Diesel Place banner

Batmowheel then dead turbo

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  LTChip 
#1 ·
I just had a batmowheel installed and I blew my turbo days later. When they turbo shop did the install they rebuilt the turbo supposedly. I liked the spool and the sound from the batmowheel and the truck seemed very powerful and responsive but obviously lasting less than 200 miles, something went wrong. I only stomped on it a couple of times and it was boosting to 34 or so.

Questions:
What could have went wrong? (I know I'll find out when they do the tear down)

What turbo upgrade whole or in part has fast spooling and very good reliability with the ability to produce high levels of boost with durability?

NOTE - Truck has studs and a built trans (SCIV). I run a modified EFI tune.

What harm can it be to drive with the seized turbo?

#2 ·
IHI turbos do not like that high of boost I wouldn't have gone past 30 PSI tops chances are they did nothing wrong you just pushed it past it limits Being its a lighter wheel guessing it broke the shaft after it barked (rapid slow down of the wheel). As for driving with a seized turbo I wouldn't any debris will be pushed through the intercooler and right off the engine nevermind the fact that these engines require boost to run correctly I can see high soot loads clogging injector tips and valves

#3 ·
Roger that.
I'll have to decide what to do now.
BD Supermax install and then rebuild and sell the broken batmowheel turbo is what I am thinking

#4 ·
I see what happened now - the installing mechanic tightened my Kennedy Boost Valve all the way down which over-boosted the turbo when I stopped it. He probably did not know what that was and what it did.

I drove it home 40 miles after the boost went to zero and will probably drive it to the shop since any debris would likely have already been ingested. But wont use it everyday until it is fixed.

#5 ·
Any thoughts on adding the BD Turbo Guard?
Also, will I need the Kennedy Boost Valve if I get the BD Super Max?

#6 ·
no real need for the blow off valve (bd turbo gaurd) on a diesel unless you really get high HP as for the kennedy boost valve on a super max nope shouldn't be needed that turbo will supply all the air and then some

#7 ·
Roger that. Thanks for the answers.

#8 ·
Turns out the waste gate clamp dislodged (according to mechanic as best as I can translate from his Spanish). Perhaps the batmowheeled IHI is going to live to fight another day. Will report once I drive it tomorrow. Still pursuing an S366 upgrade most likely but I'll see how things go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.