Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/7-duramax-first-generation-2001-2004-lb7/)
-   -   Glow Plug Circuit Problem (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/7-duramax-first-generation-2001-2004-lb7/797745-glow-plug-circuit-problem.html)

OKTOC2 01-03-2016 09:01 PM

Glow Plug Circuit Problem

I am new to posting on this site. I have been reading the posts for some time now and have found them to be very helpful. Right now I have a glow plug issue. I replaced injectors and glow plugs in June of this year and have not had any problems until last week. I went out to crank my truck and the batteries were dead. After searching the different forums online I checked the amperage draw to my glow plug controller. Sure enough the controller was stuck. I removed the controller and opened it up. The glow plug relay was welded closed. Upon further inspection the glow plug connecting strap was burned in two. I replaced the glow plug relay module and the glow plug strap. After getting everything back together I turned the key to check the system and the glow plug strap started smoking. The relay is OK, but the new strap is shot. Would a bad glow plug cause this? It is burning just in front of the #8 plug. Could a bad plug have caused the relay to overdraw current and weld shut? Just trying to figure out what caused the original problem... any ideas on what the next step should be?

Thanks.

THEFERMANATOR 01-03-2016 11:39 PM

Make sure the other strap isn't rusted through and laying against the head shorting out the glow plug system.

OKTOC2 01-04-2016 06:31 AM

Thanks Fermanator, The other side seems to be in good shape. I just had the straps off the truck in June when I replaced the plugs and injectors. I am guessing right now that it may be a bad injector. I believe the plugs were DieselRX. Unless someone chimes in with another idea I will start removing glow plugs and checking them tonight. I checked number 12 when I installed the controller since it took the most abuse and it was fine. Will let you know what I find.

OKTOC2 01-04-2016 06:40 PM

Wow! Just read my reply. Should have said "bad glow plug". Guess I was in a hurry going to work this morning.

THEFERMANATOR 01-04-2016 10:34 PM

There has been more than a few with problems with the diesel rx plugs. I personnally will oNLY run ac delco/beru plugs.

OKTOC2 01-11-2016 11:25 AM

Been out of town for the week and weekend. Just had time to work on the truck. Took all the glow plugs out to visually inspect and check by hooking them to the battery. Found the #1 plug fried. Knew there was a problem when I grabbed it to unscrew the nut holding the strap. The plug fell apart in my hands when I got it out. The number 2 plug also had a loose core. It checked ok on the battery test, but I am replacing it also while I have everything out of the way. I put the ohm meter on the wire connecting right and left side and it checked out fine. On my way to the store to pick up two plugs and maybe have this thing running in a couple of hours.

OKTOC2 01-16-2016 01:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Have not had time to post, but here is the final outcome. Installed two new Delco/Beru glow plugs (#1 & #2) and a new glow plug strap on the driver side (passenger side ok). Changed Oil and Filter while I had it in the shop along with a new Cat fuel filter. Been running it all week and everything seems to be good. Here a a few pictures of the plugs and strap. Not sure right now which came first, the stuck control relay or the burned glow plug Please chime in if you have any ideas.

careytst 01-20-2016 10:15 PM

Your glow plug was the issue, caused a very high current draw through the glow plug relay. You should replace the other six plugs to avoid more problems.