6.2 BUILD Buck the '82 Rescue Burban - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Builds
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Builds Doing a build? Got questions? Ask here and Share your story (& Photos!) here as it proceeds.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MojaveMuse
  • 1 Post By MojaveMuse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
MojaveMuse
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Buck the '82 Rescue Burban

Buck was my buddies suburban and he loved him "Drives like a Cadillac" he'd say with a smile. I would just nod because to be honest Bowtie hasn't been in my wheelhouse of knowledge. let alone diesel ones.

some time ago something happened, lost to memory now and he had his brother futz with it to make it right and it didn't. and so instead of trying to chase down the problems not being a blackthumb he used Buck for storage.

and so his story may have ended.

so we're chatting cars and he mentions he's ready to get rid of Buck and willing to donate it to our other yard art...err truck project as the engine was strong and the one in the other truck is...well she's tired. and quite possibly blasphemous putting bowtie into blue oval.

we come and take a look and the suburban is in really good shape, yay for the deserts preservative properties. get what tires will hold air to hold em and a swap a tire to roll.

issue 1 - keys are lost to time so no unlocking the steering wheel to put into Neutral... nothing that some drill bits and tactical application of sledgehammer cannot fix. Buck put up a fight but ultimately no match for my husbands skills. needed to get a new ignition switch anyway so no big loss there
Issue 2 - two broken windows passenger middle and the windshield. hoping easy enough to find out there with this body having been made just shy of a forever according to my researching.

so some application of elbow grease and a tow strap we get it rolled out of it's nestled hole to where the towtruck can pull it out and bring it the next town over to my house. my neighbors probably think I have a problem now.
free trucks isn't all that bad of a problem IMO lol.

we let the rain give it a good washing as spring tries to decide what it wants to do. Finally got a warm weekend so time to evict the spiders and the leaves and take an assessment.

good: pulled the fuel filter off and while a little varnishy smelling, doesn't smell rotten or jellied. so putting that as a Plus for now

good: the interior seems to be okay. further inspection is needed to see if some seatcovers will be fine.

silly: the light adjusters have rotted away from the sun so it's a little derpy.

weird: it seems to maybe have been lowered in its life, not that i'm complaining not needing the stepstool to reach the air filter. but wonder if it will be alright on rough desert dirt roads. should it live again easily it's plan will be family camping/towing rig.

worry: that whatever driveshaft issue it had killed first gear. but the trans does have fluid in it, but won't know much more than a dipstick reading until we can drop the trans pan and check for...bits. looks like a 700 is under there but hard to tell between the flats and being low

question: the power steering reservoir seems to just be hanging in space by its hoses. I doubt that's where it's supposed to be. trying to locate a digital copy of a repair manual so I can learn but not had luck yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
MojaveMuse
Low Boost

first steps

put a little oil in it, a lot of water in it, some Seafoam and a pair of batteries

bastard cranked right over, squealed and whined about being woken from it's slumber and threw a belt in it's temper tantrum, but so far so good. i'll take it.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
MojaveMuse
Low Boost

tinkering day two

during the brief startup the Waterpump was not spinning and therefore the fan also not spinning and that does no do.

get the WP off after moving its pulley friends off to the side (and very happy it has the PS pump bracket on there, just not the reservoir bracket, weird but I can work with weird)Lower Radiator hose just tore into shreds from getting oil on it.
The Pump fought but lost to Sir Sledge of Hammertown. Full of Rust. Looks like a previous owner didn't believe in the good word of Coolant. so in it's future will be flushes. hopefully the Radiator isn't clogged up. WP backing plate looks alright just needs a good clean

New WP has been painted with some leftover engine paint I had from my last project just as an extra layer and because my husband and I are weird like that lol

was amused it has cruise control. hopefully once we figure and fix all the wrongs it'll be real fun.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
MojaveMuse
Low Boost

closer look at the backing plate and it's pitted after a good cleaning.
so now searing the net for one. Blarg. here I thought oh it's GM parts should be plentiful LOL on me on that one
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in