6.2 BUILD 6.2 Powered S10 4wd Army Build Thread - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Builds
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Builds Doing a build? Share your story (& Photos!) here as it proceeds.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Frizzlefry
  • 1 Post By Frizzlefry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Frizzlefry
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.2 Powered S10 4wd Army Build Thread

Hey guys, This will be the official build thread for my 6.2 powered 97 s10. The motor came out of a 92 gmc school bus, and the truck itself was abandoned at our shop (have a title, no worries). To start off, I already have the engine out and actually almost completely finished. The truck already has the engine and trans taken out (2.2 and a 5 speed) and i've also pulled the engine harness and all the accessories that go with it, however, i do still have all of that stuff in case i need something. Lets get to the build, the truck is going to get a 4wd swap. I'm going to use a Dana 30 in the front for now and either the matched dana 53 that i cant find parts for, or a 9 inch ford that i have laying around. It has 4.56 gears so crawling will be a piece of cake lol. I'm going to repaint the truck flat tan with black accents and such, lots of military lettering to replace the stock badges too lol. I'm going to build a stack-rack at some point as well. As for the engine, i have pretty much done all i'm going to do to it for now. I've repainted it the same paint scheme as the truck is going to be (tan and black), put new gaskets, turned the pump up a hair, new fuel pump, etc. This is going to be a bit of a main side build lol (that shows how many projects i have going right now....) so i dont know how much or how little progress will be made. Here are some pics to get things started, i will try to post as many as i possibly can as i go.

This is the truck that i'm starting with, nothing special.... yet....

Here's the drivetrain out of the truck.

The bus

Engine while it was still in the bus

What it took the get the engine out of the bus (forklift wouldn't make it up the hill....)

Got it out.

In the bed of my truck

On a stand that my dad built back in high school

Started tearing it apart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Frizzlefry
Heat Sink

It doesn't look like the pics loaded... I hate third party image hosting.........

Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Frizzlefry
Heat Sink

They should be in the same order as earlier so i dont have to retype the captions
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Frizzlefry
Heat Sink

Started getting things cleaned up

Surprisingly, all of the exhaust bolts/studs came out with ease

New gaskets, water pump, fuel pump, etc.

Got everything all painted up

This is the front axle i have to work with.

This is just kinda where i left the engine for now.

This is my favorite part of the engine....
Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Frizzlefry
Heat Sink

I'm hoping to start working on this project again pretty heavily in the next few weeks. The bay that I need has a 6.0 excursion getting a bullet proof job so I don't really have a place to do any mock up since the other bay has a drive on lift in it and I can't really roll the engine hoist around in there. I still need to get a hold of a transmission and transfer case and a set of small block swap motor mounts so I still have a long ways to go lol. I also still need to finish painting my injector lines and such. I'm hoping this swap will go relatively smoothly. This truck is kind of the third project down the line right now so i cant go spending buckets of money on it at the moment. I've got my '70 Ford F200 daily driver project and a '77 Ford F150 4WD project in front of this thing right now lol.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
sportsman7
Diesel Apprentice

nice work, looks good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in