6.5 BUILD 1995 Chevy K3500 Dually Build in The Netherlands! - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Builds
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Builds Doing a build? Got questions? Ask here and Share your story (& Photos!) here as it proceeds.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride View Post
I was joking around looks to me like someone smeared some bondo over the rust and threw some paint over it - usually when you see a rust hole like that the rust is bubbling out from under the paint - in that pic it looks pretty smooth so thats another reason I thought someone tried a prior hack-ish repair (not you!)
Aah I see, it's hard to pick up on the camera but the paint is bubbling a lot around the hole. I wonder how it started though.. No holes on the other side as far as I could see, so wonder where dirt and **** came in from.
Really want to find the cause, since I don't want rust to come through again in a few years after I fix it.

Hopefully be ordering the quarter panels and this one next month. Then get it welded in and re-painted. The front grille will also be painted black while I'm at it.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
deejaaa
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

the front side markers are amber from the factory. clear is aftermarket.
the rust on the cab could be coming from an interior leak. windshield, drain plug missing, hold down bolt removed......

"Member #1 of The A$$h0le Club" Your signature is most appropriate.
Black 93 1 ton crew cab, fuel/boost gauge, spin-on pre-FFM filter, 6.5 stock, 30 gal bed mounted tank,soon to be siphon tank, w/Goldenrod on feed, brought home 9/4/08, Turbo that starts with A, OEM crossover, quad headlights, reskinned door cards/headliner, 2 power-ports on lower dash, hour-meter, 235/85R16LT tires, GV unit(2K rpm at 68 mph w/4:10's), TCI EZ-TCU 4L80, working on DD Radio install, OEM tank removed but soon replaced.
Proud Member #11 of the 3500 CC LB SRW Club
Member #1 of The A$$h0le Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subclatter View Post
...get it under control or someone might cave in your head someday.....People get killed everyday because of attitudes like yours. All it takes is running into the wrong person at the wrong time. You shoot off your mouth and they shoot off your head and suddenly you're pushing up daisies.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
the front side markers are amber from the factory. clear is aftermarket.
the rust on the cab could be coming from an interior leak. windshield, drain plug missing, hold down bolt removed......

I see, thanks! Got my US lights fixed today, amber lights came in earlier than expected!

What is the 'hold down bolt'? Never heard of that term before haha

Okay, so this might be a little early, but then again never too early to get some information. I was walking around my truck today with my dad, debating on wheels&tires after the lift.
We figured there's a few options:

6 identical rims&tires, a little bit wider than the original. Can't go too far in on the rear because of the leaf springs, and obviously we don't want the rear tires rubbing each other..

Option two we figured was to get 4 identical rims&tires on the rear, and 2 different one on the front. Then either remove the front wheel hub extension and put on a normal tire, or keep it on and look for a rim that comes more towards the outside of the car (hence why in that option I couldn't have 6 identical because they would be rubbing in the rear).

I'm not a hero when it comes to wheels and tires, and I believe it's different in the USA as well (for example we don't have 19.5 inch wheels in Europe) so any help here would be appreciated.

I added a picture, just to give an idea of the overall height I'm trying to achieve, and the width of the wheels I'd like.

I really like the wheel width on the blue one. And I think that's about as wide as I'm gonna get away with in the rear without the tires rubbing. I believe the front tires are a bit wider, which will look good with some extended fender flares (regulations here don't allow tires to stick out more than 3 cm) hence the fender flares. Also as far as I can see they removed the hub extenders at the front.

I use myself as a reference and would like the top of the bed to be at least at eye-level, maybe a little higher, but not too overkill.

22" would be the absolute maximum size rims for me, I'm hoping to go a little bit smaller and still achieve my desired overall height.

But then comes the million dollar question(s):

What offset and what size tires do I get on them? As said before I know absolutely nothing about wheels and tires.

Any suggestions / pictures etc welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

Forgot the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2017-10-06 at 17.47.35.jpg (40.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

With that size tire/wheel on the back you'll probably want a set of spacers so the tires won't rub. There are a lot of good reviews for Fred over at wheeladapters on DP.

Wheeladapter.com - dually spacers.

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Old 10-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
deejaaa
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thijmen156 View Post
I......What is the 'hold down bolt'? Never heard of that term before haha..............
a bolt for one of the seats but now that i think about it, i think they use studs.
front hubs will have to be machined unless you get a hub from a single wheel truck.
Black 93 1 ton crew cab, fuel/boost gauge, spin-on pre-FFM filter, 6.5 stock, 30 gal bed mounted tank,soon to be siphon tank, w/Goldenrod on feed, brought home 9/4/08, Turbo that starts with A, OEM crossover, quad headlights, reskinned door cards/headliner, 2 power-ports on lower dash, hour-meter, 235/85R16LT tires, GV unit(2K rpm at 68 mph w/4:10's), TCI EZ-TCU 4L80, working on DD Radio install, OEM tank removed but soon replaced.
Quote:
...get it under control or someone might cave in your head someday.....People get killed everyday because of attitudes like yours. All it takes is running into the wrong person at the wrong time. You shoot off your mouth and they shoot off your head and suddenly you're pushing up daisies.

Last edited by deejaaa; 10-06-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride View Post
With that size tire/wheel on the back you'll probably want a set of spacers so the tires won't rub. There are a lot of good reviews for Fred over at wheeladapters on DP.

Wheeladapter.com - dually spacers.
Thanks! Didn't think about that yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
a bolt for one of the seats.
Aah I see, thanks, learned something today

Made a new video today with my GoPro filming the exhaust sound.

WARNING random orgasm might occur
That turbo whistle never gets old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggByM_mujpM
Old 10-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
deejaaa
Diesel Champ

too cool!
Quote:
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

My new front axle Actuator got in today, replaced it, and now my 4x4 is working perfect!

Also looked into ordering the new Fenders and panel for the rust underneath the back of the cab. Shipping costs came at a whopping $500?! There needs to be a cheaper way to get those panels across sea?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thijmen156 View Post
My new front axle Actuator got in today, replaced it, and now my 4x4 is working perfect!

Also looked into ordering the new Fenders and panel for the rust underneath the back of the cab. Shipping costs came at a whopping $500?! There needs to be a cheaper way to get those panels across sea?
Might be cheaper to move to where the parts are

I'd suspect you'll want to save up and purchase a partial container ship the lift kit etc all together.

Maybe check with the place you bought the truck from - see if they get routine parts shipped over in a container from the states..maybe you can piggy back on one of theirs?

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in