New York State Inspection question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
foreman00081
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to foreman00081 Send a message via Yahoo to foreman00081

CNY Diesel Club Member

New York State Inspection question

i know there arent smog tests in NY (yet at least) but my inspection is way overdue and ive got an engine light on. i cant remember the code but its the one for the glow plug circuit. it should still be under the extended warranty so i need to get it to the dealer to get fixed but i need the truck to get to work. anyways what i cant remember is do they scan the computer on the diesels for codes like they do gas vehicles? if not then i should be able to get it inspected without getting it fixed first.

'03 GMC Sierra Crew Cab short bed Duramax LB7, 4x4, custom black and silver 2 tone paint, 6" Full Traction lift, 20" chrome ice metal rims with 37/13.5/20 Toyo MT's. other mods: AEM Brute Force intake, tint, kenwood cd...
ATS E-POWER TUNER set on level 9 for now
Merchantized Stage 3 tranny by Eric at MA
coming soon: exhaust, lift pump
450 HP / 750 TQ on superflo dyno 7/19/08 (ATS on level 10)

98 Honda Foreman 450ES 4x4, HMF pipe, K&N filter, jetted carb, 26" Super Swamper Vampire ASX tires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
elite1354
Block Heater

State Inspection

The truck will not pass with the check engine light on.You can go to A Inspection station and fail and i think you have 72 hours to get it fixed.Most dealer can do state inspection.The readiness codes need to be set so if you clear the light you will have to drive about 50 mile to set the readiness codes.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Get that CEL cleared up, and you'll be good to go. BTW, they're doing emissions tests on our trucks here on LI. Anything over 8500#, IIRC. Funny, my inspection station always enters the wrong GWVR.....Hmmm.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
foreman00081
Diesel Nut

Send a message via AIM to foreman00081 Send a message via Yahoo to foreman00081

CNY Diesel Club Member

thats the first ive heard of emissions testing in NY. i kept my cat though so if it ever makes it up here then i could throw it back in.
'03 GMC Sierra Crew Cab short bed Duramax LB7, 4x4, custom black and silver 2 tone paint, 6" Full Traction lift, 20" chrome ice metal rims with 37/13.5/20 Toyo MT's. other mods: AEM Brute Force intake, tint, kenwood cd...
ATS E-POWER TUNER set on level 9 for now
Merchantized Stage 3 tranny by Eric at MA
coming soon: exhaust, lift pump
450 HP / 750 TQ on superflo dyno 7/19/08 (ATS on level 10)

98 Honda Foreman 450ES 4x4, HMF pipe, K&N filter, jetted carb, 26" Super Swamper Vampire ASX tires
Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brimfield
Diesel Head

elite1354 is right about driving around here in Ma I was told to get 500 miles. I thought that I would out smart them by clearing a code on my wifes GMC just before an inspection and thats when I was told that the computer had insuficient data and got me the big R sticker.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mad Maxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie454 View Post
Get that CEL cleared up, and you'll be good to go. BTW, they're doing emissions tests on our trucks here on LI. Anything over 8500#, IIRC. Funny, my inspection station always enters the wrong GWVR.....Hmmm.
All you gotta do is get rid of the Commercial Plates, and get Regular ones, and you are good to go and Emissions Free, all it'll be is a Safety Inspection.

I got 'em on my Truck.

...but if you Tow Heavy, you need the Commercial Plates.

Last edited by Mad Maxx; 05-05-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

Won't I have to convince DMV that I've got a cap, or seats mounted in the bed, or some other crap? I know that plenty of guys are running passenger plates, I just thought it wasn't in the cards for me. What's the best way to transfer to passenger plates?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mad Maxx
Banned

Quote:
Won't I have to convince DMV that I've got a cap, or seats mounted in the bed, or some other crap? I know that plenty of guys are running passenger plates, I just thought it wasn't in the cards for me. What's the best way to transfer to passenger plates?
All you gotta do is bring them the Title to your Truck, say you want to Trade in your Commercial Plates for Passenger Plates, and if the Weight Printed on the Title is UNDER 5500lbs, you get Passenger Plates, nothing else to Show / Prove to them.

The Weight on my Title is 5490lbs. I made it by 10lbs.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

My reg shows weight at 6360#, and my title shows 5830#.....somebody made a mistake somewhere along the line, still dosen't get me below 5500#. Seeing as how we have essentially the same trucks, how could there be such a discrepancy between weights? Did Chevrolet change their weight classifications between '05 & '07 to get your '07 registered as a passenger vehicle?
My "guy" says that the sticker in the door jamb tells the real story; if your gross is below 8500 or so, you're considered a light duty truck. Mine is listed at 9200, making it a medium duty - subject to emissions.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mad Maxx
Banned

Quote:
My reg shows weight at 6360#, and my title shows 5830#.....somebody made a mistake somewhere along the line, still dosen't get me below 5500#. Seeing as how we have essentially the same trucks, how could there be such a discrepancy between weights? Did Chevrolet change their weight classifications between '05 & '07 to get your '07 registered as a passenger vehicle?
My "guy" says that the sticker in the door jamb tells the real story; if your gross is below 8500 or so, you're considered a light duty truck. Mine is listed at 9200, making it a medium duty - subject to emissions.
Damn, that sucks. I found out through the NYS DMV Site. It had the Info on there about the 5500lb Weight Limit, and they go by what it Says on the title, not on the Truck.

When I saw I was under 5500lbs on my Title, I was Sittin there thinking, who the Hell Screwed Up on my Title and said this thing Weighs ALOT more than 5490lbs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in