No fuel to fuel filter or out of fuel filter - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By G2GBY

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
nvhorseman
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

No fuel to fuel filter or out of fuel filter

2004 GMC 2500HD Diesel 4x4. I have a problem with fuel delivery from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. I have bought and replaced all parts of the fuel filter, including the filter. Checked for suction which is good. Checked for fuel export to the engine by priming fuel pump then turning the engine. The engine will start if the fuel filter is primed but stops when the fuel filter fuel is consumed completely. Will not restart. I had this problem previously and did the full monty on bleeding the fuel filter...etc. Had limited success. Waited for 6 days, bled the fuel filter again and tried to start. The truck started on first turn-over and ran for 9 days, then the fuel cut out again and that's when I bought the fuel filter and associated ring gaskets, etc. Did everything as per instructions but never got another start unless the fuel pump was primed. Then truck would run until no more fuel. Anyone got any ideas on fuel relays or fuel fuses or ANYTHING that might be wrong that I can fix. On a scale of 1-5 tell me how difficult it will be. 3 on that scale is no problem. Thanks guys!!

Supplemental information on truck: I have an extra diesel tank in the bed of the truck that has a pressurizing "pump" on it to keep the fuel flowing from the supplemental tank to the engine when the main tank gets down to 1/4 full. I am the second owner of this truck. Runs great (when it runs) and pulls great too. No extras have been added on except the extra fuel tank. Former owner never had a problem and traveled on vacations using this truck only for vacations when pulling his 5th wheel. The truck was winterized every winter and serviced before traveling. Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace

Moved to "First Generation Duramax" for better views and responses

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 12-14-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

I've heard adding a lift pump will alleviate this, but all it really does imho is mask a problem. It sounds like the CP3 isn't sucking enough to keep filter full.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
horsemannv
Sparkplug Hunter

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll look into it but I don't think it is the CP3 (but then again, I am new at this) because the truck has run 2 times after "fixing" one thing or the other, for extended periods of time (approx. 1 week and then 2 weeks) but then the same symptoms came back and now it will not run again. It won't even catch when I try to start it. But again, Thanks for your input. You are the only one that has responded!
New to this type of forum. Hope to not irritate too many by asking stupid questions. I know just enough to get me in trouble. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra HD 2500 diesel, automatic, 4x4. No customizations, strictly stock with the exception of "things" that have been done to correct manufacturer faults. My truck is my work and I live in the sticks. So running into town is a 3 hour round trip. I hope I can be of some help to someone, someway.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

No Start or Hard Start

Excessive fuel restriction, check or change fuel filter
Use vacuum gauge, check the suction, you should have no more than 5 inches Hg at WOT (wide open throttle) or 7-8 inches Hg under load. If you have too much suction, after changing the fuel filter, the restriction could also be the sock in the tank. Too little vacuum (less than 2 inches Hg) means that it could be sucking air.
Check for air in fuel system, install clears lines before and after the filter housing to check for air in the lines.
Confirm actual versus desired rail pressure, even under crank no start conditions
If the above check good, then it comes down the following.
a. fuel injectors (see injectors for more diagnostic information)
b. high pressure injection pump – CP3
c. Fuel pressure regulator, check to make sure it is not stuck.
d. fuel pressure relief valve (high pressure limit valve), check to make sure it is not leaking into the return system when rail pressure is 160 MPa
Before condemning the high pressure pump you need to make sure there are no high pressure fuel leaks. Use the EN-47589 (same block-off caps as #9011 SPX Miller tools) cap set to cap off the injector rail to isolate the injectors from the injector return system.

Fuel Supply and Fuel Filter Housing

The fuel filter housing is on the suction side (there is not a supply pump from the factory) and are prone to suck air. Follow the GM fuel system diagnosis in the service manual.

Install fuel vacuum test tool.
Prime the fuel system with the hand primer until 10 PSI is indicated on the gauge, check for external leaks and repair. If the pressure drops from 10 PSI to 2 PSI in less than 1 minute, remove the fuel outlet line from the filter and cap it. Remove the ignition 1 relay and crank the engine for 2 – 15 second intervals, the high pressure pump should pull at least 12 inches of Hg vacuum. If air gets into the system it will cause a false/low reading.
Install clear hoses at the inlet and outlet of the fuel filter housing. Re-prime the system and then start the engine, there should be very little air going into or coming out of the fuel filter housing.
Common air ingestion places are the filter housing, plugged filter, drain valve, rubber hoses and connections. You need to use clear lines to isolate where the air is coming from and work your way back toward the tank until you don’t have any more air coming through the clear line. Unless you know where to get the tool that sees through black rubber lines to find air, your only other option is to bounce around and replace parts.

High Pressure Injection Pump (CP3 Pump)

Before condemning the pump for a starting issue you need to be certain that the high pressure fuel system is not leaking the pressure. Perform the injector return flow test.
If there has been a major contamination issue with dirt and or water then it is very likely that the high pressure pump will need to be replaced. However, the injectors are typically damaged first, but any contamination that got into the injectors went through the CP3 pump first.
The most common failure of the high pressure pump is the inability to keep up with high fuel demand such as towing a trailer up a hill. This problem will usually set a low rail pressure code.
Other Notes:
• If the vehicle has starting issues then the injectors are the most likely cause. Perform the injector return flow test.
• If the vehicle only acts up during a hard pull with a load and there are no restriction issues then it is more likely a HP CP3 pump causing the problem. A limit valve could also cause this problem.
Injectors

It takes about 2500 PSI rail pressure for the injectors to deliver fuel and the engine to start.

Injector return flow; maximum allowable leakage for one injector is 5 ml in 15 seconds, maximum per bank is 20 ml: check when cranking, with the FICM disabled, pressure should be 114 – 135 MPa during cranking. Specifications are for API rating of 40-44.
GM only provides a specification for return fuel when cranking for LB7 engines, however, we have done some testing on a good running LB7 and found that injector return flow at idle from one bank was 95 – 110 ml in one minute at 21,000 PSI.
Excessive leakage from the injectors usually results in a starting issue, which could occur hot or cold, but usually occurs hot because the fuel is thinner when hot. However, excessive leakage from the injectors can also cause a DTC P0087, P0093 or a P1093 to set. When using the scan tool to increase rail pressure at idle, if you can’t get to 21,000 PSI then the injectors are usually bad.
You can also use balance rates to help determine if you have any bad injectors. If an injector is leaking excessively into the return the balance rates are often at the edge of specification. Injectors that have a poor cylinder power contribution or a noise or smoke change when canceled will also need to be replaced and are likely to cause low rail pressure during cranking.
LBZ Enhanced Injector Return Flow Test- GM has come up with a test for use on the later Duramax engines. This test is specifically for the LBZ engine, but could be applied to LLY and LMM engines also. The test steps are listed below-
Engine at normal operating temperature, 181-189 deg. F.
Remove return hoses from one bank of injectors.
Use adapters to run hoses off of injector returns in to individual graduated containers.
Run engine until fuel flows from all four injector return hoses. Then with the engine at idle, command rail pressure to 17,400 psi with the scan tool. Place the hoses in the graduated containers for 30 seconds.
Turn off ignition and record measurements.
Repeat above steps on the other bank of injectors.
Add up all recorded measurements to determine total injector return volume. If the return volume is less than 144 ml for all 8 injectors, refer to the high pressure pump test. If the return volume is greater than 72 ml per bank, replace any individual injector with return volume greater than 18 ml.
Other Injector Notes
Balance Rates, when checked hot in drive after a hard test drive, should indicate bad injectors. Any injectors that are more than +/- 6 are a possible cause for rough run.
Miss, smoke or rough run usually indicate that the injectors are the cause. LMM engines with a DPF may not show any smoke, but frequent DPF regen events would suggest poor combustion.
We have seen a couple of vehicles with no starting issues, but injector return is excessive at higher rail pressures, this can cause a P0093 or P1093.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-07-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in