Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/610-builds/)
-   -   6.5: 1995 Chevy K3500 Dually Build in The Netherlands! (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/610-builds/933378-1995-chevy-k3500-dually-build-netherlands.html)

Thijmen156 10-03-2017 01:18 PM

1995 Chevy K3500 Dually Build in The Netherlands!
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody,

So, this is where it all starts. After being the proud owner of my K3500 Dually for almost a week now, I've started the build!

First some pictures of the truck in it's current state:

Thijmen156 10-03-2017 01:28 PM

Yesterday I tinted the back cab windows in 5% Limo Black tint. First time tinting windows for me, so not perfect, but I am pretty happy with the result!

Today I got a pair of new front tires, and started om some minor rust repairs / prevention's. Removed the weather strips from the bottom of the doors, and wasn't happy about what I uncovered there.. Immediately removed as much rust and dirt as possible with a wire brush. Applied anti-rust and then a layer of spray paint. Should be good for the time being.

Also I restored the front US lights to it's original state (stupid regulations in my country don't allow US lights when a car get's imported). Looks a lot better. Still looking for the amber bulbs to fit next to the already amber blinker's in the bottom lamps (see picture) as they are now white :thumbsdow . Obviously those are not available in my country since US lights are not allowed, so will have to wait for them to get shipped overseas.

I also included some pictures of the big rust patch underneath the drivers side extended cab. I will hopefully get this welded and painted ASAP, together with new front quarter panels since they are shot underneath the fender flares :banghead: .

When the rust is taken care of I can start on the most fun part so far: the 6"lift kit and front-end rebuild! Though this will probably take a few months of saving up.

Thijmen156 10-03-2017 01:31 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I also installed some mud guards and cleaned the weather strips so they can be reinstalled tomorrow when the paint is dry.

Rambos_Ride 10-03-2017 09:30 PM

Love the California plate! I've got a 51 Hudson Hornet and I run the original California plates since its so old!

I don't see the big patch-o-rust on the back of the cab pic?

Quote:

...Applied anti-rust and then a layer of spray paint. Should be good for the time being.
Good! it won't stop it, but will slow it down..somewhat! I'd be saving up for some new/aftermarket doors..once the rust gets in the pinchwelds theres no way to fix it. Better off replacing the sheetmetal when you can.

Does that thing really need a 6" lift? Looks like theres a 4" on it now - or blocks in the back and someone cranked up the torsion bars in the front?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of lift kits for everyday drivers. I like to use my trucks for hauling/towing stuff and you just can't easily get into the bed of the truck with that kind of a lift.

Maybe at 22 the thought of always jumping into and out of your truck doesn't sound too bad!

Add 33 years, a "few" pounds :hehe: , and some major injuries...if I had a truck lifted like that I'd blow a knee or a hip out trying to use it!

Keep up the good work!

Thijmen156 10-04-2017 04:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride (Post 9336210)
Love the California plate! I've got a 51 Hudson Hornet and I run the original California plates since its so old!

I don't see the big patch-o-rust on the back of the cab pic?

Quote:

...Applied anti-rust and then a layer of spray paint. Should be good for the time being.
Good! it won't stop it, but will slow it down..somewhat! I'd be saving up for some new/aftermarket doors..once the rust gets in the pinchwelds theres no way to fix it. Better off replacing the sheetmetal when you can.

Does that thing really need a 6" lift? Looks like theres a 4" on it now - or blocks in the back and someone cranked up the torsion bars in the front?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of lift kits for everyday drivers. I like to use my trucks for hauling/towing stuff and you just can't easily get into the bed of the truck with that kind of a lift.

Maybe at 22 the thought of always jumping into and out of your truck doesn't sound too bad!

Add 33 years, a "few" pounds https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/ima...ilies/hehe.gif , and some major injuries...if I had a truck lifted like that I'd blow a knee or a hip out trying to use it!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your reply! The Cali-plate is originally from a Chevy Van from a friend of mine in Cali.
I forgot the picture of the rust patch, thanks for mentioning!
I was hoping the doors would still be saveable. Oh well, i?ll see how long they last in Dutch-weather haha!
As far as I know the truck hasn?t been lifted, I don?t see any blocks on the rear, maybe an extra leaf but that?d be it. I have always loved the look of lifted trucks, hence it will be one of the first things I?ll do. As far as I know of I?ll be the only one in my country with a lifted Dually, which makes it even better. I don?t really ?need? the truck for work or towing or anything. Regelations in my country don?t allow me to load/tow that much without a trucker license... For me it?s a child dream and more of a hobby.
I definately see your point that for a hauler/tower it wouldn?t be so practical haha!

deejaaa 10-04-2017 08:45 AM

that will definitely be a head turner, esp if it's the only one.
too bad about the rust. is salt used on the roads there?
what size tire? i run 235/85R16LT. they are tall and skinny.
confused: those turn signals aren't US spec? if not, what are the specs?
tuned in for the progress.

Thijmen156 10-04-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 9336706)
that will definitely be a head turner, esp if it's the only one.
too bad about the rust. is salt used on the roads there?
what size tire? i run 235/85R16LT. they are tall and skinny.
confused: those turn signals aren't US spec? if not, what are the specs?
tuned in for the progress.

Yeah salt is used here in the winters.. so that sucks. I?m still looking for the best way to avoid rust in the future, since this is my daily driver and I need it in the winter too.
I run 235/85/16 as well. Too skinny for my likings, but okay for the time being. After the lift kit is installed I will be looking for new rims and tires, preferably 36? tires, but it?s too early to get into that now, first need to get the money together for the lift kit and front end rebuild haha!
I?m still confused about the turn signals, they get tampered with when the vehicle gets imported in my country, trying to get them back to the us standards

Thijmen156 10-04-2017 10:32 AM

It will probably take around 2 to 3 months for me to get the lift kit and front end components here, since I wanna order it all in one go to save on transport costs.
In the meantime I will keep doing minor modifications to keep things interesting.
E.g. Towing mirrors, LED taillights, light bar and some working lamps.

Thijmen156 10-04-2017 11:07 AM

@deejaaa I made a video explaining some more about my indicator problem:


OkDually 10-04-2017 11:21 AM

The side marker indicator in the fender is not Stock from GM.
It appears that your country requires that type of side marker indicator which would only activate with the use of the turn signal.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide