New cp3 no start, not filter housing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 04dmax88

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
04dmax88
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New cp3 no start, not filter housing

Just replaced cp3 on my 2004 lb7, only desided to change since truck just hit 300k and that is the only part in fuel system i havent replaced yet ( thinking id change it before i had issues) surprising it was the original pump! I have everything back together and truck will not start. Not holding prime. I have checked every connection and there is no signs of leaks. I have pumped and cranked 6 times now. Nothing! With ignition key on the air dog makes primer rock hard, once i turn key off i lose prime fairly quick. No visible leaks. Tried spraying a little starting fluid in intake, still nothing

I have read many threads with same symptoms, but ends up being filter head or leak in lines somewhere. I have zero fuel leaking. So far i have bypassed filter head and disconnected return line at firewall to confirm cp3 is pumping/no clogs. 1/2 tank of fresh fuel aswell. Any further ideas?

I would suspect it to be an electrical issue due to not firing when starting fluid was used, except im losing prime..

Truck has edge cts, k&n intake, 5" straight pipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dmax88 View Post
Just replaced cp3 on my 2004 lb7, only desided to change since truck just hit 300k and that is the only part in fuel system i havent replaced yet ( thinking id change it before i had issues) surprising it was the original pump! I have everything back together and truck will not start. Not holding prime. I have checked every connection and there is no signs of leaks. I have pumped and cranked 6 times now. Nothing! With ignition key on the air dog makes primer rock hard, once i turn key off i lose prime fairly quick. No visible leaks. Tried spraying a little starting fluid in intake, still nothing

I have read many threads with same symptoms, but ends up being filter head or leak in lines somewhere. I have zero fuel leaking. So far i have bypassed filter head and disconnected return line at firewall to confirm cp3 is pumping/no clogs. 1/2 tank of fresh fuel aswell. Any further ideas?

I would suspect it to be an electrical issue due to not firing when starting fluid was used, except im losing prime..

Truck has edge cts, k&n intake, 5" straight pipe
You must be throwing some codes? what are they?

I'd stay clear of starting fluid with these engines - I've heard bad things can happen.

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Something as expensive as a CP3 to replace just for mantinance is unheard of. If that's all that was done put your known good one in.
The only thing electrical with your CP3 is your FPR valve. Is this plugged in?
GM Part 97728979 FPR, REGULATOR KIT, Fuel Injection, REGULATOR KIT,FUEL PRESSURE(PART OF 1
Did you disconnect your batteries? You didn't short out your TCM?
It takes approximately 2500 PSI rail pressure to start.

High Pressure Injection Pump (CP3 Pump)

Before condemning the pump for a starting issue you need to be certain that the high pressure fuel system is not leaking the pressure. Perform the injector return flow test.
If there has been a major contamination issue with dirt and or water then it is very likely that the high pressure pump will need to be replaced. However, the injectors are typically damaged first, but any contamination that got into the injectors went through the CP3 pump first.
The most common failure of the high pressure pump is the inability to keep up with high fuel demand such as towing a trailer up a hill. This problem will usually set a low rail pressure code.
Other Notes:
• If the vehicle has starting issues then the injectors are the most likely cause. Perform the injector return flow test.
• If the vehicle only acts up during a hard pull with a load and there are no restriction issues then it is more likely a HP pump causing the problem. A limit valve could also cause this problem.

No Start or Hard Start

Excessive fuel restriction, check or change fuel filter
Use vacuum gauge, check the suction, you should have no more than 5 inches Hg at WOT (wide open throttle) or 7-8 inches Hg under load. If you have too much suction, after changing the filter, the restriction could also be the sock in the tank. Too little vacuum (less than 2 inches Hg) means that it could be sucking air.
Check for air in fuel system, install clears lines before and after the filter housing to check for air in the lines.
Confirm actual versus desired rail pressure, even under crank no start conditions
If the above are ok, then it comes down the following.
a. fuel injectors (see injectors for more diagnostic information)
b. high pressure injection pump
c. Fuel pressure regulator, check to make sure it is not stuck.
d. fuel pressure relief valve (high pressure limit valve), check to make sure it is not leaking into the return system when rail pressure is 160 MPa
Before condemning the high pressure pump you need to make sure there are no high pressure fuel leaks. Use the EN-47589 (same block-off caps as #9011 SPX Miller tools) cap set to cap off the injector rail to isolate the injectors from the injector return system.
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 04-26-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
04dmax88
Gear Grinder

No codes listed on cts. What is proper technique for bleeding fuel system after cp3 install?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
04dmax88
Gear Grinder

Disconnected lines around cp3 and filled them with diesel. Reassembled and it fired right up! Mustve had air stuck in there. Btw truck runs way better now with new cp3. Idle is Much more smooth and a considerable amount of power gained back. 300k on old cp3 definitely had taken its toll. I disagree with waiting to replace it until i had issues. Especially due to mileage on truck, hard to believe its unheard of...but what do i know
Old 08-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aftermath2014
Low Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dmax88 View Post
Disconnected lines around cp3 and filled them with diesel. Reassembled and it fired right up! Mustve had air stuck in there. Btw truck runs way better now with new cp3. Idle is Much more smooth and a considerable amount of power gained back. 300k on old cp3 definitely had taken its toll. I disagree with waiting to replace it until i had issues. Especially due to mileage on truck, hard to believe its unheard of...but what do i know
I have a brand new engine and I have a good prime to the filter, but when I cracked one injection lines all I got was a trickle of fuel out when cranking. It is a run tested engine. This is the problem I'm having. I'm going to try this tonight.
Duramax tuner w/optimized factory tune
Old Today, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Beareair640
High Compression

Michigan Oil Burners Member

oil flow

Here is an oil flow picture
Attached Files
File Type: docx *Oil flow.docx (68.2 KB, 0 views)
Banks Exhaust, banks big head wastegate and Six Gun Tuner, Rear air bags
Pace Edwards Tonneau Cover, Bed Carpet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in