Looking at a local LB7 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
EdsGTI

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Looking at a local LB7

Hey guys, i'm new on here but not in the car scene. I own a shop thats based around vw/audi/import turbo cars and its 99% drag racing based. Im an engine builder, fabricator and tuner. I have a 2002 suburban now 5.3L 4x4 and its a pig. I have been having the hardest time finding a duramax that I liked but have been reading back and forth between the different model years and about injectors.

What do you think I should do. I use this truck to commute ~50 miles per day round trip. It will be towing approx 2 days per week (for now about 7k lb load total) but I plan on moving up to a larger trailer and a total load under ~12k.

Is this a mistake, will I regret buying this truck since I myself am not a diesel mechanic and I will be getting raped on injector failures from what I am reading on here?

Here is the truck, I put in for a VIN check request a few minutes ago after finding a truck I decided to register here instead of just reading.

My suburban is flawless as far as mechanical issues I just dont want to have to buy a truck and have it turn out to be less reliable and more costly than my race car...

http://downtownautonet.com/profile.a...=&FilterMake=0

Thats the truck, its a private non gm dealer, so no warranty will be in place (I assume, I haven't verified this yet)

Thank you in advance

Regards,
Ed Woolsey
Owner - www.ForceFedEngineering.com

Last edited by EdsGTI; 01-13-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

After the vin check comes out and you can verify everythng, I see alot of earlier Dmaxs on the road and people like them

2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
EdsGTI

yeah im waiting on that. Im sure it will come through today, thats a very cool feature on this site.

Also ive been reading people saying gm will replace them if they go bad (injectors) is there an original warranty that is transferrable from owner to owner? Or is it that common of a problem that gm makes good for it.

Also from what ive been reading it jsut seems like people either have a **** load of problems or have none at all. Is it pretty much like if your truck has problems it just will continue to have problems.

And lastly with the injector thing, is GM at a point where they have actually gotten a fix for the injectors or they just keep replacing them with units that are prone to failure with no revision? If so does anyone run aftermarket injectors or is the fuel filtration the one to blame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
sparky1562
Diesel Champ

Keep reading. Search Injectors and Special Policy.
You find answers to all these questions.

Keep in mind people don't generally come on here to say they have no problems. The LB7 injectors are an issue. If you own and shop and have what I assume is a higher than average mechanical ability, you should be able to handle changing them out for the cost of the parts after the 7yr/200K special policy is gone. (from original purchase date - will be on the VIN check).

Start here and follow the links.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...ghlight=buying
MKW M26 Wheels BFG 265/70R-17/E
Fold-a-cover, trailer brakes, B&W Turn Over Ball
New Injectors at 83,670, ISSPRO Pyro and Boost Pillar mount. PPE Boost Valve. PPE Excellerator.
Cognito pitman and ilder arm brace. Bilstein Shocks at 100K.

Last edited by sparky1562; 01-13-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
radar1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1562 View Post
Keep reading. Search Injectors and Special Policy.
You find answers to all these questions.

Keep in mind people don't generally come on here to say they have no problems. The LB7 injectors are an issue. If you own and shop and have what I assume is a higher than average mechanical ability, you should be able to handle changing them out for the cost of the parts after the 7yr/200K special policy is gone. (from original purchase date - will be on the VIN check).
You onoly hear much of the Wrong things that happen. I have an 03 that has only 28K miles on it and I know if the injectors die on me I will likely have to pay for it since the time will come before the mileage does happen. But thus far I have not had one thing happen to it since I got it with 7800 miles on it.
Take care of the truck and I am sure it will not let you down
Old 01-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
sparky1562
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar1053 View Post
I have an 03 that has only 28K miles on it and I know if the injectors die on me I will likely have to pay for it since the time will come before the mileage does happen.
Drive that thing! I am in that same boat. No way I will hit 200K in 7 years. I plan to keep mine way beyond that. I plan on making a list of what you need to do, and what tools you need so that I am prepared to do it myself if and when it happens.
New Injectors at 83,670, ISSPRO Pyro and Boost Pillar mount. PPE Boost Valve. PPE Excellerator.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
sparky1562
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsGTI View Post
What do you think I should do. I use this truck to commute ~50 miles per day round trip. It will be towing approx 2 days per week (for now about 7k lb load total) but I plan on moving up to a larger trailer and a total load under ~12k.

Is this a mistake, will I regret buying this truck since I myself am not a diesel mechanic and I will be getting raped on injector failures from what I am reading on here?
How many miles are on it? The price seems a little on the high side, but the truck looks nice. Run the KBB price on it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
EdsGTI

it has 60k on it and its super super clean. Im going to go take a look tomorrow.

Last edited by EdsGTI; 01-13-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in