LLY BUILD Ec/Lb Fresh Start Initiative - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Builds
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Builds Doing a build? Got questions? Ask here and Share your story (& Photos!) here as it proceeds.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ec/Lb Fresh Start Initiative

Just purchased a 2004.5 Ec/Lb Silverado 2500 in need of some major TLC.

I will try add pictures at some point but my priority is to get the truck running on all 8 cylinders first. Then I'll follow up with pictures if I can of what I had to do.

Body Issues:
Body is in decent shape with rockers just starting to have the paint flake. Inside of the bed is badly dented. Front bumper and brackets are missing. Grille and some head light mounting tabs are broken so everything is getting replaced. Oh and the roof is leaking through the factory lights somehow.

Mechanical Issues:
Previous owner claims that the truck wasn't running right so he brought it to a shop and they diagnosed it as a wiring harness issue. They replaced the FICM, glow plugs, wiring harness, and all the injector pigtails. With it still not running properly shop then told him that injectors 2 and 6 were bad. The previous owner elected to sell the truck as is instead of spend the money on the injectors.

I brought it to a mechanic and he said he doesn't think the injectors are bad, but that something wasn't wired back up properly (or not plugged in at all) when the harness was changed out.

My plan of action is to look for any breaks in the wiring to the injectors first, ice pick each one of them with dielectric grease, and see what happens. If that doesn't resolve anything I'll have to go through the entire harness and look for things that appear out of whack. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated. I know giving advice is near impossible since I said it seems like everything under the hood wiring wise has been touched/ replaced.

I purchased an edge insight monitor so I can check and clear codes while I'm troubleshooting it. Hopefully that comes in soon.

Other than that I just want to say hi to everyone on DP. I've learned a lot from this website over the years with my previous LMM. I typically do a lot of reading with little posts of my own, but I'm happy to be back in a duramax!

DD Winter: 2004.5 EC/LB LLY 4" turbo back

Work Truck: 2009 Chevy 3500 LMM CCLB, Banks IQ and Speed brake, Reading Utility body, Tommy Lift Gate

Previous: 2009 Chevy 2500 LMM CCSB, 7" Cognito Lift, 18" BMF Novakanes, 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers, HIDs, MBRP 4" turbo back, PPE Hot +2 ET Race, PCV Reroute... Sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I would actually suggest something like the Autogenuity ODBII reader software instead. The Insight will just read basic ODBII codes, while if you buy the GM-enhanced version of the software, it probes all the systems.

For example, it came up with history codes that all my taillights had been out [they had, and I had changed them out]. It also reads ABS, SRS, HVAC codes.

Note, if you do wind up buying the software, I will get a 0% kickback from the manufacturer.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. I went with the edge insight so that I can also utilize it as a gauge cluster once the truck is up and running again.

Update:
Last night while searching for issues with any wiring under the hood I found two things on the passenger side.

1) I found a female two prong plug similar to an injector plug with two yellow wires not plugged into anything. There was also nothing that I could see close enough to plug it into too (very short lead out of the larger loom going by that area).
2) A lead with a single wire (red with a green stripe) that had a ring terminal. I'm guessing this is a ground wire that was never hooked back up. I couldn't manage to find a bolt close enough for the size of the ring terminal so I extended it and then grounded it by the firewall.

I didn't try to start her after that, it got too late and I want to find out what the first plug is for if I can.

Work Truck: 2009 Chevy 3500 LMM CCLB, Banks IQ and Speed brake, Reading Utility body, Tommy Lift Gate

Previous: 2009 Chevy 2500 LMM CCSB, 7" Cognito Lift, 18" BMF Novakanes, 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers, HIDs, MBRP 4" turbo back, PPE Hot +2 ET Race, PCV Reroute... Sold

Last edited by toyosuprablue; 12-04-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Also I would suggest getting the Service Manual for the truck. It comes with wiring diagrams and diagnostic procedures. It should also help with figuring out which plugs should go where.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I found a link for the service manuals someone posted a while back, but they were $200. Anyone know a more economical place to get them? I really need just the wiring diagrams for now.

Update:
I found another wire with a ring terminal, clearly a ground not connected to anything. I started the truck with both ground wires I found connected near the firewall and the truck sounded ALOT better. Like might not be anything else wrong better. Still haven't found a spot for the one connector that isn't plugged in anywhere on the passenger side. Could it be for an accessory my truck doesnt have?

The truck was still blowing a lot of white smoke while I tested it up and down my block but it mostly could be from the fuel build up from while it wasn't running on all 8 cylinders. I need to reinstall the headlights and take it for a drive tonight to clear it out. I also swapped out the oil because there was a lot of fuel in the oil. That's another way I'll be able to tell if something is still wrong.

Edge monitor should come today so I'll see what codes are still popping up.

Last edited by toyosuprablue; 12-07-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

you could try searching amazon and ebay for the manuals, you can sometimes find them cheaper there.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

Ok I will look again, they would certainly be helpful.

Got the Edge monitor last night and took truck around the block a few times after clearing the computer. Only remaining codes are for mis fire cylinders 2 and 6. Trying to figure out if that definitely means the injectors are bad. I tried to run an injector test after the truck was warmed up and the monitor wasn't reading anything on 2, 4, 6, or 8. I thought that was very odd. To be continued...

Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

I ordered and replaced the injector for cylinders 2 and 6. A little more of a pain in the butt than I anticipated. Got it done but the return line T for cylinder 6 broke off in the old one. That made me have to wait an extra 4 days to start the truck while I waited for the return fuel line kit come in.

Drove the truck this morning. Still dumping white smoke and after a few minutes the CST monitor showed misfire cylinder 2 and 6. CEL didnt come on in the truck yet though. Once I got to work I checked the balance rates. Cylinders 2 and 6 were showing 15 while all the others were showing -7. Not sure where to go from here...

Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

Brought the truck into a diesel shop and had them tear it down to the head to see what is going on. Turns out the motor has two bent valves on the driver's side. Instead of rebuilding that motor I found an identical and complete parts truck. I'm going to swap the motor over hopefully starting tonight or tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
toyosuprablue
Clutch

Motor and Transmission are finally out of the truck. Donor truck's motor is ready to be pulled tonight and then set into my truck. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in