Question: Spare parts to have on hand. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By davester
  • 1 Post By Durabiopwr
  • 1 Post By mp06011999
  • 1 Post By precision37

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Capt Sport
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Spare parts to have on hand.

Hi,

I recently had an idler pulley on my serpentine belt lock up and ruin the belt. I replaced both pulleys and the belt, but it got me thinking. What spare parts would be good to keep in the truck for road trips? I'm thinking specifically parts for the truck. I keep a spare belt but that didn't help me here, now I have spare pulley's but what else would be good to keep in the truck in the way of spare parts? My 05 isn't getting any younger!

Thanks,

jr

Last edited by OkDually; 07-09-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

IMHO, now it's more about preventative maintenance, replacing things as they look sketchy. But for long trips, I would suggest spare fuel filter or two, just in case you get bad fuel.

My truck has a separate belt & tensioner for A/C, you might consider replacing (or having them) if your engine also has A/C on a separate belt. And the tensioner on the main belt if you didn't replace it as it's not clear if you did or not.

After this, I would suggest tools, perhaps the full service manual (paper would be preferred as you may be out of cell range, but online is better than nothing), decent code reader, and jackstands.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Capt Sport
Block Heater

davester,

Thanks for the reply, good point about the belt tensioner, I'll throw one in the truck. My truck just has a serpentine, no separate belt for the A/C compressor.

Also, I carry a pretty thorough set of tools with me at all times. My truck gets regular maintenance, just looking for a list or to create one that has all the parts that are prone to go bad and are reasonable to carry spares for. Thanks again,
jr
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Durabiopwr
Diesel Fanatic

Fuel filter, zipties, bailing wire, electrical tape, some wire, some wire crimp fittings, duct tape, a rag, some gloves, chunk of fuel line, old blanket to lay on and tools of coarse.

Some of the kit i keep, less parts, more Mcgyverizing ability. Parts i put on in shop, or least attempt to.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

I'll add:

* A plug for the fuel / water separator in case it starts leaking.
* I use the floor matts laying upside down for a mat.
* An assortment of Viton O-rings.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
precision37
Diesel Head

Two weeks ago I was heading off to camp for a week and, while stopped at the store, heard a whining from under the hood. Inspection narrowed it down to either the tensioner or an idler. Turned around and went back to the parts store and picked up a tensioner, idler and serp belt, and headed off to camp. It was 92 and I didn't feel like working on a hot truck if I didn't have to. thirty miles later I'm changing the tensoner and serp belt in the Kennebunk rest stop on the Maine Turnpike. These trucks don't steer or stop very well without the hydroboost. The pully siezed and melted, shreding the belt.
I carry a length of 1/4" and 3/16" brake line and some fittings and a flaring tool and tubing cutter.
A spare tie rod.
Tire repair stuff and small compressor.
Hose clamps and some pieces of soda can (to patch leaking power steering lines).
Silicone tape.
Electrical repair stuff.
Extra bulbs.
Extra windshield wipers.
This is in addition to the tools, fluids, filters, etc. that are in the truck.
Also, a decent hydraulic jack (bottle) and some wood blocks.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Capt Sport
Block Heater

precision37,

I had the same thing happen to me, which is why I'm putting together a list of parts to carry with me. Thanks for the input to the list of spares.

Also, a guy I work with had an A/C compressor go out on his return from vacation and left him stranded. I found that Merchant Auto has an A/C delete kit for I assume trucks that are used for racing. It keeps the standard belt routing etc, with a bracket and pulley. I'm looking at getting one of those just in case my A/C compressor locks up. At a $100 it ain't cheap but that's money I'd gladly spend when I'm sitting on the side of the road.

Thanks again,

jr
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in