hey guys need some help. Just started a 6000 mile road trip across the country, and I'm about a thousand miles in. I had a little bit of white smoke after warm up out of the exhaust before the trip and now on the trip there is a good amount more white smoke after she warms up. we have been pulling our 39 foot trailer. I tried to troubleshoot it and I'm narrowing things down to what I think it may be. I checked the coolant level this morning was about a quart low but that might be may just battling getting some air bubbles out of the system from maintenance prior to the trip. the upper radiator hose is not hard when hot or when cold I checked this morning she wasn't hard either. She's been running pretty good idling good, alittle bit of black smoke when getting on the highway and accelerating at about 3/4 throttle I'm running the banks Six-Gun I'm only on level three. I decided to check the balance rates with Torque Pro and I'll post the picture below. I think I may need a set of injectors at this point. It's been awhile since I use the app to check them and I had the truck in Drive, foot on the brake when I took the screenshot. This was after towing for a little over an hour. I let her idle for 10 minutes before checking The rates. The truck has 233 thousand miles on her. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190625-110941_1561479891450.jpg (31.2 KB, 4 views)
Rebuilt stock turbo with a billet 11 fin wheel
Banks bighead Watergate actuator
Driver side full flow manifold
3 inch down pipe
4 inch from down pipe back
Pacbrake exhaust brake
Banks Six Gun running on level 3
AEM water/meth injection
Word of lift pump
ATS stage 2 Allison with their TQ Converter
Boost, EGT, Rail pressure Gauges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluger17 View Post
Hey guys need some help. Just started a 6000 mile road trip across the country, and I'm about a thousand miles in. I had a little bit of white smoke after warm up out of the exhaust before the trip and now on the trip there is a good amount more white smoke after she warms up. we have been pulling our 39 foot trailer. I tried to troubleshoot it and I'm narrowing things down to what I think it may be. I checked the coolant level this morning was about a quart low but that might be may just battling getting some air bubbles out of the system from maintenance prior to the trip. the upper radiator hose is not hard when hot or when cold I checked this morning she wasn't hard either. She's been running pretty good idling good, alittle bit of black smoke when getting on the highway and accelerating at about 3/4 throttle I'm running the banks Six-Gun I'm only on level three. I decided to check the balance rates with Torque Pro and I'll post the picture below. I think I may need a set of injectors at this point. It's been awhile since I use the app to check them and I had the truck in Drive, foot on the brake when I took the screenshot. This was after towing for a little over an hour. I let her idle for 10 minutes before checking The rates. The truck has 233 thousand miles on her. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.
Tell us a little more about your truck.
( Year, Make, and Model) and list any known mods.

This info will help the other members give you better diagnostic or repair advice

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sluger17
Heat Sink

Sorry I was trying to post while on the road.

2003 Silverado 3500 crew cab dually
LB7 233,254 I bought it at about 207k
Looked fairly unmolested when I bought it since then.
K&N intake
Turbo intake horn
3 inch down pipe
Pacbrake exhaust brake
AEM water/meth injection
Word of lift pump
Fresh fluids before the trip

Airbags
B&W fifth wheel
Pulling a 2017 Heartland Elkridge E365
Hit the scales at 22,520

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Let me know if ya'll need anymore info. Thanks again.
3 inch down pipe
Pacbrake exhaust brake
AEM water/meth injection
Word of lift pump
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
lynn1130
Diesel Apprentice

6 and 7 don't look good at first blush and 1 and 2 are so-so. If you are hazing at idle you may want to check the oil level and the paper towel test may tell you if there is fuel in the oil.
Take a reading after warm up at idle and then again with it in gear (foot on the brake) and idling. It has been awhile but as I recall you do not want to see numbers over 4 at idle and or 6 in gear.

The next is probably going to be a return rate test. Mine did not make oil when the injectors went but it did start using oil. If it has never had injectors redone someone was lucky.
Kennedy Lift Pump
Edge Insight

Sold: 2004 Duramax LB7

2011 3010 Heartland Cyclone HD 35' Toyhauler
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sluger17
Heat Sink

Just stopped for fuel and checked the oil level it is full and black. Did my best to get a couple drops of oil on some paper towel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190625_135509_1561490184460.jpg (29.5 KB, 6 views)
3 inch down pipe
Pacbrake exhaust brake
AEM water/meth injection
Word of lift pump
Old 06-26-2019, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

I would check oil level often, keep a eye on everything else and enjoy the vacation. I put almost 16k miles on my old 04 LB7 before I did injectors and when I sold the truck it had over 455k miles.
The biggest deal is if you suffer a crack injector body and start making oil. You are pulling heavy so I wouldn't be rough with the truck. I am assuming the white smoke is at idle and if so I wouldn't let it idle for extended periods of time.
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Old 06-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sluger17
Heat Sink

This morning I checked the oil level it's still full but not over filled. I also took 2 more balance rate screenshots one after she warmed up at idle in park and one in drive with foot on the brake. The upper radiator hose felt a bit stiff this morning when she was cold I could still squeeze it fairly easily. The coolant was only about 1/2 below the cold full line. Yesterday on drove 675 miles. I have a shorter drive the next 2 days but if I need to replace something I will have the time and facilities to do so on the 1st. The first screenshot is in park and the second drive. The truck kinda feels like it has a lite lope at idle. The majority of the white smoke is at idle. It's hard to see if there is white smoke while driving but I'll try and see today. I only let her idle about 3-8 min to cool off after getting off the highway. Again I appreciate the help guys.
3 inch down pipe
Pacbrake exhaust brake
AEM water/meth injection
Word of lift pump
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

I think you will be Ok. Enjoy you vacation and fix the truck with new injectors when you get back home. Talk with Brent at LDS or someone reputable and they will provide you with solutions
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjones View Post
I think you will be Ok. Enjoy you vacation and fix the truck with new injectors when you get back home. Talk with Brent at LDS or someone reputable and they will provide you with solutions
I’d agree, not making oil, if oil pressure is good and motor and transmission staying within limits you should be ok.

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Find an auto parts store and buy several 80 oz jugs of Power Service Diesel Kleene. Pour 1/2 bottle into you tank for first treatment and then use about 1/4 bottle per fill up for about 1000-1500 miles, keep track of your oil and check you balance rates after each tank of fuel to see if they improve. If your injectors are carboned up and not spraying a good pattern, there is a good chance your smoke will clear up and your balance rates will improve. Please check back and let us know if this helps. I have helped many others including myself with this technique.

2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in