Question: Stock Exhaust Straight Pipe Question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
SomeFireMedic98
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Stock Exhaust Straight Pipe Question

I am wanting to straight pipe my stock exhaust, doing so, will it throw any codes? Thanks for the help.

All Stock for now motor wise..
Ultra Phantom Wheels
Stock straight pipe exhaust, axle dump with a 5 inch tip.
Firefighter/EMT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

You have a CAL. Emissions truck? Otherwise LB7's won't throw a code.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 07-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

I have a Federal (non Cali) and when I removed the muffler no codes. No cat from the factory
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackLBZHD
Diesel Fanatic

You wont throw any codes. Before I had duramaxtuner EFI live my LBZ would throw EGR flow insufficient every month or two and I would just clear it. No big deal at all.
DSP5 by DuramaxTuner, EGR 100% DELETED UPPIPE DELETED. HSP 3 " Y BRIDGE AND INTAKE TUBE BEHIND ALTERNATOR, Weather tech floor mats, PPE Race Fuel valve, LB7 UP-PIPE Magnaflow 5 Inch downpipe back, PPE STAGE 3 TIE RODS, MA magnetic transfer case drain plug, Pacer Smoked cab lights with LED bulbs,OPT7 LED FOGS LOWS AND HIGHS Denali punch grilles,Intake resonator plug,Caterpillar fuel filter adapter w/ CAT 1R-0749 opti-lube in every tank,Mishimoto magnetic oil drain plug, XPD crancakse breather fittings rerouted on either side, Amsoil oil only! University of Alabama and dealership technician/ fraternity man
Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
SomeFireMedic98
Diesel Rookie

Thanks guys
All Stock for now motor wise..
Ultra Phantom Wheels
Stock straight pipe exhaust, axle dump with a 5 inch tip.
Firefighter/EMT
Old 07-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
SE-R Spec
Heat Sink

Muffler delete gives the perfect exhaust note IMO on the LB7. Did mine a few months ago and wondered why I didn't spend the $40 on the pipe sooner.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

Mine is a fed emmisions and straight piped with cat removed, no codes, but I also have since EFI Live and turned the egr system off and removed the sucky vacuum pump as well.
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
maxinDixon
Diesel Boss

01 cal emissions trucks had no cat and no egr. That headache did not start until the 02 year model and then even some fed fleet emissions trucks had them (ask tolli). Even so, on the LB7 of any emissions and years, removing the cat will not throw a code unlike as the LLY and later might do.
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness and fuel pump with harness, HIR lowbeams, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, Horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion, injectors at 112,265, injector #8 replaced at 136,078 and again all 8 at 168,368.

VW '01 NB TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio DLC520 nozzles, Malone stage 2 tuning. Driving made fun!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

The drone kills me, considering putting the stock muffler back on.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in