Vane sweep range? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Vane sweep range?

ODO - 141k

My LLY is giving me the lovely P0046/2563 code combo. I know where this is going but wanted to make sure I ruled out everything else. I can only get 20 PSI of boost vs the normal 23 or so (boost, not manifold pressure.)

The symptoms are:

1. It's down on power. Just enough to notice.
2. The spool seems somewhat slow. Again, just enough to notice but it might be that I am just not getting that extra boost.
3. If I really work the engine towing, I can sometimes get stuck at 14-15 PSI of boost max. Not towing up a long steep hill on the interstate ...
4. This truck tends to sit for weeks on end unused. Loved, but unused ...
5. At WOT, I will see a 22 PSI spike on an 1-2 upshift but it settles at 20 PSI. I am pretty much stuck at 20.

If I recall, that last 3-4 PSI of boost (up to 23-24) is where the real power is noticeable. I did a boost test at 20 PSI and nothing showed up. Fun to watch the lower hot-side boost hose puff up though! I didn't hear anything from the EGR, hoses or intercooler.

I started with replacing the vane sensor. I did the learn which was successful and then did a sweep. I get the TC Learned = Yes after the learn.

1. When cold I can sweep it 0% to 94%. But commanding 100% never gets there. It stops at 94%. The changes seem slow but I don't know how fast it should normally change in those 10% increments. It takes about 4-5 seconds for the actual to get to the commanded position (like going from 30-40%.) I can see 80-90% changes even slower.
2. When warmed up it will hang at various percents and at some point stops changing regardless of what percent I command.
3. I was originally thinking the EGR might be opening but since I can't sweep the full range, I don't think the EGR is the problem. I don't see a stuck open EGR affecting the vane position.
4. In the morning, I can do it again and it will change but never hit 100%.
5. Idle is 88% commanded and actual. Cruise is in the 60%.
6. Unless I am working the truck towing, you wouldn't know anything was wrong. No smoke at idle, cruise or WOT.

Questions:

1. Shouldn't I be able to command and see 100% actual position?
2. Is it common for the vanes to hang more when warmed up?

I can't really figure out what is high or low boost vs vane position. Sometimes flooring it caused the position to drop down to the 20's and other times goes above 80. To be fair, this is using my Edge CTS so I assume it's actual and I might just be seeing the vanes hang up.

Yes, either a vane cleaning or turbo replacement is in order. The wheel has no play so when I get it out I'll check the vanes and see if they can be cleaned up but for the effort I might just stick another turbo in.

If there are any other checks I can make I would love to hear them but I and prepared to do a turbo at this point.

Terry

E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan, factory air dam
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
GM Severe Duty brake rotors (SD suffix)
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)

Last edited by terryk; 09-30-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...st-issues.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...046-p2563.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...wrestling.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...-question.html

Last edited by Rvn4me; 10-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Champ

Thanks. I had read through those and I’m even in a couple. Blast from the past!

I’ll pull the down pipe and look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryk View Post
Thanks. I had read through those and I’m even in a couple. Blast from the past!

I’ll pull the down pipe and look.

Which is stupid since you can't see anything other than the exhaust impeller. Next time I say something like that - stop me.

I did determine that you should be able to sweep completely to 100%. A few posts say to check 0-90%. Nope. Up to 100% and down to 0% is needed or a code is likely. And what you might find is that it's very slow to go from 90-100% or 10-0 if ever. If you can only get to 90 or 10 you aren't getting enough. I sat and swept it from 0-100% for 5 minutes and eventually I could repeatedly get to 100%. During the sweeping it would sometimes hang up at various points. But ... it appears, on an LLY. you don't NEED to get to 0% or 100% for full boost or engine braking. It seems to operate in the 30-90% range normally and only sweeps 0-100% or a test. Mine idles at 88-89, cruise at 65 and will dip to 30 if I wail on it. At WOT and under heavy load, the LLY doesn't appear to go to either extreme.

I was trying to think of a way of checking that the solenoid isn't hanging up vs. the vanes sticking but nothing feasible came to mind. Maybe pulling the driver side plug and solenoid and then checking that the plunger will move with a magnet. Several rebuild videos show that nice and clean vanes can be moved easily with just a large telescoping magnet. Might still try it.

But I know it's only temporary. Once it heats up I expect it to hang up. As a final check I will block the EGR and check for any different. If nothing changes, it's TURBO TIME! Clean or replace.

Last edited by terryk; Today at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in