odd looking cylinder walls? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
jssouthtx
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

odd looking cylinder walls?

posting pics tomorrow. Shop says I probably shouldn't worry about it but they wont say threre is no problem either. Doing a head gasket job (128k) and there appears to be nearly uniform markings around the top 3/4 of the cylinder walls...on all 8 too. Best verbal description would uniform hotspots will get pid uptommorroz

04' lb7 ccb lwb 4x4, bullydog w/crazy larry,dynomite 50hp injectors,afe stg2 intake,4" magnaflow no cat. transgo stg2,alto clutches,dayco billet convertor..37"km2's w/procomp lift, and yukon 4.56 gearing....
[B][I][FONT=Comic S. SOLD

2015 Sierra 2500 SLT Z71 summit white. 0 mods and staying that way! Minus a few dress up and protection musts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
800mountaincat

I believe they are the hard surfacing spots. I was told that it keeps the cylinder from developing a ridge as is the case in a standard gasoline engine with high miles.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

induction hardening. Normal.

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
KEVINL
Diesel Veteran

leopard spots?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
keith_2500hd
Diesel Champ

who's doing work; dealer or outside shop?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
jssouthtx
Diesel Fanatic

Lone Star Diesels Member

first off thanks for all the input....outside shop doing the work and he's saying pretty much what ya'll are. bolt it up and run it. Which is the plan now that I've had a look at the internals myself. I would like to recommend this shop to anyone in or around houston for diesel work. They are'nt done yet but the experience so far has been really personal and pleasing. TRM AUTOMOTIVE AND DIESEL SERVICE...randolph rd in pasadena tx. Will up date when i get my carriage back.. thanks again for the input. will get pics up soon... dealing with hurricane aftermath down here.
04' lb7 ccb lwb 4x4, bullydog w/crazy larry,dynomite 50hp injectors,afe stg2 intake,4" magnaflow no cat. transgo stg2,alto clutches,dayco billet convertor..37"km2's w/procomp lift, and yukon 4.56 gearing....

2015 Sierra 2500 SLT Z71 summit white. 0 mods and staying that way! Minus a few dress up and protection musts.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
jssouthtx
Diesel Fanatic

Lone Star Diesels Member

here's the pics

Anybody got a guess as to what made these marks my best guess is maybe something to do with fuel spray pattern. The shop says there is not any loss of surface area on any of the marks nor can they be felt. still got a few more pics...working on em
Attached Images
File Type: jpg internals1.jpg (47.5 KB, 778 views)

Old 09-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
ripmf666
Diesel Expert

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssouthtx View Post
Anybody got a guess as to what made these marks my best guess is maybe something to do with fuel spray pattern. The shop says there is not any loss of surface area on any of the marks nor can they be felt. still got a few more pics...working on em
Like they said above new blocks have these what most call leopard spots, Its part of the induction hardening were the rings do not eat away at the bore.

and George aka BigDipper
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60'
RIP LBZ 6/1/[email protected]:44pm she was strong
She's Alive again
Born on July 27, 2008, 11:59:02 PM
Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Posting Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssouthtx View Post
I already answered this question 4 posts up.

ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive

Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; 09-20-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
jssouthtx
Diesel Fanatic

Lone Star Diesels Member

never doubted you BEN, i just know that it's alot easier to diagnose some things when you can see them instead of just someones description. Thank you all again for your responses. Hopefully i can return the favor sometime

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in