Lift Pump. Need advice on why and which one. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Johnnydingding
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Lift Pump. Need advice on why and which one.

I've owned my truck for about 8 years. It's all stock and has NO tuner.
It's got 212k on the clock and I believe it's got lots of life left in it.

Anyway, I've been experiencing some fuel related issues recently. (I posted a question earlier today about low rail pressure.)
I also had a start, stall and no start last week. Rebuilt the fuel filter head and that seems to have solved that issue.

I need to restore my faith in the durability of my rig and think maybe it's time to invest in a lift pump.
My questions are what are the advantages of having one and which one is best for my truck. I have no plans on performance mods or tuner. I'm happy with it in stock form.

Thanks!

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax, Allison & NP263XHD
New injectors @ 145,000 (June 2011) and 211,000 (June 2016) * Kennedy Twin Lift Pumps * Nicktane Fuel Filter Conversion * PPE Boost Valve * 2" Ready Lift Leveling Kit * Banks Exhaust * SS Brake Line Kit * Hadley Train Horn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
superpro56
Diesel Boss

Michigan Oil Burners Member

A lift pump will ease some of the stress on the CP3, as it is in stock form, this part performs double duty: drawing fuel from the tank via vacuum pressure and also highly pressurizing that fuel to be injected into the cylinders. A lift pump is going to provide an ample supply of pressurized fuel to the CP3 basically removing one of the tasks of that part. This is a must do on tuned trucks because as HP increases, so do fuel demands. On a stock truck this is less apparent but there is still some benefit to be had. Most lift pumps these days are sold as a combo including air separation and additional filtration for the fuel. If you are only looking for a pump only, look at the offerings from Kennedy Diesel, they also offer additional filtration as an add on to the pump setups. If you are looking for a self contained unit including filtration and air seperation take a look at the AirDog Units. Typically these units are louder due to the type of motor used than the Kennedy units, although I never had a problem/complaint of noise while the truck was running with my AirDog unit.

2002 Silverado LS 2500HD CC/SB, EFI Live V2 DSP5 by Duramaxtuner, Big Dipper Trans w/ PI converter, Danville LBZ CP3 w/modded regulator, Banks Techni-cooler, 4" MBRP all stainless exhaust with 6" tip, Kennedy boost controller, Air Dog 150, Kennedy Billet Pickup and custom bulkhead fittings, Intake horn mod, SD manifold, S&B intake, Cognito HD tierods, pump rub fix, Autometer Cobalts on the A-pillar (fuel press, boost and pyro), Recon smoked cab lights and smoked 3rd brake light, Kodiak badging, Cooper Discoverer 265/75/16, ExtangRT Tonno, Tekonsha Prodigy, Husky liner floor mats, Line X OTR, Lund stainless cold front grill cover

540HP/1033TQ @ Danville Performance 8/21/09
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
LBZjunkie
Diesel Apprentice

Even stock you will one day experience your dreaded start/stall, no start due to no fuel. Your rubber hoses will deteriorate and eventually suck air, partially collapse, giving you a low fuel rail pressure also. A lift pump won't magically fix all fuel related concerns for ever, but it will be a very good investment. I went with a single Kennedy and added my own filters to it, leaving the OE in place. All that is needed is a little pressure, if I'm not mistaken my single pulling through one filter and pushing through two additional I'm aroun 2-3 psi. IIRC.
Primary/secondary fuel filter's, OE still in place
Firestone air bags
Pacbrake onboard air
EGR delete
Junk *** POS Duramileage tuner-WTF WAS I THINKING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Kennedy's lift pump will solve any and all future problems with fuel delivery.
2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
jon5212
Diesel Boss

INDP Member

I was going to add, if you are not planning on making big power, a single small pump like A kennedy would suffice, You don't need an Airdog or a Fass.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

I'm saving up now for a Kennedy single to add to the pre-filter I added a while back. It looks like the wiring harness that Kennedy offers makes the mod super simple.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Old 06-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydingding View Post
I've owned my truck for about 8 years. It's all stock and has NO tuner.
It's got 212k on the clock and I believe it's got lots of life left in it.

Anyway, I've been experiencing some fuel related issues recently. (I posted a question earlier today about low rail pressure.)
I also had a start, stall and no start last week. Rebuilt the fuel filter head and that seems to have solved that issue.

I need to restore my faith in the durability of my rig and think maybe it's time to invest in a lift pump.
My questions are what are the advantages of having one and which one is best for my truck. I have no plans on performance mods or tuner. I'm happy with it in stock form.

Thanks!

A couple of Tech Tips worth reading:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...ift%20pump.pdf

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...20Failures.pdf

And some decent background on selection here:

Kennedy Diesel
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
SpikeDmax
Diesel Apprentice

Another going with a Kennedy pump soon.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Johnnydingding
Self Ignition

Installation of the Kennedy Single lift pump doesn't require removing the tank...correct?

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax, Allison & NP263XHD
New injectors @ 145,000 (June 2011) and 211,000 (June 2016) * Kennedy Twin Lift Pumps * Nicktane Fuel Filter Conversion * PPE Boost Valve * 2" Ready Lift Leveling Kit * Banks Exhaust * SS Brake Line Kit * Hadley Train Horn
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

I saw some installation steps that did not require dropping the tank and it depends where you connect your pump in the line. I think the Kennedy kit attaches at the top of the tank and in some cases you have enough room to attach the replacement line.But before dropping the tank, it is often easier to disconnect the bed and shift it back enough for access. Since I installed the pre-filter along the frame rail I've already have cut and spliced in the fittings for the filter head and will mount the pump on the existing filter head.

2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by Sturgeon-Phish; 06-02-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in