The "build" thread. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Builds
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Builds Doing a build? Got questions? Ask here and Share your story (& Photos!) here as it proceeds.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which DPF back system do you think I should opt for?
4" Single Exit 8 32.00%
4" Dual Exit (out the sides) 1 4.00%
5" Single Exit 15 60.00%
5" Dual Exit (out the sides) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
birtch3
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

The "build" thread.

Alright so I've had my L5P for just about a month now... Love it, can not say enough good things about it. This is my first BRAND NEW vehicle so in the past the "mod" bug has never slowed me down.

With that being said, I now have significant warranty to consider before making any major modifications to the truck. This is also my first diesel so keep that in mind.

I check this forum almost daily and it seems that there isn't much activity on the "Sixth Gen" category yet....

SO: here is my contribution. Feel free to comment anything you would like that has to do with modding of your L5P duramax, or anything else of relevance to the conversations for that matter.

The first real "modification" of my truck is in the works... I work for a big name performance company and my vehicle will be the lucky recipient of a new DPF back exhaust for test fitting and the finalization of prototyping for a 5" system . Stay tuned for pictures and updates.

PFA

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT247.jpg (42.6 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Coolbreeze
Diesel Champ

Where is the option for "don't bother". If your towing stuff then I would leave the ugly stock thing on there. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities that you melt something. Some have melted their 5'ers but probably pretty rare for a Standard Bed.

'06 LBZ Silverado 2500HD, CC/SB, LT2 SOLD
Never left me walking!!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

It seems like a lot of effort for zero performance gains, and zero increase in exhaust sound. Why not just polish the factory tip if you're that concerned with looks?
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
dz302
diesel pro

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I'm interested in what birtch3 has to offer here regardless of any gains, losses etc...,Sit back and enjoy what he has to show us. I have a Banks system on my 2017 and it looks 1000 times better than the stock exhaust system. It's all about individuality when it comes to modifications to vehicles. I look forward to seeing what he has to show all of us! Besides all of that its the mans first post on DP, if we are to retain new members and continue to grow we should be a little more welcoming to new members.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.....bring it on Birtch3....I look forward to new 5 inch system andCongrats on the new truck...Sure is pretty in black !

Last edited by dz302; 06-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
godaddy
Diesel Apprentice

Me for one ca'nt wait to see the new pipe! The stockers are so "UGLY" I think! And polishing it would make it still be "UGLY"! Welcome Birch3! Please do post a picture of the pipe!
06 lbz Reg. Cab 4x4, fingered/blocked/bd manifold/tripple dog with outlook monitor, 4in. MBRP turbo-back/PPE down pipe/afe-2 Air Filter/PCV Reroute/Trans Jr. Kit,Kennedy Pump rub upgrade and MA transfer case brace, Amsoil By-Pass Duel Filter, Tie-rods sleeved, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Sulastac Shackles, Kennedy twin pumps/billet pick-up with nictane oem filter head mod. with 2 Cat fuel filters, Manual high idle,Marrothon seat covers,Sound deadend inside,Kick panel lights, totally debadged, 40inch Single Row Southern Lite led bar behind grill(BRIGHT as HELL)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
birtch3
Heat Sink

Hey everyone, glad to get some conversation sparked up! I appreciate the responses no matter which way the opinion falls. With that being said, I will try to respond to each individual. (Pic For Attention)

Coolbreeze: I'm glad you brought up the potential negative side effects, gives me something to think about for sure. With that being said, keep my fingers crossed that all of us avoid any scenarios like that! Does anyone have any experience with the EDGE CTS2 programmer/reader on similar trucks yet? I had an original CTS on my 1500 Silverado and loved being able to read more information than the factory cluster provides me.

BanksLB7Duramax: with my current employment, I will be getting paid as well as enjoying the wrenching time at work to work on my truck up on the lift. I have had aftermarket exhausts on every (non-winter beaters) vehicles I have ever owned. Yes I definitely prefer the looks of aftermarket as well as the sound, but like you said probably won't notice that much of a difference. With that being said... I will be helping my company out, as well as getting a product (that I would eventually be purchasing down the road anyways) so I figure might as well! I enjoy customizing my rides and making them my own, and this is probably one of the least-risky modifications I can do at this point.

dz302: I love the attitude! I appreciate the support from the community and look forward to hopefully making many like-minded online friends in this forum! Cheers!
P.S. do you have any pictures or words of wisdom regarding your truck/exhaust currently? Pros? Cons? any insight would be appreciated!

godaddy: Thanks to you as well! I agree, the factory pipe is a bit of an eye sore, and I will definitely post pictures as soon as we can schedule my truck in with the other engineers.

And to any other thread viewers: PICTURES SPEAK 1000 WORDS! Show me what kind of stuff you decided to change since factory to personalize your truck to your liking!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scagburner
Diesel Newbie

I'm also interested in something that turns the exit out more toward the side. I have Rock Tamer stone guards that I prefer to use while towing the boat but the factory pipe exit would definitely cause melting issues as is. My LMM would have had the same problem but I switched it to an MBRP system with side exit and never had an issue.

2017 High Country DRW Black with Saddle.
2008 Chevy LTZ Crew Cab Southern Comfort Custom Conversion.

6 Pro Comp lift w/ 35 Pro Comp tires. 4" SS MBRP exhaust w/downpipe, EGR blocker, EFI LIVE w/DPS-5.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
birtch3
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagburner View Post
I'm also interested in something that turns the exit out more toward the side. I have Rock Tamer stone guards that I prefer to use while towing the boat but the factory pipe exit would definitely cause melting issues as is. My LMM would have had the same problem but I switched it to an MBRP system with side exit and never had an issue.
I was going to keep the name anonymous but clearly didn't think that one through as everyone would be able to see the name brand on the system duh... But you hit the head on the nail!

I guess people could put two and two together based on my location as well...
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
walleyerod
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagburner View Post
^This^ I had the exact same problem with my LMM. If i didn't turn the exhaust, the right side rock tamer would be a goner. Getting an '18 and when i do, the dpf back will be the first change!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
birtch3
Heat Sink

Well I got confirmation that we've got my truck going in Friday morning. Will post pictures and my thoughts after I drive it home!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in