OFFROAD DIESEL - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
turbodiesel03

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

DOES ANYBODY RUN OFFROAD OR KNOW IF IT WILL HURT ANYTHING

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
2K2AD
Diesel Head

I have read a few on here run it on their farms, most feel it is the same fuel with dye added. If so, the only thing it will hurt is your bank account if you get caught. The fines are no joke!

Kevin

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2003, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
dutch
Diesel Starter

Have ran it when the road fuel tank was empty. Don't think it's the same but just not sure. Truck sure does smoke a lot more with farm fuel. Usually run road fuel though.
Ranch Hand grill guard. Westin step bars. high idle.
work truck: 08 GMC Duramax 4x4 shortbed, tuned, Ranch hand full replacement front and rear bumper, Edge Insight.

Truck pics

farming pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
JohnnyO
Diesel Apprentice

turbodiesel03 -

Now you an't no revenuer are ya! -Jed Clampet

Edited by: JohnnyO
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
KYB MonoMax shocks
ISSPRO EGT & Boost
2004 Coachman Chaparral 281BHS
PullRite 24K SuperGlide Hitch
Old 11-26-2003, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Duckhunter220
Block Heater

I have ran it for 6 years in a powerstroke 150,000+ miles no problem.

My Duramax filter is plugging up at 7,000 to 10,000 miles, I have heard that that is not uncommon for these filters. I am wondering if the dye in the off-road fuel isn't part of my problem. I do not travel without a spare filer and wrench.

My tank is bulk filtered and I change that filter every other load of fuel. None of my other diesle powered equipment has a filter plugging problem either so I am thinking that the Duramax filters are just finer.

But the truck will run fine on off-road. I know of others that have run Cummins & Powerstrokes on it also.

Replaced Alternator At 105,000, 127,000 & 179,000
Batteries? Lottsa batteries!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Randolph
Block Heater

I work for a transportation company in South Carolina. The IRS delegates most of the field enforcement to the states and their commercial truck enforcement divisions. These agencies test for off road (high sulfur) a couple different ways. 1) Visual inspection for the color of red fuel (sometimes black when mixed with lowsulphur green fuel). 2) Actually pulling a sample with a siphon pump and a roadside lab setup.

So in my experience with my fuel distributors, there IS a difference in the sulphur content between on road low sulphur (green) and off road high sulphur (red). Most people I know comment on the odor of the exhaust fumes when burning high sulphur fuel.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Fanatic

When I switched to red fuel in our off road tank we started changing fuel filters at 1/2 the hours. Seemed the off road fuel was always full of algea so when we switched back to road fuel the filter plugging also stopped.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Idle_Chatter
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

"Always full of algae..." I wonder if sulphur level has anything to do with algae growth? Hmmmmmm
(A)ACLU #79

"To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That right existed prior to the formation of the new government under the Constitution and was premised on the private use of arms for activities such as hunting and self-defense, the latter being understood as resistance to either private lawlessness or the depredations of a tyrannical government (or a threat from abroad)."

United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia -- March 9, 2007
Old 11-27-2003, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pick
Diesel Apprentice

Algae growth has to do with the amount of water in the fuel. Sounds like the tank it came from has not been maintained. One of our fuel distributers that has a gas station at their tank farm has 3 tanks marked "High Sulphur Off Road Diesel". I have a 150 gallon bulk diesel tank for my tractors. It has a 20 micron water seperator filter on it. I have not tried it in my truck. Don't think I ever will, unless it is an emergency. "If it were't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

'72 31' Airstream Travel Trailer
18' 10,000 GVW Ridgelane Equipment Trailer
2 Horse Bumper Pull
Old 11-27-2003, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
EngineerBill
Self Ignition

I use off road in my ford diesel tractor which is supplied by a local fuel dealer. I have tried to use the highway diesel in the tractor and noticed it smokes less and had slightly less power when working it hard. The ford tractor dealer told me not to use the highway diesel as it "lacked the proper lubricity for the older style engine fuel pump and injectors" and the seals are "not designed for the low sulphur fuel". I have a 150 gallon tank with 10 micron filters. As with PICK I do not plan on trying it in my Duramax, I think it would be a bad choice.

Engineer Bill

2003 Sierra 2500HD D/A, RC/LB, Fire Red, Line-X bed liner, Vent Visors, Wayne Bed Caps, Black Westin Nerf Bars, Husky mud flaps F&R, FPPF, SS Bleeder Screw, Fumoto Drain Valve, High Idle, Kennedy Hdlt Har kit,
Delvac 1, VR Straps, Post OEM - Racor 660R2, Bilstens
2000 GMC Sanoma EC/SB 4cyl
1991 GMC Sierra EC/SB 4x4 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in