Glow Plug Circuit Problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
OKTOC2
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Glow Plug Circuit Problem

I am new to posting on this site. I have been reading the posts for some time now and have found them to be very helpful. Right now I have a glow plug issue. I replaced injectors and glow plugs in June of this year and have not had any problems until last week. I went out to crank my truck and the batteries were dead. After searching the different forums online I checked the amperage draw to my glow plug controller. Sure enough the controller was stuck. I removed the controller and opened it up. The glow plug relay was welded closed. Upon further inspection the glow plug connecting strap was burned in two. I replaced the glow plug relay module and the glow plug strap. After getting everything back together I turned the key to check the system and the glow plug strap started smoking. The relay is OK, but the new strap is shot. Would a bad glow plug cause this? It is burning just in front of the #8 plug. Could a bad plug have caused the relay to overdraw current and weld shut? Just trying to figure out what caused the original problem... any ideas on what the next step should be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
THEFERMANATOR
Diesel Guru

Make sure the other strap isn't rusted through and laying against the head shorting out the glow plug system.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
OKTOC2
Low Boost

Thanks Fermanator, The other side seems to be in good shape. I just had the straps off the truck in June when I replaced the plugs and injectors. I am guessing right now that it may be a bad injector. I believe the plugs were DieselRX. Unless someone chimes in with another idea I will start removing glow plugs and checking them tonight. I checked number 12 when I installed the controller since it took the most abuse and it was fine. Will let you know what I find.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
OKTOC2
Low Boost

Wow! Just read my reply. Should have said "bad glow plug". Guess I was in a hurry going to work this morning.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
THEFERMANATOR
Diesel Guru

There has been more than a few with problems with the diesel rx plugs. I personnally will oNLY run ac delco/beru plugs.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
OKTOC2
Low Boost

Been out of town for the week and weekend. Just had time to work on the truck. Took all the glow plugs out to visually inspect and check by hooking them to the battery. Found the #1 plug fried. Knew there was a problem when I grabbed it to unscrew the nut holding the strap. The plug fell apart in my hands when I got it out. The number 2 plug also had a loose core. It checked ok on the battery test, but I am replacing it also while I have everything out of the way. I put the ohm meter on the wire connecting right and left side and it checked out fine. On my way to the store to pick up two plugs and maybe have this thing running in a couple of hours.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
OKTOC2
Low Boost

Have not had time to post, but here is the final outcome. Installed two new Delco/Beru glow plugs (#1 & #2) and a new glow plug strap on the driver side (passenger side ok). Changed Oil and Filter while I had it in the shop along with a new Cat fuel filter. Been running it all week and everything seems to be good. Here a a few pictures of the plugs and strap. Not sure right now which came first, the stuck control relay or the burned glow plug Please chime in if you have any ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (24.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0136.jpg (29.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (26.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
careytst
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to careytst

Your glow plug was the issue, caused a very high current draw through the glow plug relay. You should replace the other six plugs to avoid more problems.
02 2500HD LT/ CC/ SB/ Alison 1000/ 6.6L DMAX/ Predator/ Banks Monster Exhaust/ Banks Exhust Brake/ Stock Wheels & Tires/ DropIn K&N/ Smitybilt Side Bars/ SuperGlide 5th Hitch/ Digital Readout Backup System/ PowerVision Mirrors/ ISSPRO Guages on "A" Pillar Mount..Boost-EGT-Oil Temp/ Backup Camera System On 5th Wheel Trailer/ Magellan GPS System / BakFlip Tonneau Cover/.................................................. I lOVE MY TRUCK
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in