LLY dies while idling after towing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
tlspeed1
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LLY dies while idling after towing

Used this forum for reference a lot, but first actual post as I am lost. Went through the sticky and searched, but haven't quite found anything close to the issues I have.

I have 2005 LLY, 275K miles, factory with the exception of a LBZ mouthpiece, Magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake, and 5 position tune. My problem is it will die on my when idling after pulling my goose neck trailer (5k empty) or any heavier trailer. It has never died when not pulling a trailer, never died while driving (trailer or not). It seems to only do it in the summer months when ambient is above 80F and it idles for 3-5 minutes it will die. I try to start it and it will crank for 2 seconds and throw P0335 crank position sensor code.

When it happened the first time in June of 2018, I crawled under and checked out the wires for the crank positioning sensor, saw no damage and after clearing the code it started up. I eventually replaced the crank sensor, check out the reluctor ring, pulled the harness up, inspected and re-loomed and taped it. I also check out the FICM harness rub that is a known issue, I saw nothing, but looked it over and added rubber hose around the bad spot.

The second time it happen in July 2018. I checked to see if it was still primed and it wasn't. I was able to prime it up and clear the code and its started eventually.

Thinking this was a fuel issue now, I started checking the fuel system out. I switch to a steel filter housing and it died again in August 2018. I rebuilt the filter/prime assembly last fall and had no issues all fall 2018 and spring 2019

Fast forward to July of 2019. Truck dies again, lost prime. Primed it, cleared the code and it started again. I say screw it, and buy a Kennedy lift pump. When installing the lift pump I noticed the line from the tank to hard line is soft in a spot and thought possibly it was collapsing. I install the lift pump, don't see any leaks. Truck seems to run better all around but could of just been a mental thing.

Yesterday August 4th, 2019, truck dies again. Check to see its primed which it is. After sitting in the parking lot with hood open, I clear the code, it starts, I drive home with no issues. I get home, sit and wait a couple minutes it dies. I open hood, clear the code, wait 10 minutes and it starts again.

I scratch my head now and feel its related to something electronic (FICM, ECU, CP3) getting heat soaked but I have no way to prove. Thought maybe fuel pressure regulator, but I have no other symptoms. Another forum mentioned replacing cam sensor just to rule it out.

Anyone have any insight or ideas? This is getting old. Thanks in advance.

Magnaflow Exhaust
EGR Delete
EFI Live DSP5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Durabiopwr
Diesel Fanatic

I would suggest getting like an edge CST monitor or any other means of monitoring data while it does this. For example if you loose all data first and then it shuts down then could be ECM over heating and shutting down. Data will transmit on a running or not running engine in a normal ECM. If all data is not lost then watch what does quit first during the shutdown. That may lead you in the right direction.

Have you checked the bail connecting over the drivers side valve cover? It can rub too. Need protection like the alternator bracket as well.

Sounds electrical for sure. The fact that the crank code throws every time is weird. Like it thinks its still running, but obviously is not so it throws the crank code. Maybe failing/overheated FICM would do that.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

DTC P0335

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC P0335

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit

Diagnostic Fault Information

Typical Scan Tool Data

Circuit/System Description

The hall effect crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal indicates the crankshaft speed and position. There are 57 teeth on the front of the crankshaft sprocket, plus a sync gap. The CKP sensor will output an ON/OFF pulse as each window passes the sensing element. The CKP sensor is connected directly to the engine control module (ECM) by the following circuits:

The 5-volt reference circuit
The low reference circuit
The signal circuit

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0335

The engine is cranking or running.
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor signal is present.
DTC P0335 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.
DTCs P0652 or P0653 are not set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0335

The ECM determines no signal from the CKP sensor.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0335 is a Type A DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

Circuit/System Verification

If DTCs P0652 or P0653 are set, diagnose those DTCs first.
The engine starts and runs.
Engine running, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0335 should not set.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

P0335

Disconnect the CKP sensor.
Test for less than 1 ohm between low reference circuit terminal 2 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If greater than the specified value, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 3 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminal 1 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If less than the specified range, test the affected signal circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If greater than the specified range, test the affected signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, connect a 3A fused jumper wire to the CKP signal circuit terminal 1 on the ECM side of the connector.
Ignition ON, momentarily touch the end of the fused jumper wire to ground. The crank signal present and the engine RPM parameters on the scan tool should change.

If the crank signal present and the engine RPM does not change, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, inspect the wiring harness for any damage, opens, or shorts.

If the circuits test normal replace the CKP sensor.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
tlspeed1
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durabiopwr View Post
I would suggest getting like an edge CST monitor or any other means of monitoring data while it does this. For example if you loose all data first and then it shuts down then could be ECM over heating and shutting down. Data will transmit on a running or not running engine in a normal ECM. If all data is not lost then watch what does quit first during the shutdown. That may lead you in the right direction.

Have you checked the bail connecting over the drivers side valve cover? It can rub too. Need protection like the alternator bracket as well.

Sounds electrical for sure. The fact that the crank code throws every time is weird. Like it thinks its still running, but obviously is not so it throws the crank code. Maybe failing/overheated FICM would do that.
I am in the process of getting a better system monitor data. I have checked the wiring over the valve cover. I didnt see any wear, so I didn't add any more protection, but will look at it again.

I think its weird that it does throw the code until I try to restart it.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
tlspeed1
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
DTC P0335

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC P0335

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit

Diagnostic Fault Information

Typical Scan Tool Data

Circuit/System Description

The hall effect crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal indicates the crankshaft speed and position. There are 57 teeth on the front of the crankshaft sprocket, plus a sync gap. The CKP sensor will output an ON/OFF pulse as each window passes the sensing element. The CKP sensor is connected directly to the engine control module (ECM) by the following circuits:

The 5-volt reference circuit
The low reference circuit
The signal circuit

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0335

The engine is cranking or running.
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor signal is present.
DTC P0335 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.
DTCs P0652 or P0653 are not set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0335

The ECM determines no signal from the CKP sensor.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

Circuit/System Verification

If DTCs P0652 or P0653 are set, diagnose those DTCs first.
The engine starts and runs.
Engine running, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0335 should not set.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

P0335

Disconnect the CKP sensor.
Test for less than 1 ohm between low reference circuit terminal 2 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If greater than the specified value, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 3 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminal 1 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If less than the specified range, test the affected signal circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If greater than the specified range, test the affected signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, connect a 3A fused jumper wire to the CKP signal circuit terminal 1 on the ECM side of the connector.
Ignition ON, momentarily touch the end of the fused jumper wire to ground. The crank signal present and the engine RPM parameters on the scan tool should change.

If the crank signal present and the engine RPM does not change, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, inspect the wiring harness for any damage, opens, or shorts.

If the circuits test normal replace the CKP sensor.

Thanks. Only problem is I have a very small window time to run these tests when the issues arises.
Magnaflow Exhaust
EGR Delete
EFI Live DSP5
Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Crankshaft Position Sensor
If the CKP Sensor signal is lost at any time, the engine will not run.
DTC P0335 sets if there is no signal from the CKP sensor.
DTC P0336 sets if the CKP sensor signal is out of range.

Camshaft Position Sensor
If the CMP Sensor signal is lost while the engine is running, the engine will operate normally.
If the CMP Sensor signal is not present at start-up, the engine will not start.
DTC P0340 will set if there is no signal from the CMP.
DTC P0341 sets if the CMP signal is out of range.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 08-12-2019 at 02:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in